Cam? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Cam?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cam?

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 am

Ive heard some great things about this kid, even comparisons to a young Griffey. Has anyone seen the guy play? Or have any info on him at all? I just used a 4th round dynasty pick on Maybin without much knowledge of him or his abilities..
Last edited by Cleveland Steamers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby coleminer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:42 pm

from rotohelp.com:
DET, OF " ... Cameron Maybin ... tenth overall pick of the draft finally signed ... and will begin his professional career in the spring. Treat Maybin purely as a long-term gamble, however he rates as a pure centerfielder, so even if his bat takes a long time to develop, he eventually will emerge as a quality everyday player. Expecting any less than a majority of four seasons in the minors is a mistake, so also realize that his fantasy value consists of little more than his role as trade bait until somewhere around 2009."

... seems early in the draft; but depends on your timeline.
coleminer
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Cameron Maybin?

Postby El Gaupo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:29 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Ive heard some great things about this kid, even comparisons to a young Griffey. Has anyone seen the guy play? Or have any info on him at all? I just used a 4th round dynasty pick on Maybin without much knowledge of him or his abilities..

Baseball America has a few write ups on him. He and Upton were hands down the 2 best HS prospects. At this point he could also be another Alxis Rios, my opion based on build 6-5 180lbs OF . BA said he could between P Wilson to Vlad.

4th round pick for the 3rd player taken in the 2006 draft is a steal.

Do you have openings in your league??
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby El Gaupo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:29 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Ive heard some great things about this kid, even comparisons to a young Griffey. Has anyone seen the guy play? Or have any info on him at all? I just used a 4th round dynasty pick on Maybin without much knowledge of him or his abilities..

Baseball America has a few write ups on him. He and Upton were hands down the 2 best HS prospects. At this point he could also be another Alxis Rios, my opion based on build 6-5 180lbs OF . BA said he could between P Wilson to Vlad.

El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:32 am

El Gaupo wrote:

Huh? :-?

He really isn't similiar to Rios just cause they are about the same height and weight right now. Alexis is basically 6'5" 190" at the age of 24, and he was quite skinny when he was drafted. Not to mention he has always had the question mark of power, scouts just projected him to have more as he got bigger. Maybin when he was drafted was by most sources 6'4" 200 at the young age of 18, he has nothing to worry about as far as power like Rios. Actually, Maybin was one of top power hitters in the draft, it's not an issue with him.

Also, he wasn't taken 3rd in his draft (taken 10th) and there hasn't been a 2006 draft yet ... he was in the 2005 draft.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby El Gaupo » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:51 pm

hybrid wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:

Huh? :-?

He really isn't similiar to Rios just cause they are about the same height and weight right now. Alexis is basically 6'5" 190" at the age of 24, and he was quite skinny when he was drafted. Not to mention he has always had the question mark of power, scouts just projected him to have more as he got bigger. Maybin when he was drafted was by most sources 6'4" 200 at the young age of 18, he has nothing to worry about as far as power like Rios. Actually, Maybin was one of top power hitters in the draft, it's not an issue with him.

Also, he wasn't taken 3rd in his draft (taken 10th) and there hasn't been a 2006 draft yet ... he was in the 2005 draft.

Pardon.. It was late went I posted. You're correct he was taken 10th in 2005. His size is still somewhat debatable. In one article they have him at 6'4' 205 and later at 6'3" 185. They also make mention that in time he will develop power, fwiw. RE: Rios I saw him in Baltimore in 05 he's 6'5' for sure but he's at least 220 if not more. But I think we can both agree that Maybin has the potential to be really good.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:54 pm

Ok, well size can obviously be debatable as sometimes they aren't updated when they should, etc. But if you see Rios and compare him to Maybin at the same age, there really isn't a comparison. Maybin is much more mature physically at the same age, also he for one hits for power. By BA and quite a few other sources he was only behind H. Sanchez (a mammoth 1B prospect) for H.S. hitters in terms of power. Rios I can assure you wasn't even close to the top of his list when it came to power coming out of H.S. Which is the difference between the two, Maybin is already a good power hitter for his age, while Rios was a project and "projected" to hit for more later on (like a lot of prospects are).

Don't get me wrong though I like Rios and still think he could hit possibly but 20 hr's or so, but his swing and style at the plate make it so he won't hit for a lot of power. Maybin is the superior prospect that at the same age, but that doesn't mean he will turn out better.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Surfs up » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:26 pm

Hybrid I know you know your stuff an I value your opinion. Where do you rank Maybin? I have the 1st, 6th,10th and 14th picks in our minor league draft. AL only. Its a long way away but I am thinking about Marte as # 1 since most of th big name players are gone. Young, Butler guys like them. Who are some of the lesser names now that you like that should be a big splash a couple of years from now? Markakis? Lester? Bankston? Whelan and what about the kid from the White Sox. Chris Young A big base stealer. Any body else I should consider?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Postby El Gaupo » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:44 am

hybrid wrote:Ok, well size can obviously be debatable as sometimes they aren't updated when they should, etc. But if you see Rios and compare him to Maybin at the same age, there really isn't a comparison. Maybin is much more mature physically at the same age, also he for one hits for power. By BA and quite a few other sources he was only behind H. Sanchez (a mammoth 1B prospect) for H.S. hitters in terms of power. Rios I can assure you wasn't even close to the top of his list when it came to power coming out of H.S. Which is the difference between the two, Maybin is already a good power hitter for his age, while Rios was a project and "projected" to hit for more later on (like a lot of prospects are).

Don't get me wrong though I like Rios and still think he could hit possibly but 20 hr's or so, but his swing and style at the plate make it so he won't hit for a lot of power. Maybin is the superior prospect that at the same age, but that doesn't mean he will turn out better.

Rio's wasn't really on anyone's radar until AA went he had his minor league break out season. He was around 22 yr at that time. Maybin is an 18 yr old so the age difference speaks for itself. I really hope Rios takes his game to the next level. If he continues to develop power to right center and conitunes to bulk up I think he will become a 25-30 HR for many years.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:48 pm

Rios was a 1st round pick by the Blue Jays, so he was indeed on people's radar, not sure why you don't think he was. People knew he was a project but that he had very good upside, that he finally started to show in AA and is now. The big factor though is how far he goes with it, cause he is defiantly talented enough to get better.

Not sure why you bring up their age, when I was comparing them I meant at the time both were drafted.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball