What the heck are the Padres doing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What the heck are the Padres doing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:39 pm

No, I actually like what the Pads are doing. I mean, I don't so much like the Giles signing, because he'll be that much older when it comes to time to compete again, and still paid heftily, but hey, they need to put some fans in seats next year. The one-year rentals with a view to a complete makeover next year are exactly what I'd do.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:06 pm

If I were a Padres fan, I would have no problem with what they are doing in this 05-06 offseason. The NL West should be weak again this year with Colorado in a mess, the Dodgers being the Dodgers and the Giants hoping on Bonds to be Bonds. The Padres will be able to compete this coming year with Peavy and some one year rentals. Then next year when they lose those contracts and the FA market looks a bit better, the Pads should be able to sign some players to go along with Peavy, Greene, Barfield, Giles and gang that will more than likely let them put a strangle hold on their division for the next few years easily.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:27 pm

I just have a feeling that Peavy won't stay healthy... Just a gut feeling.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Holy Hand Grenade wrote:They're just a poorly run team. That's all. How many teams could bring up Peavy and Jason Bay, luck into an improbable explosion from Mark Loretta, play in the NL West and still only play .500 ball?

They should fire Kevin Towers and bring in Cam Bonifay or Dan Duquette. It'll be a step up.

They didn't bring up Bay, I believe they got him from the Mets or Expos. Also, last year was more of an implosion for Loretta than in explosion... and don't ever suggest Cam Bonifay or Dan Duquette as an upgrade... that's just mean.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby tal1286 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:15 pm

apparently hoffman resigned with the pads.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251623

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:20 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
Holy Hand Grenade wrote:They're just a poorly run team. That's all. How many teams could bring up Peavy and Jason Bay, luck into an improbable explosion from Mark Loretta, play in the NL West and still only play .500 ball?

They should fire Kevin Towers and bring in Cam Bonifay or Dan Duquette. It'll be a step up.

They didn't bring up Bay, I believe they got him from the Mets or Expos. Also, last year was more of an implosion for Loretta than in explosion... and don't ever suggest Cam Bonifay or Dan Duquette as an upgrade... that's just mean.

Dan Duquette---- bad memories :-/
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Yoda wrote:I just have a feeling that Peavy won't stay healthy... Just a gut feeling.

I hope your gut is wrong.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers