New Species Found in Borneo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New Species Found in Borneo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Species Found in Borneo

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:38 am

CNN.com wrote:Researchers to trap mysterious cat-fox animal

Tuesday, December 6, 2005; Posted: 3:41 p.m. EST (20:41 GMT)

GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) -- Environmental researchers are preparing to capture what they call a new, mysterious species of carnivore on Borneo, the first such discovery on the wildlife-rich Indonesian island in over a century.

Pictures of the animal were first taken by WWF researchers in 2003.

Swiss-based environmental group WWF said on Monday its researchers photographed the strange animal, which looks like a cross between a cat and a fox, in the dense, central mountainous rainforests of Borneo.

"This could be the first time in more than a century that a new carnivore has been discovered on the island," said the WWF in a statement.

The mammal, slightly larger than a cat with red fur and a long tail, was photographed twice by a camera trap at night.

Locals and wildlife experts who viewed photographs of the animal, which has very small ears and large hind legs, said they had never seen such a creature before and were convinced that it was a new species, WWF said.

Researchers hope to confirm the discovery by setting cage traps to catch a live specimen, but warn that Indonesian government plans to clear the rainforest to create the world's largest palm oil plantation may interfere with plans, WWF said.

The proposed plantation scheme, funded by the China Development Bank, is expected to cover an area of 1.8 million hectares, equivalent to about half the size of The Netherlands, said the WWF, formerly known as the World Wide Fund for Nature.

The potential new species of carnivore in Borneo would be the first since the discovery of the Borneo ferret-badger in 1895, the WWF said.

Pictures of the animal were first taken by WWF researchers in 2003, the photos kept unpublished by the WWF as research continued. The WWF decided to make public the photos with the release of a book about Borneo, to be published on Tuesday.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:33 am

That thing is freaky looking. And if it eats meat, that just adds to the freak factor. Pretty cool though that they're still finding new species. The release of the photos seems like it might be more related to the fighting against that oil plant than for the book though. Politics at it's finest.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:37 am

luckygehrig wrote:That thing is freaky looking. And if it eats meat, that just adds to the freak factor. Pretty cool though that they're still finding new species. The release of the photos seems like it might be more related to the fighting against that oil plant than for the book though. Politics at it's finest.

exactly ...

they took the picture almost three years ago, and now hey are thinking about trapping it? what have they been doing for the last three years?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:47 am

I bet he was the same WWF researcher that discovered
the infamous "Thatsnotmybelly" Carnivore.
Only to find out after repeated trips to the doctor for severe cat scratches,
it was just spray paint. :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby prodpaul » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:01 am

wrveres wrote:I bet he was the same WWF researcher that discovered
the infamous "Thatsnotmybelly" Carnivore.
Only to find out after repeated trips to the doctor for severe cat scratches,
it was just spray paint. :-D

:-D :-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Minor League Skilz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:14 am

Now that is funny. All cats should be painted. }:-)
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:08 pm

:-o That's kinda freaky lookin'
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:43 pm

Another new animal? Nice. ;-D

Spray painted cats are funny. :-b

Is it just me, or did everyone keep thinking of wrestling while reading that article? (WWF=World Wrestling Federation and I don't care what the World Wildlife Fund has to say :-t , the WWF is wrestling. World Wildlife Fund just wanted hits on it's website, the frickin' idiots :-t ).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Madison wrote:Another new animal? Nice. ;-D

Is it just me, or did everyone keep thinking of wrestling while reading that article? (WWF=World Wrestling Federation and I don't care what the World Wildlife Fund has to say :-t , the WWF is wrestling. World Wildlife Fund just wanted hits on it's website, the frickin' idiots :-t ).

I have a feeling the World Wildlife Fund was created before the World Wrestling Federation.

The WWF(wrestling) was created in the 80's right?
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:07 pm

Red Stripe wrote:
Madison wrote:Another new animal? Nice. ;-D

I have a feeling the World Wildlife Fund was created before the World Wrestling Federation.

The WWF(wrestling) was created in the 80's right?

The World Wildlife Fund was indeed created long before the WWE. That's how they were able to win the court battle. Truth be told, though, the Fund waited until after wrestling had built up the power of the acronym before striking. I think the court should have sided with wrestling out of some sort of advert-oriented squaters logic like with land. You know what I'm talking about, right? If you live on, or do all of the work for, a tract of land for 10 years uncontested, in some jurisdictions, you are awarded ownership of that land.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk