Yankees are offering arbitration to Bernie Williams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees are offering arbitration to Bernie Williams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:09 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Guess again...

Apparently Gordon is not good enough to spend money on but 2M for Bernie is esp. when Crosby is the other option. Bernie will be the starting CF by June and we will have a repeat of the 2005 season only without the playoffs. It is pretty obvious they are making it up as they go along and do not have an option on the agenda for CF outside of these 2.

Rotoworld:
The Yankees will likely re-sign Bernie Williams to a one-year deal worth about $2 million plus incentives.
Williams could essentially replace Ruben Sierra, who wasn't offered arbitration last night, but manager Joe Torre may be tempted to resume playing him in center field if the team can't upgrade from Bubba Crosby. While Williams still might be an asset in a limited role, he could quickly reemerge as a liability if misused


Is that saying that the yankees won't make the playoffs?? Hahahaha.

If they don't make the playoffs I will wear a paper bag av for a year!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:21 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Guess again...

Apparently Gordon is not good enough to spend money on but 2M for Bernie is esp. when Crosby is the other option. Bernie will be the starting CF by June and we will have a repeat of the 2005 season only without the playoffs. It is pretty obvious they are making it up as they go along and do not have an option on the agenda for CF outside of these 2.


:-° can you say frustrated front runner?

williams has been a class act since day one. he' been a yankee his whole life. he never caused trouble for the team and almost always came up huge in the big spot. do you really want to see him come back in another uniform? torre shifted him in and out of center for a few years now and you never ONCE heard a word out of him. he just went out there and did his job. i seriously dont know how a yankee fan can just write him off and say thanks for the good times bernie dont let the door hit you on the way out. come on man. he should end his career as a yankee, and if that means two milion dollars from the payroll, so be it.



Do you want him as your starting CF? Because that is where this is headed. It does not take a rocket scientist to connect the dots here. No Damon...No Pierre...no one worth squat available via trade for CF to anyone's knowledge (and this stuff leaks out to the press all the time). You can argue the wisdom of not going after any of these guys, but bringing back Bernie?
Crosby is going to blow, Torre will fall back on old habits and there you go. This team is being built to lose in 2006. Will you feel the same when the go 90-72 and don't make the playoffs?


Yes I will.

And that is because there is no other wise moves to make. Signing Damon is an awful option. Trading for Pierre or just about anyone else on the market is a terrible idea. Crosby will have to do. There is no other option that makes sense for 2006. Bernie will be brought back as a DH/PH. If he plays some CF, I don't see the big deal.

Do you honestly think the Yankees can do anything to win in 2006? They aren't going to go anywhere whether Bernie is on the team for $2 million or whether he's off of it. It's not as if they are giving money to Bernie when there are clearly better options out there. There are no good options. Bernie is not being brought in to be the everyday CF. That's why he got freaking $2 million dollars.

I know it hurts, but THE YANKEES AREN'T GOING TO BE GREAT IN 2006. They can't, without seriously jeapordizing their future by signing guys like Damon to ridiculous deals. The Yankees are no better, probably worse than they were in 2005. However, there was no way to make them better, so they sat back and let the expensive guys sign elsewhere.

Unless you're in favor of signing Damon to a 4-5 year contract simply to contend in 2006, ignoring future seasons where he'll be a burden on us, then shut up.

You just like to complain. If the Yankees plan was to get Damon, you would b*tch. If the Yankees plan was to trade for Pierre or Hunter, you would b*tch. If the Yankees opt not to make an expensive move and keep Crosby in CF for a year, you b*tch.

You don't make any statements on what moves you would support, because you just want to hold the right to b*tch no matter what happens. You're like the people who don't vote in the presidential election for the sole reason of being able to complain no matter who wins. Just stop.



Like the Bond's apologists, steroids apologists, the NY Haters, etc., around here, you have do what you do best...And as long as Clueless Brian is being paid 3 M a year to sit on his hands and do nothing to fix the mess he himself created I will be a bitching. That man deserves unemployment not a raise.

There is no logic in any of this or of the apologetic tone being offered for it by some fans. If they can't win, then why spend ANYTHING on Bernie. You admit defeat, cut payroll and trade for prospects. Bernie at 2M? Why bother if we can't win...why sign him if we can? Put Crosby in CF, Phillip as the DH and save 2M. It is OK to spend money on a guy for sentiments sake, but not to spend money on players to help you win now. The logic is inconsistent and therefore flawed.

Either they are playing to win or they are not. If the former, then it makes no sense to be going into 2006 the way they are. If the latter, then it makes no sense to be spending any money on old, short term players because he is a nice guy. Sign him as a coach or broadcaster or let him move on. They are building a team to finish in 3rd place in the East, which imo is a con job hoping to dupe fans to pay on false hope and put 4 M fans in the park again. If you think that is right more power to you.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quietstorm » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:25 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:Any chance of Bernie playing CF for the Yankees this year :-D


Please? :-)


Don't hold your breath.


Assuming he is (wink wink) going to decline aritration, Bernie will be the regular CF by June after Crosby or Jacque Jones goes April-May batting .225 with 5 Hrs and 14 rbis and the Yanks are 10 games out because 3 starters are on the DL again. Torre will revert to what he knows best...unfortunately it is what he knows best from the late 90's.
Sadly, QFE. I'm even a Yankees-hater and I don't like seeing how they go about things. Bernie needs to just retire at this point. The Yanks are paying him for almost nothing. He can't field and he's a mediocre hitter. :(
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 758
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:32 pm

quietstorm wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:Any chance of Bernie playing CF for the Yankees this year :-D


Please? :-)


Don't hold your breath.


Assuming he is (wink wink) going to decline aritration, Bernie will be the regular CF by June after Crosby or Jacque Jones goes April-May batting .225 with 5 Hrs and 14 rbis and the Yanks are 10 games out because 3 starters are on the DL again. Torre will revert to what he knows best...unfortunately it is what he knows best from the late 90's.
Sadly, QFE. I'm even a Yankees-hater and I don't like seeing how they go about things. Bernie needs to just retire at this point. The Yanks are paying him for almost nothing. He can't field and he's a mediocre hitter. :(


That's why he's a bench/part-time DH player. Alot of the money is for sentiment for all he's done for us over the years. I'm more than willing to give him $2 to stick around for one more year and retire in pinstripes. If any Yankee fan doesn't see Bernie as worth that then they aren't a real Yankee fan.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:41 pm

Nonesense. Every good thing comes to an end an they kept him around for 2 years past his prime. Dimaggio, Mantle, O'neill...all had to hang it up eventually and just because he can stick around for another couple of years playing as a part time player does not mean we should do that. This is not the 98 Yankees...it is the 06 Yankees.

Bernie is not even remotely on par with O'neill the year he hanged it up. If Bernie does not have the good sense to retire and needs the 1.5 M extra he woul dmake as a 4th OF over being a coach, after making 13M a season each of the past 7 years, then well.
He wants to be like Steve Carlton that is his right but it is his choice also imo. Loyalty is fine, but Bernie is past the point of loyalty and entered the realm of the badly washed up. Paying more money for him while at the same time arguing that the should not spend cash to win this year or for short term fixees like Pierre is inconsitent and illogical too I might add.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Like the Bond's apologists, steroids apologists, the NY Haters, etc., around here, you have do what you do best...And as long as Clueless Brian is being paid 3 M a year to sit on his hands and do nothing to fix the mess he himself created I will be a bitching. That man deserves unemployment not a raise.


Keep crying about it. Maybe if you do it loud enough, George will hear you and fire Cashman. Then again, I doubt he gives a damn what you think about it, so there's no use complaining about it. It's old and tired. We know how you feel about Cashman. You don't need to remind us in every single post. Give it a rest.

There is no logic in any of this or of the apologetic tone being offered for it by some fans. If they can't win, then why spend ANYTHING on Bernie. You admit defeat, cut payroll and trade for prospects. Bernie at 2M? Why bother if we can't win...why sign him if we can? Put Crosby in CF, Phillip as the DH and save 2M. It is OK to spend money on a guy for sentiments sake, but not to spend money on players to help you win now. The logic is inconsistent and therefore flawed.


You spend on Bernie because he wants to retire in pinstripes, and after all he's done for the Yankees, they owe him that. Moaning over $2 million dollars for a player who has led this team to 4 World Series titles? Wow.

Either they are playing to win or they are not. If the former, then it makes no sense to be going into 2006 the way they are. If the latter, then it makes no sense to be spending any money on old, short term players because he is a nice guy. Sign him as a coach or broadcaster or let him move on. They are building a team to finish in 3rd place in the East, which imo is a con job hoping to dupe fans to pay on false hope and put 4 M fans in the park again. If you think that is right more power to you.


The Yankees are never not going to play to win, or at least admit it openly. George would never allow it. He wants to win now, and in his delusional world, he expects to, even with the crappiest of teams. Cashman understands what's going on. He is not constructing this team to win in 2006. Otherwise Damon, Soriano, Gordon and Burnett would be in pinstripes right now, and Wang and Cano would be nowhere to be found.

Cashman does know, however, that the Yankees still have a chance. The team is not close to being a greatly constructed team, but you forget, they did win the East last year, and that was with an amazingly crappy start. If somehow RJ got his head out of his @$$, they have a good shot at making the playoffs again. And when you get in, anything can happen.

And again, if you don't think Bernie's services over the last 15 years warrant a $2 million dollar ticket to have a spot on the team and retire a Yankee, then I question how loyal of a fan you really are...

You act as if we paid him $10 for 2 years. :-° :-t
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Bernie should think about hanging it up but if he won't, I can't even imagine him in a different uniform.
Image
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2525
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mezzanine Section 12 @ Shea

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact