What the heck are the Padres doing? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What the heck are the Padres doing?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What the heck are the Padres doing?

Postby quicksilver8 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:08 pm

I guess I need someone to explain the horrible moves SanDiego is making (or not making) this off season.
1) Vinny Castilla at 3b? C'mon...this guy is just not good and not young.
2) Letting Nady go? Bad move. Getting Cameron...worse move. Has Cameron had an entire healthy season since Dubbya became president?
3) Why let Hoffman go? The don't have anybody ready to step into the closer role that I can think of...Linebrink is a stretch at closer (imo).
4) Why have I heard rumors that Eaton is being shopped and that the Padres are trying to bring in Kenny Rogers or David WElls? C'mon, those guys are not going to make more than a years' contribution...and it probably won't be a good one. Eaton has much more long term upside.

Help?
Last edited by quicksilver8 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:12 pm

umm...they resigned Giles.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby ironman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:26 pm

I read that they were considering dealing Loretta and Otsuka for Wells. I can't see how that would be worthwhile.

Its probably just a rumor.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby rlee » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:10 pm

Latest rumor is Wells to the Dodgers. The Pads and Red Sox are talking a Mirabelli for Loretta straight up trade.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Holy Hand Grenade » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:13 pm

They're just a poorly run team. That's all. How many teams could bring up Peavy and Jason Bay, luck into an improbable explosion from Mark Loretta, play in the NL West and still only play .500 ball?

They should fire Kevin Towers and bring in Cam Bonifay or Dan Duquette. It'll be a step up.
Holy Hand Grenade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby davidmarver » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:21 pm

Holy Hand Grenade wrote:They're just a poorly run team. That's all. How many teams could bring up Peavy and Jason Bay, luck into an improbable explosion from Mark Loretta, play in the NL West and still only play .500 ball?

Loretta had always been a good average hitter, but had been hampered by injuries...that explosion wasn't completely luck as it was Loretta getting regular playing time and staying healthy.

Castilla is an upgrade from Burroughs at third, that much I will tell you.

Cameron will be better than Nady this season and even though I may not like the deal myself, it does make the Padres avoid any arbitration/contract situations with Scott Boras.

Linebrink can't step into the closer role? Did you see his numbers last season? They were better than Hoffman's.

While I don't think we should move Loretta, if we do it opens up second for Josh Barfield...not the worst of options.

The Padres were .500 because Dave Roberts, Mark Loretta, Khalil Greene, Ramon Hernandez, Jake Peavy, Adam Eaton, and Woody Williams missed time...Nevin decided to stop hitting the baseball and Klesko was his usual self.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:01 am

I'm right there with you Marver. I think the Pads have made some solid moves this offseason. Even though not signing Hoffman is a PR nightmare they kept Giles (who was the younger player). They still have Otsuka and Linebrink in their bullpen and if Linebrink ends up closing maybe they could bring in a guy like Baez by dealing a pitching prospect to the Rays. Even though the Pads aren't taking a big step to improve this year I think that this is a team that went to the playoffs last year and has improved slightly during the offseason.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: What the heck are the Padres doing?

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:28 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:1) Vinny Castilla at 3b? C'mon...this guy is just not good and not young. Big Upgrade over what was there last season, plus a one year contract rental
2) Letting Nady go? Bad move. Getting Cameron...worse move. Brought in for his defense. Period! Petco CF is deeeep. Even still certainly an upgrade over Roberts no?
3) Why let Hoffman go? Let? What is the price on loyalty is it 2 million over two years, or is 3 mill. I forget ... Let?
4) Why have I heard rumors that Eaton is being shopped Because Eatons number still look awful, and he gets half of his games in a extreme pitching park. I have always been a big Eaton guy, but I have come to beleive that he wil never turn that corner, so let somebody else try ..

and that the Padres are trying to bring in Kenny Rogers or David WElls?

also one year rentals, and guys who could succeed in this park in 2006.
They will probably need a good defensive CF to help out, oops got that, but they will be fine, and only here for a year.

Help? okay

Next year the Padres lose the contracts of
Ryan Klesko 10 Million
Chan Ho Park 13 Million
Adam Eaton 3 Million
Loretta 3 million
Vinny Castilla 3 Million
Akinori Otsuka 2 Million
and then Cameron 6 Million

the only players hey have signed past next season are .
Peavy 4.75
Giles 9.0
Linebrink 1.75 (option)
Camerons 7.0 (option)
thats it.
Greene will be ready for arbitration by then, but still ..
Thats roughly 30- 40 million to go shopping in 2007 where it should be a much better market.

Alderson will steer this ship correctly. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Re: What the heck are the Padres doing?

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:32 pm

wrveres wrote:
quicksilver8 wrote:1) Vinny Castilla at 3b? C'mon...this guy is just not good and not young. Big Upgrade over what was there last season, plus a one year contract rental
2) Letting Nady go? Bad move. Getting Cameron...worse move. Brought in for his defense. Period! Petco CF is deeeep. Even still certainly an upgrade over Roberts no?
3) Why let Hoffman go? Let? What is the price on loyalty is it 2 million over two years, or is 3 mill. I forget ... Let?
4) Why have I heard rumors that Eaton is being shopped Because Eatons number still look awful, and he gets half of his games in a extreme pitching park. I have always been a big Eaton guy, but I have come to beleive that he wil never turn that corner, so let somebody else try ..

and that the Padres are trying to bring in Kenny Rogers or David WElls?

also one year rentals, and guys who could succeed in this park in 2006.
They will probably need a good defensive CF to help out, oops got that, but they will be fine, and only here for a year.

Help? okay

Next year the Padres lose the contracts of
Ryan Klesko 10 Million
Chan Ho Park 13 Million
Adam Eaton 3 Million
Loretta 3 million
Vinny Castilla 3 Million
Akinori Otsuka 2 Million
and then Cameron 6 Million

the only players hey have signed past next season are .
Peavy 4.75
Giles 9.0
Linebrink 1.75 (option)
Camerons 7.0 (option)
thats it.
Greene will be ready for arbitration by then, but still ..
Thats roughly 30- 40 million to go shopping in 2007 where it should be a much better market.

Alderson will steer this ship correctly. ;-D

homer
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Holy crap! Next year they'll finally be rid of Park and Klesko's contract? And there will be rejoicing in San Diego.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers