Dodgers interested in Soriano...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodgers interested in Soriano...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:20 pm

RynMan wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
eftda wrote:Maybe the Dodgers and move Kent to 1st or trade him to the Yankees, who then can trade Cano to the Marlins.

:-b no thanks. why would we want kent instead of cano?

Because Kent will outperform Cano offensively for the next 2 or 3 seasons....

1. That's an opinion. Kent is old and you never know when the decline comes. I'm not saying I disagree, but you cannot make that statement with certainty.

2. Kent is owed $9 million in 2006 as compared to the league minimum for Cano.

3. Kent's deal expires after this season so they'll likely have to sign him to a 2 or 3 year extension in order to keep him. Cano won't be FA eligible for a long time. The Yankees can have him locked up at 2B for a while.

4. Who would the Yankees trade Cano for? Pierre? Yeah right. He solves none of the Yankees needs and they'd likely let him walk after next year anyway after he proves that. If the Yankees want a big-name CF, they might as well wait until next offseason when they can have a choice of Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Mike Cameron, etc.

Makes no sense for the Yankees. Zero.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose32 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:27 pm

Its ok send Kent to the Mets
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby speedy27 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:29 pm

What would the Rangers do with Broxton? would he be a starter for them?

Alfonso Soriano - 2B - Rangers
The Dodgers are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano for reliever Jonathon Broxton, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.
That would be a considerably smaller price tag than expected and more in line with what Soriano is worth. Broxton, one of the game's best relief prospects, could turn into a quality setup man for the Rangers as soon as the second half of next year and he has closer potential. Dec. 6 - 10:09 pm et
Last edited by speedy27 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:32 pm

The Dodgers would be ok with Soriano until Izturis comes back with Furcal on SS, Soriano on 2B and Kent at 1B.

What happens when Cesar returns though? Could he move to 3B or would they try to move him? I don't think Soriano could be convinced to move to the OF, though LA would probably try.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:34 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
RynMan wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:
eftda wrote:Maybe the Dodgers and move Kent to 1st or trade him to the Yankees, who then can trade Cano to the Marlins.

:-b no thanks. why would we want kent instead of cano?

Because Kent will outperform Cano offensively for the next 2 or 3 seasons....

1. That's an opinion. Kent is old and you never know when the decline comes. I'm not saying I disagree, but you cannot make that statement with certainty.

2. Kent is owed $9 million in 2006 as compared to the league minimum for Cano.

3. Kent's deal expires after this season so they'll likely have to sign him to a 2 or 3 year extension in order to keep him. Cano won't be FA eligible for a long time. The Yankees can have him locked up at 2B for a while.

4. Who would the Yankees trade Cano for? Pierre? Yeah right. He solves none of the Yankees needs and they'd likely let him walk after next year anyway after he proves that. If the Yankees want a big-name CF, they might as well wait until next offseason when they can have a choice of Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Mike Cameron, etc.

Makes no sense for the Yankees. Zero.

The question was why would the Yankees want him, and I offered an explanation. I'm pretty sure I never said that the Yankees would do it, nor do I think that they should. All the time it took you to knock up those 4 points, you were preaching to the choir.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:37 pm

RynMan wrote:Because Kent will outperform Cano offensively for the next 2 or 3 seasons....

says who? maybe next season, but 2 or 3 seasons? i dont think so. cano will be getting better by every season, while kent will be getting worse. cano may not have the pop that kent has, but as long as he drives the ball and is in the yankee lineup, he'll do fine. cano makes next to none compared to the other players on the team and he solves the Yankees 2B problems for years to come. Kent is a rental player for a few years, makes no sense Yankees to give Cano up.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:49 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
RynMan wrote:Because Kent will outperform Cano offensively for the next 2 or 3 seasons....

says who? maybe next season, but 2 or 3 seasons? i dont think so. cano will be getting better by every season, while kent will be getting worse. cano may not have the pop that kent has, but as long as he drives the ball and is in the yankee lineup, he'll do fine. cano makes next to none compared to the other players on the team and he solves the Yankees 2B problems for years to come. Kent is a rental player for a few years, makes no sense Yankees to give Cano up.

Ok.

I dont think Soriano would be a good fit for the Dodgers.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby brandnew » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:55 pm

Man, I hate Soriano. He's going to be absolutely horrible at that stadium.

IMO, Kent is just as good, if not better than, Soriano. The Dodgers need Broxton in the bullpen if/when Gagne goes down with an injury. Are they crazy? Soriano is not a need. See? THIS is where Depo would come in handy. Colletti is starting to look like a terrible GM. This would be the second horrible move in the span of a week. Should've kept Depo ;-)

Just to repeat:

Home: .315/.355/.656/1.011 25 HR's

Away: .224/.265/.374/.639 11 HR

Look at that. His home slugging percentage is more than his away OPS.

Honestly, I think it would be much wiser to forget Soriano, keep Kent, and try to get an OF bat (Dunn, Wilkerson)
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby brandnew » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:39 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Andruw is not a Free Agent until after the 2007 season, and most likely is not going anywhere, considering Smoltz's contracts will be off the books, and the $$ will probably go to re-signing him. Even if he does leave, I don't think there's a chance in hell he goes to NY. He's already proved once he's not about the money.[/b]
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cristóbal » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:13 am

with all of this talk... where does joel guzman fit into the picture?
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers