Return to General Talk

Help me find a college

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:14 pm

University of Arizona, baby! ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:26 pm

Webster11 wrote:
luckygehrig wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Engineering?

UCSB is a great engineering school.

California Beaches
SoCal Women
Most Nobel Prize Winners of Any College in the US
Less Than An Hour Away From Snow
An Hour From Malibu
An Hour and a half from LA
Three hours from San Diego
Five hours from San Francisco
Worried about getting back to Pittsburgh? There is an airport next to campus...one minute on foot.

This is the actual campus (center and right) with college town on the left.

holy crap...that is an AMAZING campus...beach is like 20 seconds away too!

Is that UCal Santa Barbera?

How is its Business program?

Not to try to deter you from any Cal schools, but I know that when I was applying for college, their apps were due in November. You may have missed the filing deadline.

Wow that is a great location. West Coast is pretty much out of the question for me though. Its not that I wouldnt love to go there, it would just be too different from what Ive lived with all my life.

Change can be good ;-) Plus the chicks out here are :-° . If you can get into Penn you pretty much have to go. Wharton is the best business school in the country ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby statsman88 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:30 pm

if your willing to go as far as michigan, Purdue has a great engineering program
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KPucks » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:43 pm

I applied early to UPenn (find out if I got in next week). Wharton is the best undergrad business school in the country, and they have a very good undergrad engineering school as well. If you got into one and then decided you wanted to switch, it's very easy to double major,or you can try to apply to the other school, which is a little harder.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:44 pm

Question...I know UPenn is like top 5 school in the country (at least top 10)...what are your High SChools like...and what kind of classes/grades do you have to get in their?
lets say my grades are not perfect...but I take all honors, I get very good scores on the SAT's take 3 business classes in 2 years at HS and complete a 60 hour unpaid Business internship (all of this is true btw)...do you think I could get into Wharton with grades that are not PERFECT...but with so many other huge business add ons, that getting into their BUSINESS school is plausible?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Webster11 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:02 pm

bceagles04 wrote:Question...I know UPenn is like top 5 school in the country (at least top 10)...what are your High SChools like...and what kind of classes/grades do you have to get in their?
lets say my grades are not perfect...but I take all honors, I get very good scores on the SAT's take 3 business classes in 2 years at HS and complete a 60 hour unpaid Business internship (all of this is true btw)...do you think I could get into Wharton with grades that are not PERFECT...but with so many other huge business add ons, that getting into their BUSINESS school is plausible?

I think most schools look at you in the context of your high school, at least thats what Im told. If you take the most challenging courses your school offers thats the best you can do. I go to a small college prep school so we have lots of AP classes offered but we dont have any honors or any other kind of advanced classes, but Ive taken the most AP classes in our school so Im hoping theyll look at that as a big positive. I also got very good scores on the SATs and did an internship. I know for a fact that the internship will look great. My friends dad is a Business proffessor at Carnegie Mellon University (another top business school) and he told me that they look very favorably on any jobs or internships, and having done one in Business should only help. Extra curriculars such as volunteering and sorts etc could also make a difference, but I think you should have a good shot especially if the not perfect grades were in advanced level classes ;-D
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Webster11 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:05 pm

KPucks wrote:I applied early to UPenn (find out if I got in next week). Wharton is the best undergrad business school in the country, and they have a very good undergrad engineering school as well. If you got into one and then decided you wanted to switch, it's very easy to double major,or you can try to apply to the other school, which is a little harder.

Thanks, and good luck ;-D
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:10 pm

Well...I am taking six classes this year...only one class this year is offered at the AP level which is History.

Anyway... I take Honors PreCalc, Honors English, Honors History, Honors French, Entrepeneurship, and College Physics.

That is IMO, a pretty hefty schedule. First term...my UNWEIGHTED GPA was about 3.4 and my weighted GPA was right at 4.0.

I did not play a fall sport...but I wrote for the town paper, and I was self employed (raking leaves, mowing lawns, etc.)

I think the fact that I went out on my own and drummed up business is very good.

I took the PSAT a month ago but no results yet...realistically, I could get UP TO 800 on the math and about 700 on the english...and as low as 600 and 720 or so. I think I really smoked the math though!!!

Now, I am probably totally over hyping myself...but I think that with that internship...some good interviewing...hey, maybe I have a shot.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Webster11 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:18 pm

bceagles04 wrote:Well...I am taking six classes this year...only one class this year is offered at the AP level which is History.

Anyway... I take Honors PreCalc, Honors English, Honors History, Honors French, Entrepeneurship, and College Physics.

That is IMO, a pretty hefty schedule. First term...my UNWEIGHTED GPA was about 3.4 and my weighted GPA was right at 4.0.

I did not play a fall sport...but I wrote for the town paper, and I was self employed (raking leaves, mowing lawns, etc.)

I think the fact that I went out on my own and drummed up business is very good.

I took the PSAT a month ago but no results yet...realistically, I could get UP TO 800 on the math and about 700 on the english...and as low as 600 and 720 or so. I think I really smoked the math though!!!

Now, I am probably totally over hyping myself...but I think that with that internship...some good interviewing...hey, maybe I have a shot.

Our school also does GPA very differently so I cant really help you with that, I really have no idea what 3.4 means or anything or what my GPA would be on that scale. If your school doesn't offer APs your schedule looks about as tough as it can be, I dont really know the difference between Honors and College though. If you can do well on the SATs though it looks to me like you should have a shot. It might be different for you but for me when I took the SATs I expected my math score to be by far my highest, I took it and it turns out it was my lowest. The math SAT is starnge that way one little mistake here, another there and your score can fall from 800 to 700 very easily, even if you know how to do all the problems.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Webster11 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:19 pm

bceagles04 wrote:Well...I am taking six classes this year...only one class this year is offered at the AP level which is History.

Also how's Boston College, Im thinking of applying there since they have a fairly good Business program (I think) and there application is very easy. Thanks
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk