New Species Found in Borneo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New Species Found in Borneo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Species Found in Borneo

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:38 am

CNN.com wrote:Researchers to trap mysterious cat-fox animal

Tuesday, December 6, 2005; Posted: 3:41 p.m. EST (20:41 GMT)

GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) -- Environmental researchers are preparing to capture what they call a new, mysterious species of carnivore on Borneo, the first such discovery on the wildlife-rich Indonesian island in over a century.

Image
Pictures of the animal were first taken by WWF researchers in 2003.

Swiss-based environmental group WWF said on Monday its researchers photographed the strange animal, which looks like a cross between a cat and a fox, in the dense, central mountainous rainforests of Borneo.

"This could be the first time in more than a century that a new carnivore has been discovered on the island," said the WWF in a statement.

The mammal, slightly larger than a cat with red fur and a long tail, was photographed twice by a camera trap at night.

Locals and wildlife experts who viewed photographs of the animal, which has very small ears and large hind legs, said they had never seen such a creature before and were convinced that it was a new species, WWF said.

Researchers hope to confirm the discovery by setting cage traps to catch a live specimen, but warn that Indonesian government plans to clear the rainforest to create the world's largest palm oil plantation may interfere with plans, WWF said.

The proposed plantation scheme, funded by the China Development Bank, is expected to cover an area of 1.8 million hectares, equivalent to about half the size of The Netherlands, said the WWF, formerly known as the World Wide Fund for Nature.

The potential new species of carnivore in Borneo would be the first since the discovery of the Borneo ferret-badger in 1895, the WWF said.

Pictures of the animal were first taken by WWF researchers in 2003, the photos kept unpublished by the WWF as research continued. The WWF decided to make public the photos with the release of a book about Borneo, to be published on Tuesday.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:33 am

That thing is freaky looking. And if it eats meat, that just adds to the freak factor. Pretty cool though that they're still finding new species. The release of the photos seems like it might be more related to the fighting against that oil plant than for the book though. Politics at it's finest.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1633
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Nevada

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:37 am

luckygehrig wrote:That thing is freaky looking. And if it eats meat, that just adds to the freak factor. Pretty cool though that they're still finding new species. The release of the photos seems like it might be more related to the fighting against that oil plant than for the book though. Politics at it's finest.


exactly ...

they took the picture almost three years ago, and now hey are thinking about trapping it? what have they been doing for the last three years?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 660)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:47 am

I bet he was the same WWF researcher that discovered
the infamous "Thatsnotmybelly" Carnivore.
Only to find out after repeated trips to the doctor for severe cat scratches,
it was just spray paint. :-D
Image
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 660)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodpaul » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:01 am

wrveres wrote:I bet he was the same WWF researcher that discovered
the infamous "Thatsnotmybelly" Carnivore.
Only to find out after repeated trips to the doctor for severe cat scratches,
it was just spray paint. :-D
Image


:-D :-D
Image

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kansas City, MO

Postby Minor League Skilz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:14 am

Now that is funny. All cats should be painted. }:-)
Image
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE most comfortable stool in the bar!

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:08 pm

:-o That's kinda freaky lookin'
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:43 pm

Another new animal? Nice. ;-D

Spray painted cats are funny. :-b


Is it just me, or did everyone keep thinking of wrestling while reading that article? (WWF=World Wrestling Federation and I don't care what the World Wildlife Fund has to say :-t , the WWF is wrestling. World Wildlife Fund just wanted hits on it's website, the frickin' idiots :-t ).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Madison wrote:Another new animal? Nice. ;-D

Spray painted cats are funny. :-b


Is it just me, or did everyone keep thinking of wrestling while reading that article? (WWF=World Wrestling Federation and I don't care what the World Wildlife Fund has to say :-t , the WWF is wrestling. World Wildlife Fund just wanted hits on it's website, the frickin' idiots :-t ).


I have a feeling the World Wildlife Fund was created before the World Wrestling Federation.

The WWF(wrestling) was created in the 80's right?
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:07 pm

Red Stripe wrote:
Madison wrote:Another new animal? Nice. ;-D

Spray painted cats are funny. :-b


Is it just me, or did everyone keep thinking of wrestling while reading that article? (WWF=World Wrestling Federation and I don't care what the World Wildlife Fund has to say :-t , the WWF is wrestling. World Wildlife Fund just wanted hits on it's website, the frickin' idiots :-t ).


I have a feeling the World Wildlife Fund was created before the World Wrestling Federation.

The WWF(wrestling) was created in the 80's right?

The World Wildlife Fund was indeed created long before the WWE. That's how they were able to win the court battle. Truth be told, though, the Fund waited until after wrestling had built up the power of the acronym before striking. I think the court should have sided with wrestling out of some sort of advert-oriented squaters logic like with land. You know what I'm talking about, right? If you live on, or do all of the work for, a tract of land for 10 years uncontested, in some jurisdictions, you are awarded ownership of that land.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact