Rat brain learns to fly a jet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rat brain learns to fly a jet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rat brain learns to fly a jet

Postby WharfRat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:04 pm

This story is a year old, but it was in today's paper for some reason. There is some legitimate scientific value here, but you know on some level these guys are living out their mad scientist fantasy. :-D

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/11/1119_041119_brain_petri_dish.html

"Brain" in Dish Flies Simulated Fighter Jet

Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
November 19, 2004

Scientists have grown a living "brain" that sits inside a petri dish and can fly a simulated F-22 fighter aircraft.

The brainchild of Thomas DeMarse, a biomedical engineer at the University of Florida in Gainesville, the "brain in a dish" is a collection of 25,000 neurons taken from the brain of a rat that are connected to a computer via 60 electrodes.

The experiment is an opportunity to study how brain cells function as a network and to learn more about one of the most complex devices in the known universe: the human brain.

By watching the brain cells interact, scientists hope to understand what causes neural disorders, such as epilepsy. The research may also help the researchers in their quest to build "living" computers that combine neural and silicon systems.

"We're hoping to find out exactly how the neurons do what they do and extract those rules and apply them in software or hardware for novel types of computing," DeMarse said.

Neural Conversations

When the neurons from a rat are put in a dish (filled with a specialized liquid to keep the neurons alive), they resemble grains of sand sprinkled in water. But the cells rapidly begin to connect with each other, forming a living neural network.

"I have a movie of the first eight hours [of this process], and you can literally watch the neurons extend connections to other neurons as they form their network," DeMarse said.

The 25,000 cells sit atop a grid of 60 electrodes, which is just one and a half millimeters (six-hundredths of an inch) wide.

"These electrodes allow us to literally listen to the 'conversations' among the neurons to find out how they are computing," DeMarse said. "By sending in [electronic] pulses to each electrode, we can also stimulate the network in 60 different locations."

To put the experimental brain to the test, the scientist has connected it to a jet flight simulator via the electrode grid and a desktop computer.

At first the brain does not know what to do.

"If you take these cells out of the cortex and you put them into one of these dishes, you remove all of the inputs—sensory systems like vision or hearing—that they would normally have," DeMarse said. "The only thing that's going on is the spontaneous activity of reconnecting."

But as the neurons begin to receive information from the computer about flight conditions—similar to how neurons receive and interpret signals from each other to control our bodies—the brain gradually learns to fly the aircraft.

"The neurons will analyze data from the computer, like whether the plane is flying level or is tilted to one side," DeMarse said. "The neurons respond by sending signals to the plane's controls to alter the flight path. New information is sent back to the neurons, creating a feedback system."

Living Computers

Neural network research may be setting the stage for the creation of so-called hybrid computers based on biological systems.

Silicon-based computers are very accurate and fast at processing some kinds of information, but they have none of the flexibility of the human brain.

"Despite the power of current digital technology, the adaptability of the neuron and its hybrid digital, analog, and chemical information representation may allow novel computing devices to be created," said George Wittenberg, an assistant professor of neurology at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Brains can easily make certain kinds of computations that computers are unable to do, such as answering open-ended questions about what happened sometime in the past.

"To do a search like that in silicon is pretty difficult, unless you program [a computer] to specifically answer that question," DeMarse said. "Yet these neurons are able to do this in rats and in humans all the time."

Understanding how neurons distribute information and encode it would allow scientists to take those rules and develop a silicon system that operates similar to the neurons, yet has the retention capacity of a silicon computer.

Such living computers may someday be used to fly unmanned airplanes or handle tasks that are dangerous for humans, such as search-and-rescue missions or bomb-damage assessments.

Epileptic Seizures

Neural-network research may also help scientists better understand what causes neural disorders. DeMarse's studies, for example, are investigating the evolution of epilepsy.

"We have bundles of electrodes that we insert into the rat brain," he said. "We can do treatment in the animals that [causes] epileptic seizures. It allows us to look at the neural activity over time to see what exactly is changing in terms of that activity leading up to the seizures."

While scientists know a lot about the neurons themselves, DeMarse says little is known about how neurons encode information, for example.

"We're really working at the basic level," he said, "trying to figure out what sort of computation is going on and how it might be occurring."
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Do scientists do LCD?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:42 pm

When you said Rat Brain all I thought about was Pinky and the Brain, Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain....
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby luckygehrig » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:00 pm

Phatferd wrote:Do scientists do LCD?

I think you mean LSD? LCD is a type of screen.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:14 pm

luckygehrig wrote:

Yeah he definitely meant LSD :-b .
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:55 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
luckygehrig wrote:

Yeah he definitely meant LSD :-b .

hahhaa..

this sounds impossible to me..how the hell does it know how to fly the plane?!!!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:02 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:When you said Rat Brain all I thought about was Pinky and the Brain, Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain....

LMAO so did I :-b
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:22 pm

Ahh... Brain hurts.. too long ;-)

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:36 pm

Why a jet flight simulator? That seems like a really random thing to test your first brain on...
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:47 am

(filled with a specialized liquid to keep the neurons alive)

Can I get a case of that stuff? I know a lot of brain dead people.

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk