Loretta to BOS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Loretta to BOS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Armadillo Fury » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:09 pm

eftda wrote:
Armadillo Fury wrote:The Padres still only freed 1.5 mil from this trade... I really think they could've gotten more for Loretta. There's not many 2B that're as good (or cheap, even if its for one year) as Loretta. He's not bad defensively and has a career .365 obp which is very good for a 2B. I think he'll do very well hitting 2nd in the Sox linup providing he's healthy. ;-D

Welcome to the Café ;-D

Thank you. Looks like a pretty cool board. ;-D
Armadillo Fury
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:55 pm

loretta will be 35 yo this summer and is coming off serious wrist surgery...while the sox didnt give up much for him, this looks like mike lansing all over again to me ..i see loretta as 120 gms 8-55-4 .290...reminder in 3 yrs (from 00-02 he only had 13 HRs in over 1000 ABs
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:52 pm

I guess I haven't really chimed in about what I think about this trade. A lot of people seem to feel the Red Sox got the better end of the deal, which they did but not by so much. Loretta is 34 years old and was injured for a good part of last year. Mirabelli is a VERY underrated catcher, top 5 defensively probably IMO, who is just not getting a starting job because he plays behind Varitek, he would have the starting job on a lot of MLB teams like he will probably will with the Pads. And Wakefield's ERA was also about 1 run higher without Mirabelli catching although I'm not sure if theres a big enough sample size to take that stat seriously.

Sox did come out with the better deal on this IMO but Pads didn't get totally screwed, not a horrible deal at all for them.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:01 am

The Sox got an everyday player for a backup. Gotta give that a tumbs up. ;-D
Now move Renteria to Atlanta for Marte, and let Pedroia play SS :-D As long as his defense can hold, I'll take his growing pains at the plate as our #8 hitter.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby RynMan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:07 am

Armadillo Fury wrote:
eftda wrote:
Armadillo Fury wrote:The Padres still only freed 1.5 mil from this trade... I really think they could've gotten more for Loretta. There's not many 2B that're as good (or cheap, even if its for one year) as Loretta. He's not bad defensively and has a career .365 obp which is very good for a 2B. I think he'll do very well hitting 2nd in the Sox linup providing he's healthy. ;-D

Welcome to the Café ;-D

Thank you. Looks like a pretty cool board. ;-D

Welcome! Moreso being an A's fan! :-D

But yeah, I agree with you totally. I've gotta think that the Padres could have landed a better player than Mirabelli that will cost 1.5mil or less. Great deal for the Red Sox and their invisible GM. I wonder if the press release will have Loretta and 38 other execs all holding up his jersey.... :-?

Mirabelli surely isn't the Padres full time option......is he? :-o
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:37 am

Mirabelli will probably be the starter behind the plate and the 2B base job will be a mix of Blum, Bobby Hill and Jesse Barfield. Barring anymore dealing to acquire a 2B, it will be Barfields job to lose in spring training.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby rlee » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:03 am

For those of you saying that the Padres could have gotten more for Loretta, that is probably true. But remember, Mirabelli fills a huge need for them behind the plate. So when trades are made, this has to be a big factor in evaluating who got the better of the trade. Considering the needs of the two teams, I think it was pretty even.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:20 am

I'm not really happy with the Sox getting Loretta, he's a very good player and will be a nice fit at the top of their lineup.

Mirabelli was a great backup catcher and the situation with Wake is now interesting. If Shoppach takes the job, that means he's no longer on the trading block, so that's a plus for me.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby nsulham » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:19 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:If Shoppach takes the job, that means he's no longer on the trading block, so that's a plus for me.

They could always sign a cheap back-up solely to catch Wake and give Tek days off. I'd prefer they go that route and use Shoppach in a deal to help another spot.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:42 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm not really happy with the Sox getting Loretta, he's a very good player and will be a nice fit at the top of their lineup.

Mirabelli was a great backup catcher and the situation with Wake is now interesting. If Shoppach takes the job, that means he's no longer on the trading block, so that's a plus for me.

Concerning Wake - I read (I forget where) that Shoppach has worked with a minor league instructor on how to catch the knuckleball the last 2 seasons I believe. So he has had some prior experiencce to the knuckler.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers