Pierre headed to the Cubs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pierre headed to the Cubs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:27 pm

stevethumb wrote:geez you would have thought the cubs would have had to give up rich hill .. seems like the marlins are rolling over on these deals when they could hold out for a lil better prospect..mitre is worse than most pitchers currently on the marlins and rpinto's stock has fallen..i didnt expect the marlins to get felix pie but hill and nolasco would have been better

If the Marlins didn't get that great of prospects for Pierre, my guess is maybe there wasn't that much interest in him?? Three decent prospects isn't that bad though, especially if they can help the Marlins in the bullpen at some point...
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tal1286 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:31 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Cubs get the leadoff hitter they need and don't have to give up too much to get him.

Is this the expected lineup?
Pierre
Walker
D. Lee
A-Ram
Murton
Patterson
Barrett
Neifi/Cedeno
Pitcher

at this point i guess that would be the expected lineup with a couple notes. I would have perez platoon with Cedeno at the beginning of the year but i think cedeno takes it permanently by June he hit .300 last year. It was only in 80 at bats but I think that is enough to show skill without it being a fluke for a week. that's a solid month of baseball. I bet Perez also platoons with Walker if we don't trade him for a better 2B like Soriano maybe although I've heard there is a deal on the table for him to go to the dodgers on mlbtraderumors.com.

Plus now that we have pierre in center I don't think there is any need for patterson. He's a mediocre CF who is behind a good CF with a great prospect in Pie coming up. I bet we trade him. I don't want him in Right and I would prefer to trade him for just about anyone, mench would be better. Higher average, more power. Huff could even be could. We could package Walker and patterson and maybe a mid-level prospect or 2 to the d-rays for lugo and huff. I also heard an idea floating around, i don't know how legit it actually was but..., that we would trade patterson walker and others to them for those 2 plus gathright which would be a good deal but now that we have pierre is unnecessary.

oh and mlbtraderumors is the best and worst thing to happen to me ever. great site for trade rumors. Bad site for college homework, especially during finals.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:45 pm

tal1286 wrote: We could package Walker and patterson and maybe a mid-level prospect or 2 to the d-rays for lugo and huff. I also heard an idea floating around, i don't know how legit it actually was but..., that we would trade patterson walker and others to them for those 2 plus gathright which would be a good deal but now that we have pierre is unnecessary.

I don't see any need in us getting patterson period. He would have no use on our team at all. Heck Lugo is worth Patterson and Walker by himself considering how good his 05 was and his 06 salary.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tal1286 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:47 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
tal1286 wrote: We could package Walker and patterson and maybe a mid-level prospect or 2 to the d-rays for lugo and huff. I also heard an idea floating around, i don't know how legit it actually was but..., that we would trade patterson walker and others to them for those 2 plus gathright which would be a good deal but now that we have pierre is unnecessary.

I don't see any need in us getting patterson period. He would have no use on our team at all. Heck Lugo is worth Patterson and Walker by himself considering how good his 05 was and his 06 salary.

you're probably right. not everything on the site i saw that on is 100% correct. it would be a good deal for us though

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:00 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:I'll take this deal for the Cubs....Mitre really isn't anything special and while both Pinto and Nolasco have some potential we have other pitching prospects that should fill in fine. Finally got a leadoff man we needed, now just hopefully he returns to 04 form.
I like this deal a lot. Even though Pierre had a not-so-great OBP last year, he's still got speed on the path's. Hopefully, and this is just dreaming, he'll spark the Cubs like Pods sparked the Sox.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:19 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:I'll take this deal for the Cubs....Mitre really isn't anything special and while both Pinto and Nolasco have some potential we have other pitching prospects that should fill in fine. Finally got a leadoff man we needed, now just hopefully he returns to 04 form.

Agreed. Great deal for the Cubs.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby silverZ » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Great deal for the cubs. I havent heard anything about Patterson...is he still around?

Also i think this makes d.Lee a legit first round pick this year. The poor lineup infront of him was the only downside of his last year. I can't remember the number of times he would hit a 2 out double with nobody on base. Now they just have to move Wood into the closer role and all you cub fans have to pray Proir can go a season without wrecking his arm one way or another.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:11 pm

I think that this only adds vailidty to the Cubs-Rangers trade rumor that involve Patterson for Mench.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:15 pm

Very "meh" deal. Pierre is a just a quick guy with a weak arm and a low OBP. He'll be servicable as a leadoff hitter, but Patterson would probably have been better in the field.

I guess I'm just not a big fan of Pierre. >_< More than anything, I'm glad this puts to rest any thoughts of the Braves trying to acquire him to play LF (don't ask me why that would make any sense, but I heard it repeated A LOT).
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eamuscatuli » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:09 pm

silverZ wrote:Great deal for the cubs. I havent heard anything about Patterson...is he still around?

Also i think this makes d.Lee a legit first round pick this year. The poor lineup infront of him was the only downside of his last year. I can't remember the number of times he would hit a 2 out double with nobody on base. Now they just have to move Wood into the closer role and all you cub fans have to pray Proir can go a season without wrecking his arm one way or another.

Patterson is still around but probably not for long. And as much as I would love to see Woody closing the Cubs are sticking with Dempster.
eamuscatuli
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers