Help me find a college - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Help me find a college

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:21 pm

Webster11 wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:Well...I am taking six classes this year...only one class this year is offered at the AP level which is History.

Anyway... I take Honors PreCalc, Honors English, Honors History, Honors French, Entrepeneurship, and College Physics.

That is IMO, a pretty hefty schedule. First term...my UNWEIGHTED GPA was about 3.4 and my weighted GPA was right at 4.0.

I did not play a fall sport...but I wrote for the town paper, and I was self employed (raking leaves, mowing lawns, etc.)

I think the fact that I went out on my own and drummed up business is very good.

I took the PSAT a month ago but no results yet...realistically, I could get UP TO 800 on the math and about 700 on the english...and as low as 600 and 720 or so. I think I really smoked the math though!!!

Now, I am probably totally over hyping myself...but I think that with that internship...some good interviewing...hey, maybe I have a shot.

Our school also does GPA very differently so I cant really help you with that, I really have no idea what 3.4 means or anything or what my GPA would be on that scale. If your school doesn't offer APs your schedule looks about as tough as it can be, I dont really know the difference between Honors and College though. If you can do well on the SATs though it looks to me like you should have a shot. It might be different for you but for me when I took the SATs I expected my math score to be by far my highest, I took it and it turns out it was my lowest. The math SAT is starnge that way one little mistake here, another there and your score can fall from 800 to 700 very easily, even if you know how to do all the problems.

what the flip is weighted GPA...? Does it mean the harder the classes you take help more? Like a B is better in PreCal Honors then if you got a B in a easier math?
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:21 pm

well basically here is our system
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7

etc...

and then to weight it...you add 1 to every class that is honors or AP

so an A in a AP is a 5.0...the highest possible GPA is 5.0 that would be and A in all honors.

THIS year...we only have History as AP...next year we have basically ALL AP!!!

And their is a HUGE difference between College and Honors. For me, I can sleep through all college classes and get A's and A-'s..honors you better be awake or you are gonna miss a LOT!

For SAT's...I feel like I will MAYBE get 2 wrong if the real one is easy as the PSAT...maybe 2...most likely one or 0. But we'll see

EDIT: I saw another weighted GPA Q...I think i explained it well enough...

as for Webster...my name is BCEagles cause I love their athletics teams!!! As for their school...dont bother...SO many Mass. kids apply just cause it is close and a "hot" school. Its business program is pretty good...from what I have heard...it is tought to get into cause SO MANY PEOPLE APPLY. I am not even going to bother...

But you should check out Babson...it is more for Entrepenuers....

also, Bentley would be a safety school...but their technology is TOPS IN THE COUNTRY. They have a live updating model stock market room! My dad went to Bentley actually.

And I think weighted GPA's suck, because I have HEARD that colleges get sent our unweighted GPA...which cause I take so many honors is considerably less than my weighted...

sorry for the rant
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Webster11 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:25 pm

Ya, even with that information Im afraid I cant help you much. Since we dont offer any honors or college classes our GPA's would be much lower, and Im guessing thats why our school doesnt calculate them the same way.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:27 pm

bceagles04 wrote:well basically here is our system
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7

etc...

so an A in a AP is a 5.0...the highest possible GPA is 5.0 that would be and A in all honors.

And their is a HUGE difference between College and Honors. For me, I can sleep through all college classes and get A's and A-'s..honors you better be awake or you are gonna miss a LOT!

For SAT's...I feel like I will MAYBE get 2 wrong if the real one is easy as the PSAT...maybe 2...most likely one or 0. But we'll see

I saw another weighted GPA Q...I think i explained it well enough...

as for Webster...my name is BCEagles cause I love their athletics teams!!! As for their school...dont bother...SO many Mass. kids apply just cause it is close and a "hot" school. Its business program is pretty good...from what I have heard...it is tought to get into cause SO MANY PEOPLE APPLY. I am not even going to bother...

man that's complicated, we have the simple

100-90 = 4.0
89-80 = 3.0
79-70 = 2.0
69-60 = 1.0

It doesn't matter if your in a AP or honors class either. I'm in Alg3Honors this year and it counts the same as if I was just in Algebra 2.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Webster11 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:31 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:well basically here is our system
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7

etc...

I saw another weighted GPA Q...I think i explained it well enough...

man that's complicated, we have the simple

100-90 = 4.0
89-80 = 3.0
79-70 = 2.0
69-60 = 1.0

It doesn't matter if your in a AP or honors class either. I'm in Alg3Honors this year and it counts the same as if I was just in Algebra 2.

Ya we do it differently too.

A = 11
A- = 10
B+ = 9
B = 8
B- = 7

We dont do any kind of weighting either and we dont even report our GPA or Class Rank to colleges so colleges basically have to look at all our classes and what grades we got and ifgure it out for themselves. Which I guess is a good thing since we won't be penalized in terms of our GPA for taking harder classes (hopefully).
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:37 pm

boy...curious george...that is so much easier.

But at the same time...I am glad I get actual credit for taking very hard classes
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KPucks » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:50 pm

Our grading system is different from the ones you all listed. We are on a 4.0 GPA scale (94-100=A, 86-93=B, 77-85=C, 70-77=D, and 69 or below=E). We get about .02 added onto our GPA for any IB,AP, or honors classes we take. I am in the IB program, and this year alone I am taking 5.5 IB classes, 1 AP, and one art class that I have to take to graduate. I also took 5.5 IB classes and one AP class last year. The IB classes are a big help for colleges because I can have like 55 college credits when I enter school at some places (I know I could have over 50 when I entered at UMiami and in the high 40's at UVA). Colleges have told me that being in the IB program is a big plus b/c its considered the most rigorous diploma program and is recognized worldwide.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:52 pm

what is IB?

Oh man....84 is a C, ouch
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KPucks » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:57 pm

bceagles04 wrote:what is IB?

Oh man....84 is a C, ouch

International Baccalaureate program. Its basically taking college-level classes in math, science, english, a language, history, and an elective. All of my IB classes this year will count for college credit if I score high enough on the exams. The classes are a lot more in depth than AP classes, and the end of the year tests are heavily based on writing, such as essays, to prove that you know the subject.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:00 pm

you use E for failing grades??? I thought everyone used F
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero