Braves get Renteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves get Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:35 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Who's gonna play SS for Boston?

I heard Manny wants to stay in Boston if they make him the starting SS... !+) ;-7
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Armadillo Fury » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:39 pm

If the Red Sox are only taking on a total of 5 mil of Renteria's salary as rumored, I think the Red Sox got a steal.

Renteria was 18th amongst SS's in win shares last season. His defense got notably worse last season when he made 30 errors and was 28th amongst SS's in win shares. He's clearly not the gold-glove caliber SS he once was.

And I guess this means that Lowell will be traded at the deadline or at some point next offseason.
Armadillo Fury
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BritSox » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:39 pm

Yoda wrote:What an awful deal for the Bravos unless the Sox eat most of Renteria's contract.

I get the feeling they just might be.

One of Lowell and Youks is definitely gone now.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:42 pm

First off, :,-(

rotterdam_82 wrote:I'd like to reiterate what I've been saying all along, this is a good move all round. Renteria is only a year removed from being touted as the best defensive SS in the national league, and after 1 bad year I'm not willing to throw him under a bus. He can leadoff, which is a bonus, he's no slouch either and he plays with hustle. I like that in a player, see Marcus Giles for example.

One hole filled, like it or not. Now we can move on.

I disagree. We got what could turn out to be a marginal upgrade at SS for a HUGE price (It's looking like we'll pay Renteria an average of 9-10M a year for the next three years; you're telling me Furcal wouldn't have stayed for 4/40?) when he's coming off the worst year of his career. On top of that, he covers up a strong-hitting SS prospect that could have played for peanuts, AND we have to give up a top 10 prospect. This may make our team better next year and the year after, but I have heard basically nothing about Marte other than that he's going to be an absolute stud. The kid is 22 for chrissake!

Bleh. I can only hope we trade Betemit in a package for something good now, since it seems pointless to have a .450 SLG SS sitting on the bench....

Also, Giles will lead off, Renteria will hit in the 2-hole.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:44 pm

As of right now, I've heard Petagine is gonna play SS. But you'd think the Red Sox could have gotten Betemit if they had paid more money. Nomar is still there, Guzman (blocked now), but I'm guessing they go and get Lugo or maybe even Upton. I've also heard talks about Manny going to the Angels for Cabrera and some prospects.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby Wozzyck » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Havok1517 wrote:As of right now, I've heard Petagine is gonna play SS. But you'd think the Red Sox could have gotten Betemit if they had paid more money. Nomar is still there, Guzman (blocked now), but I'm guessing they go and get Lugo or maybe even Upton. I've also heard talks about Manny going to the Angels for Cabrera and some prospects.

As Petagine is a first baseman, and a pretty poor one, I think you've got a bad source.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Havok1517 wrote:As of right now, I've heard Petagine is gonna play SS. But you'd think the Red Sox could have gotten Betemit if they had paid more money. Nomar is still there, Guzman (blocked now), but I'm guessing they go and get Lugo or maybe even Upton. I've also heard talks about Manny going to the Angels for Cabrera and some prospects.

No way Petagine plays SS. I think you mean Pedroia.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48 pm

Yes I do!, the P's got me.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby cristóbal » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:50 pm

if marte stays... what kind of impact is he capable of in beantown nezt year?
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:52 pm

Yeah. Pedroia's going to play SS, Loretta 2B. Kinda makes you wonder why if the Sox trust their strong-hitting SS prospect, the Braves won't trust their own....

Grr.... I can just see Marte winning RoY in 2007. :-[

But who knows. Maybe Renteria returns to 2003 form and stuns everyone. I doubt it, though.... I'm just hoping for something in line with his career numbers. (Which are, coincidentally, WORSE than the numbers Betemit produced last year!!! This guy better remember how to play defense. :-P )
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers