Soriano to the Nats.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano to the Nats..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:46 am

wilkerson will have a huge bounce-back year. 30 HR isn't out of the question, and with that lineup... well, golly. depending on where they hit him (he'd be a much better leadoff guy than dellucci, IMO), he could score 110+.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:29 am

huge boost for Wilkerson in 06, will be also interesting to see what Kinsler can do in that lineup and ball park as well. As far as Soriano he is falling to 3rd in my 2b rankings, and I would not be suprised if was not a top 5 2b this year in baseball
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Armadillo Fury » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:39 am

I like this trade for the Rangers. Sorians is/was an awesome guy to have on your fantasy team but in real life...

-If you play him at 2B, his offense is pretty good but he sucks defensively.
-If you play him in the OF, his offense is just 'above average' or 'good' at best because of his poor on-base skills. You don't know how he'll fare defensively.

Wilkerson is just as good (or better) than Soriano offensively in real life (and he's cheaper). Plus if either Sledge or the pitching prospect the Rangers got work out, this turns out to be a very nice trade for them.

Also I think this trade makes it very easy for the Rangers to move Mench for a decent SP.
Armadillo Fury
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:59 am

I wonder where Vidro ends up. I think this hurts his value. Still a late 1st round pick though.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:18 am

chadlincoln wrote:I wonder where Vidro ends up. I think this hurts his value. Still a late 1st round pick though.

I'm assuming you are referring to Soriano and not Vidro.

I don't think Soriano is a 1st rounder anymore. He's more like a 3rd rounder to me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chris8 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:38 am

Yoda wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:I wonder where Vidro ends up. I think this hurts his value. Still a late 1st round pick though.

I'm assuming you are referring to Soriano and not Vidro.

I don't think Soriano is a 1st rounder anymore. He's more like a 3rd rounder to me.

Completely agree. For me, as others have said, he's not even my top-ranked 2B any more.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby djacks » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:44 am

Makes my Utley look even better now... ;-D

(that sounds kinda bad, doesn't it... :-] )
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GameOn » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:44 am

I am waiting to see if this deal was good or bad. Right now the Rangers have a logjam at OF/DH, the have the following players:

Wilkerson
Sledge
Mench
Nix
Dellucci
Gary Matthews Jr
Jason Botts
Nevin

If they can spin 2 or 3 of those guys off for some pitching help and use the money freed up to sign a pitcher, then overall this was an excellent trade. However, if they just sit around and make that stupid Nix and Dominguez for Benson deal :-P then I'm gonna be pretty ticked off as a Rangers fan. If Daniels is allowed to play with this, I think they could end up very well off. But I foresee Hicks getttin his nose in it and mucking things up.

As for Kinsler...I would say right now he is the favorite to get the starting 2B job, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the rangers trade for orlando hudson or something. Kinsler had a down year last year, so I think they might want to give him a little more seasoning.

At least we got rid of some horrendous defense and got a good OF. Daniels just need to convert the remaining OFs into some SP.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby stumpak » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:38 pm

I see the rationale for dinging Soriano going into next year, but I can't see writing him off in favor of Utley. Sure Utley hada great year and can do the same thing again, but maybe not. We have seen a lot of instances of even guys who look like sure shots stumbling in year 2. There is a risk factor with Utley. As for Soriano, he is proven beyond a doubt. Even in RFK he will go 25/25 at the very least, even if his run production and BA take a bit of a dive. There are not many guys who are 25/25 locks in the middel infield.

Additionally, the people around him are not that bad. Not great, buit not abysmal either. He will have some combination of Guillen, Johnson and Vidro (this assumes Soriano in the OF) and there people that have produced surprisingly well in worse situations than this (see Jeff Kent, 2005).
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sooner711 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:40 pm

stumpak wrote:I see the rationale for dinging Soriano going into next year, but I can't see writing him off in favor of Utley. Sure Utley hada great year and can do the same thing again, but maybe not. We have seen a lot of instances of even guys who look like sure shots stumbling in year 2. There is a risk factor with Utley. As for Soriano, he is proven beyond a doubt. Even in RFK he will go 25/25 at the very least, even if his run production and BA take a bit of a dive. There are not many guys who are 25/25 locks in the middel infield.

Additionally, the people around him are not that bad. Not great, buit not abysmal either. He will have some combination of Guillen, Johnson and Vidro (this assumes Soriano in the OF) and there people that have produced surprisingly well in worse situations than this (see Jeff Kent, 2005).

The problem in a keeper league at least, is him moving to the outfield...he's good for this year but if he isn't 2B eligible in 2007 his value plummets.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers