I guess this kills the trot Nixon for Redman deal. ;-D
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:09 am

Well, this one looks more like our other dumb trading deadline deals...trade a guy that had value at one time for peanuts. :-B I really have no idea how Littlefield keeps his job.

So let's recap the Kendall trade...for a $10 mil/year player, we ended up getting some crappy middle reliever from the Royals and Jody Gerut. Sounds like a great deal for us. ;-7

Redman should have been moved at the trade deadline last year to any team who needed pitching. He still had a decent record at that time, but I suppose McClendon/Littlefield were reluctant to give up what was our best starter at that point. He then went on to completely suck the rest of the year. I can't see him being much better with the Royals since they are essentially the AL version of the Pirates. :-/

The sad thing is we really had to move him now since he's not worth the 4.5 million he would have been paid. It's just frustrating that we never get value out of any of our players (except when Ricardo Rincon or Brian Giles are concerned).
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:58 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:So let's recap the Kendall trade...for a $10 mil/year player, we ended up getting some crappy middle reliever from the Royals and Jody Gerut. Sounds like a great deal for us. ;-7

If it makes you feel any better, Kendall hasn't been a $10 mil/year player for a very long time.

I wouldn't consider the Kendall trade and now the Redman trade bad trades. The Kendall signing was just awful and the Pirates are still trying to recover from it. They at least realised the mistake of committing 20% of a small market team payroll to a single player and shipped Kendall out mid-contract. The Royals have continued to allow Sweeney's contract to overwhelm the payroll structure and have declined offers to move him out.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers