Soriano to the Nats.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano to the Nats..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:21 pm

Utley probably will be just a tad more valuable than Sori this year. No way Cantu will, one good season by the guy should not put him over Soriano even if he is in Washington. And Cantu plays on the DRays, absolutely not protection in the batting order.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Holy Hand Grenade » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:33 pm

Red Stripe wrote:Utley probably will be just a tad more valuable than Sori this year. No way Cantu will, one good season by the guy should not put him over Soriano even if he is in Washington. And Cantu plays on the DRays, absolutely not protection in the batting order.

Aside from having the third highest team average in baseball, I agree with you.

They have protection. The team finished 11th in OPS last season. And their young players are a year older and wiser.
Holy Hand Grenade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Half Massed » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:47 am

I don't really get why either team would do this trade. Texas may get a good minor league pitcher, but that probably won't help them this year, and they already had enough OFs. I don't know much about this pitcher, maybe they do think he can help immediately, or they have another deal lined up that would clear some of those OFs.

Washington doesn't get much of an offensive upgrade in Soriano if they're moving him to the OF, and probably won't resign him, so they gave up one of their best minor league pitchers for a year or so of Sori.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:28 am

wrveres wrote:
Madison wrote::-?

Guess I need to do some digging now. :-?

I have no issues with the Rangers moving Soriano, but I did expect a bit more than what we got. :-?

Anyone know anything about Armando Galarraga?

Definitely got to do some digging now. :-?

Without digging, I'd say Kinsler will definitely be up in Spring Training and have a shot at the job. I'd also say there's a very good chance Mench and/or Adrian Gonzalez get moved for pitching.

Hmm...... :-?

Soriano smoriano .... blah ..

Lets talk about Wilkerson.
This is a huge boost for him.
30 plus homers ? no?

any chance of Mike Young going to 2B ... ??

If Wilkerson doesn't get dealt again, and that's a big IF, he will hit leadoff, so I doubt the 30 homers happens. Lots of runs scored though ;-D .

Personally, with Toronto showing so much interest in Wilkerson, and the Rangers already having talks with them about Batista and others, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Wilkerson dealt soon.

No, Young will not move to 2B. Kinsler and DeRosa will fight for the 2B job with one of them winning it in Spring Training. At least that's what the papers down here are reporting.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby converge241 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:52 am

when soriano made those quotes about staying at second did he also say

"im going to keep swinging at EVERYTHING!"
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:34 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Agreed...some of you are taking this way too far.

I don't think so. Probably the closest comparable player to Soriano is Mike Cameron, in some of his better years. Soriano's going to hit under .260, for sure. He'll be in the 25-35 range for HRs and SBs. He'll be in the 80-90 range for R and RBIs, maybe a little lower or higher depending on where he bats.

Last year, his dollar value was about $25-30, depending on your league setup. I've been playing with some dollar value calculators, knocking 10-30 points off his BA, 3-7 HRs, and 10-15 Runs and RBIs. His dollar value under those assumptions is more in the $15-20 range.

Based on 2005 stats, that puts Utley, Roberts, Kent and Cantu all with better than a 50/50 chance of having higher value. Giles is close.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers