Braves get Renteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves get Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:54 pm

George_Foreman wrote:I disagree. We got what could turn out to be a marginal upgrade at SS for a HUGE price (It's looking like we'll pay Renteria an average of 9-10M a year for the next three years;

Renteria isn't owed that much by Boston, so how could we be paying $10m a year if they are going to eat contract? I agree in a way, this deal hinges on how much cash is being sent over our way. At the end of the day, like you say this gives us marginal improvement for the next two to three years for a player who was never going to get his shot here for one reason or another.

As for Betemit, I was never as high as others. For a start he doesn't have the range to be a starting SS unless in a pinch. On top of that entering the year with 2nd year players in right field, left field and catcher was always going to be more than enough for my weak heart to handle. Thats before we concider the Davies/James/Larew dilema. You can only win so much with 'potential'.

Take Renteria's 05 out of the equation, and tell me what you think then......
Last edited by rotterdam_82 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:55 pm

If I were a team like the Twins, Mariners, Nationals, Cubs, or Pirates, maybe even SF, I'd be on the phone right now inquiring about Betemit!
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:56 pm

I am disappointed that we gave up on Edgar after one season. He did have some clutch hits (one off Mariano Rivera :-) ) and made some key defensive plays. Yes, 30 errors is a lot and isnt acceptable, but I still believe he could have improved going by his track record. Was he worth 40 mil? Probably not, but thats what you have to pay to get a solid SS these days.

Waiting to see who will play SS - Nomar will you come back? ;-D

Defintely, as someone said earlier, Lowell or Youk is gone (most likely the latter) to free up space for Marte. Perhaps put Lowell at first, Marte at third (if he is ready, I am not up to date on how good he is and if he is ready), Loretta at second and hopefully Nomar at SS (or Dustin but I doubt he is even ready). If Alex cora is the starting SS...... :-P
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:57 pm

Havok1517 wrote:If I were a team like the Twins, Mariners, Nationals, Cubs, or Pirates, maybe even SF, I'd be on the phone right now inquiring about Betemit!

Exactly. Another potential plus point in the Braves search for a closer.
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:00 pm

Havok1517 wrote:As of right now, I've heard Petagine is gonna play SS. But you'd think the Red Sox could have gotten Betemit if they had paid more money. Nomar is still there, Guzman (blocked now), but I'm guessing they go and get Lugo or maybe even Upton. I've also heard talks about Manny going to the Angels for Cabrera and some prospects.

Manny to Angels still could happen... :-D
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby converge241 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:00 pm

Gordeon Edes of the Boston Globe reports, that the Edgar Renteria - Andy Marte deal will be finalized once Bud Selig signs off on the money that is being exchanged between the teams.
The Red Sox will be picking up a portion of the remianing $29 million on Renteria's 3-year contract - how much though is unknown at this time. The Red Sox are expected to look into signing a free agent shortstop(Nomar anyone?) rather construct a deal that would flip Andy Marte to Tampa Bay for Julio Lugo. Dec. 8 - 11:52 am et
Source: Boston Globe
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby BritSox » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:01 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:I disagree. We got what could turn out to be a marginal upgrade at SS for a HUGE price (It's looking like we'll pay Renteria an average of 9-10M a year for the next three years;

Renteria isn't owed that much by Boston, so how could we be paying $10m a year if they are going to eat contract? I agree in a way, this deal hinges on how much cash is being sent over our way. At the end of the day, like you say this gives us marginal improvement for the next two to three years for a player who was never going to get his shot here for one reason or another.

As for Betemit, I was never as high as others. For a start he doesn't have the range to be a starting SS unless in a pinch. On top of that entering the year with 2nd year players in right field, left field and catcher was always going to be more than enough for my weak heart to handle. Thats before we concider the Davies/James/Larew dilema. You can only win so much with 'potential'.

Take Renteria's 05 out of the equation, and tell me what you think then......

Well, take one of his good years out, then see what you do! Seriously, though, IF, as I fear, the sox are paying most of the contract, the Braves get a potential AS shortstop with a big subsidy. Marte's still a lot to give up, but he is, indeed, blocked by Chipper for the next little while, so I can see the sense.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:03 pm

Havok1517 wrote:As of right now, I've heard Petagine is gonna play SS. But you'd think the Red Sox could have gotten Betemit if they had paid more money. Nomar is still there, Guzman (blocked now), but I'm guessing they go and get Lugo or maybe even Upton. I've also heard talks about Manny going to the Angels for Cabrera and some prospects.

Manny to Angels still could happen... :-D
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:04 pm

Rosenthal is reporting the Sox are sending $11m over! Renteria is then owed $6m a year.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5149298
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:05 pm

Valdez for Betemit?
R. Soriano for Betemit?
Crain for Betemit? I heard Min offered Crain for Marte earlier
Nathan for Betemit? He's a FA after 2006 season

mlb4u.com
Wilson Betemit- drawing a lot of interest...Tigers rejected a Craig Monroe for Betemit swap because they wanted a pitcher in the deal as well

Mike Lowell- MIN interested and can offer Kyle Lohse, J.C. Romero and/or Lew Ford...MIN would require BOS to pick up a large portion of his remaining 18M in salaries...BOS unwilling to deal him for now, especially if MIN won't give up Juan Rincon or another top RH reliever in return
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers