Movie: Cellular - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Movie: Cellular

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Movie: Cellular

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:59 am

So I saw Cellular last night, and I want my life back.

OK, so maybe it wasn't horrible. Well, it was. The acting was horrible, the script was horrible and the action scenes did not make up for it.

Again, it was like a made-for-TV movie. But at the same time, I enjoyed the last 20 minutes.

First of all, Jason Statham is awesome and I was looking forward to some kick-ass action a la The Transporter. Well, if you're looking for kick-ass action, skip Cellular.

Kim Basinger's performance was a great example of why her career has gone nowhere since L.A. Confidential.

William H. Macy played a sissy/tough cop. Yeah, he was a sissy, and he was tough. In one scene he's wearing one of those green spa masks, and in the next he's shooting people. William H. Macy, what has happened? We so loved you in Fargo.

And the kid who plays the main character is your typical, bumbling, idiot, teenager. It was like half serious action movie/half cheesy teen comedy.

But, I found myself rooting for the good guys in the end, so I suppose it had it's desired effect. It just wasn't enough to make up for the hour of garbage I had to witness before it's conclusion.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Movie: Cellular

Postby Phatferd » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:09 pm

Coppermine wrote:So I saw Cellular last night, and I want my life back.

OK, so maybe it wasn't horrible. Well, it was. The acting was horrible, the script was horrible and the action scenes did not make up for it.

Again, it was like a made-for-TV movie. But at the same time, I enjoyed the last 20 minutes.

First of all, Jason Statham is awesome and I was looking forward to some kick-ass action a la The Transporter. Well, if you're looking for kick-ass action, skip Cellular.

Kim Basinger's performance was a great example of why her career has gone nowhere since L.A. Confidential.

William H. Macy played a sissy/tough cop. Yeah, he was a sissy, and he was tough. In one scene he's wearing one of those green spa masks, and in the next he's shooting people. William H. Macy, what has happened? We so loved you in Fargo.

And the kid who plays the main character is your typical, bumbling, idiot, teenager. It was like half serious action movie/half cheesy teen comedy.

But, I found myself rooting for the good guys in the end, so I suppose it had it's desired effect. It just wasn't enough to make up for the hour of garbage I had to witness before it's conclusion.

I haven't seen Cellular, but William H. Macey was awesome in "The Cooler".
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:10 pm

I don't think i've heared of this garbage film
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:18 pm

I heard "The Cooler" was pretty awesome, but I haven't seen it.

Maybe we should reflect on William H. Macy's career as we did with Samuel L. Jackson (what's up with actor's and middle initials?)

OK, Fargo was awesome, we know that.

William H. Macy movies I've seen since Fargo that I liked:

Air Force One (guilty pleasure, "get off my plane," can Harrison Ford be our next president, please? Nevermind, ever see him in an interview. He's practically brain dead)

Magnolia (commonly overlooked little gem, even Tom Cruise is awesome in it)

Boogie Nights

Seabiscuit

William H. Macy movies I've seen since Fargo and didn't like:

Wag the Dog

Psycho remake

A Civil Action

Mystery Men

Jurassic Park III

Sahara
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:55 pm

Coppermine wrote:I heard "The Cooler" was pretty awesome, but I haven't seen it.

It very awesome. Low-key movie with great story and characters.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby HiddenIdentity » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:05 pm

It wasn't that bad
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Spiegs1106 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 pm

[quote="Coppermine"]
quote]

his name is chris evans. he went to my high school and was a senior when i was a frosh. he was also in perfect score and was also the firs guy in the fantastic 4
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:39 pm

I watched it a while back and thought the movie was great. ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:55 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:And the kid who plays the main character is your typical, bumbling, idiot, teenager. It was like half serious action movie/half cheesy teen comedy.
quote]

his name is chris evans. he went to my high school and was a senior when i was a frosh. he was also in perfect score and was also the firs guy in the fantastic 4

He's also the main character on one of the all time best movies "Not Another Teen Movie." I know most people hated that movie but I loved it, and he was actually pretty funny in it.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:41 pm

Well, it wasn't as bad as "After the Sunset." That's easily the worst movie I've seen in the last year. EASILY.

So please, I can understand enjoying Cellular, but no one tell me you enjoyed After the Sunset.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk