Mets/Zito Heating Up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets/Zito Heating Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby phillibuster » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:29 am

Good question...don't know...but they definitely overpaid for him. They were paying him like they thought he would be better than those stats.

Yoda wrote:
phillibuster wrote: The Zito signing is important, becasue I don't think Benson is the pitcher that the Mets thought they were getting.

What exactly did they think they were getting I wonder? His 2005 stats look pretty much in line with what he has done for his career. :-?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... yerId=4006
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:34 am

Benson's contract was curious last season but this season it looks like a bargain. That has to be part of the reason KC is interested in him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rob0417 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:43 am

the Mets have to get this done, the starting staff was solid last year, but right now there are too many question marks. Who knows what you going to get from Glavine, Seo or Trachsel. Zito would solidify the staff, giving them two legitimate number 1 starters. I just don't know what the Mets are going to be able to give up to get him. Oakland has a lot of young pitching, so I don't know how interested they would be in heilman. My guess would be Milledge and diaz. I don't like giving up both those guys, but for Zito I think you have to do it. Good young lefties are very hard to come by.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:49 am

rob0417 wrote:the Mets have to get this done, the starting staff was solid last year, but right now there are too many question marks. Who knows what you going to get from Glavine, Seo or Trachsel. Zito would solidify the staff, giving them two legitimate number 1 starters. I just don't know what the Mets are going to be able to give up to get him. Oakland has a lot of young pitching, so I don't know how interested they would be in heilman. My guess would be Milledge and diaz. I don't like giving up both those guys, but for Zito I think you have to do it. Good young lefties are very hard to come by.

Zito is a Californian. I just don't know if he will cut it in NY.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:52 am

Isn't he from Las Vegas? Anyway, seems like a guy who enjoys the attention. He's a weirdo. He'll fit into NY just fine. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 am

Yoda wrote:
rob0417 wrote:the Mets have to get this done, the starting staff was solid last year, but right now there are too many question marks. Who knows what you going to get from Glavine, Seo or Trachsel. Zito would solidify the staff, giving them two legitimate number 1 starters. I just don't know what the Mets are going to be able to give up to get him. Oakland has a lot of young pitching, so I don't know how interested they would be in heilman. My guess would be Milledge and diaz. I don't like giving up both those guys, but for Zito I think you have to do it. Good young lefties are very hard to come by.

Zito is a Californian. I just don't know if he will cut it in NY.

I agree with you. ;-D

I would also go so far as to say that if congress really wanted to fix baseball, they could pass a constitional amendment banning California born players from all New York rosters. ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:57 am

wrveres wrote:I would also go so far as to say that if congress really wanted to fix baseball, they could pass a constitional amendment banning California born players from all New York rosters. ;-)
Joe DiMaggio just rolled over in his grave. ;-)
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:01 pm

Steve Phillips on ESPNRadio is saying that Beane is pulling Zito back for now to see how the market shakes out.
killiansjmd
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:17 pm

If Billy Beane trades Zito he will want his potential replacement (Hielmann) and someone else (Milledge). Look at who who got for Mulder and Hudson.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:20 pm

killiansjmd wrote:Steve Phillips on ESPNRadio is saying that Beane is pulling Zito back for now to see how the market shakes out.

This is a great move by Billy. Seems like the price tag of FA starting pitchers is much higher than expected. Once Millwood, Weaver, etc find a home, Zito should be thrown out there for the highest bidder.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers