Dodgers interested in Soriano...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodgers interested in Soriano...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:21 am

Probably the OF, since the Dodgers' LF and RF blows (JD in CF). Kemp should take over RF in 2-3 years if he continues his progress, but I'm guessing Guzman will either be traded, or move to LF, as LaRoche is at 3B.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:31 pm

speedy27 wrote:What would the Rangers do with Broxton? would he be a starter for them?

Alfonso Soriano - 2B - Rangers
The Dodgers are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano for reliever Jonathon Broxton, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.
That would be a considerably smaller price tag than expected and more in line with what Soriano is worth. Broxton, one of the game's best relief prospects, could turn into a quality setup man for the Rangers as soon as the second half of next year and he has closer potential. Dec. 6 - 10:09 pm et

Just looking at his numbers Broxton looks like a really solid prospect. He could probably use another year in AAA but he doesn't seem to be far away from the majors. If the Dodgers are interested in Soriano it seems like a solid deal.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:52 pm

brandnew wrote:Just to repeat:

Home: .315/.355/.656/1.011 25 HR's

Away: .224/.265/.374/.639 11 HR

Look at that. His home slugging percentage is more than his away OPS.

I'll pick up on this. If Soriano is traded to the Dodgers, his fantasy value falls significantly. If you adjust for park and league you get about a 10-25 percent drop in stats. That turns his top end prediction into something resembling his 2004 season, with slightly more runs and SBs, but a lower BA. If that's the case, he's a 3rd or 4th rounder, not a top ten player. He could offset that with an increase in SBs, and he does trade some road games in LA, Oak, and Sea for Colorado and Arizona. But, I don't know that it would offset the Dodger Stadium and Petco effect
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:02 pm

RynMan wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
RynMan wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
eftda wrote:Maybe the Dodgers and move Kent to 1st or trade him to the Yankees, who then can trade Cano to the Marlins.

:-b no thanks. why would we want kent instead of cano?

Because Kent will outperform Cano offensively for the next 2 or 3 seasons....

1. That's an opinion. Kent is old and you never know when the decline comes. I'm not saying I disagree, but you cannot make that statement with certainty.

2. Kent is owed $9 million in 2006 as compared to the league minimum for Cano.

3. Kent's deal expires after this season so they'll likely have to sign him to a 2 or 3 year extension in order to keep him. Cano won't be FA eligible for a long time. The Yankees can have him locked up at 2B for a while.

4. Who would the Yankees trade Cano for? Pierre? Yeah right. He solves none of the Yankees needs and they'd likely let him walk after next year anyway after he proves that. If the Yankees want a big-name CF, they might as well wait until next offseason when they can have a choice of Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Mike Cameron, etc.

Makes no sense for the Yankees. Zero.

The question was why would the Yankees want him, and I offered an explanation. I'm pretty sure I never said that the Yankees would do it, nor do I think that they should. All the time it took you to knock up those 4 points, you were preaching to the choir.

pwned
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Yoda wrote:
RynMan wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
RynMan wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
eftda wrote:Maybe the Dodgers and move Kent to 1st or trade him to the Yankees, who then can trade Cano to the Marlins.

:-b no thanks. why would we want kent instead of cano?

Because Kent will outperform Cano offensively for the next 2 or 3 seasons....

1. That's an opinion. Kent is old and you never know when the decline comes. I'm not saying I disagree, but you cannot make that statement with certainty.

2. Kent is owed $9 million in 2006 as compared to the league minimum for Cano.

3. Kent's deal expires after this season so they'll likely have to sign him to a 2 or 3 year extension in order to keep him. Cano won't be FA eligible for a long time. The Yankees can have him locked up at 2B for a while.

4. Who would the Yankees trade Cano for? Pierre? Yeah right. He solves none of the Yankees needs and they'd likely let him walk after next year anyway after he proves that. If the Yankees want a big-name CF, they might as well wait until next offseason when they can have a choice of Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Mike Cameron, etc.

Makes no sense for the Yankees. Zero.

The question was why would the Yankees want him, and I offered an explanation. I'm pretty sure I never said that the Yankees would do it, nor do I think that they should. All the time it took you to knock up those 4 points, you were preaching to the choir.

pwned

What are you talking about Yoda? I wasn't trying to get into a fight with RynMan about it, or call him out.

I was just showing why that deal made no sense. Not nessicarily for RynMan, but for anyone who thought a deal like that would make sense. It just doesn't. That was my point.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby cristóbal » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:08 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
brandnew wrote:Just to repeat:

Home: .315/.355/.656/1.011 25 HR's

Away: .224/.265/.374/.639 11 HR

Look at that. His home slugging percentage is more than his away OPS.

I'll pick up on this. If Soriano is traded to the Dodgers, his fantasy value falls significantly. If you adjust for park and league you get about a 10-25 percent drop in stats. That turns his top end prediction into something resembling his 2004 season, with slightly more runs and SBs, but a lower BA. If that's the case, he's a 3rd or 4th rounder, not a top ten player. He could offset that with an increase in SBs, and he does trade some road games in LA, Oak, and Sea for Colorado and Arizona. But, I don't know that it would offset the Dodger Stadium and Petco effect

dont forget pac bell
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:48 pm

cristóbal wrote:
dont forget pac bell

Didn't forget about it. It's just not that important. Petco decreases offense by about 10 percent. Pac Bell is basically a neutral park.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby eftda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:53 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
cristóbal wrote:
dont forget pac bell

Didn't forget about it. It's just not that important. Petco decreases offense by about 10 percent. Pac Bell is basically a neutral park.

for home team (bonds) and away teams? Id love to see those stats
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:42 pm

eftda wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
cristóbal wrote:
dont forget pac bell

for home team (bonds) and away teams? Id love to see those stats

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams ... tend.shtml

In its early days, PacBell was an extreme pitcher's park. The last three years, it has played as a neutral park. And park factors ALWAYS include the performance both the home and visiting teams. That's the only way to get a park factor.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby eftda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:54 pm

SBC is more of a pitchers park than neutral.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/par ... eason=2005

26th in runs scored last year.
22nd in 2004
23rd in 2003
17th in 2002
22nd in 2001
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers