Crazy right-to-life case - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Crazy right-to-life case

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crazy right-to-life case

Postby WharfRat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:31 pm

This is an insane story, really nauseating, really heartbreaking for the kid...

Murder charge could follow right-to-die fight
Stepdad seeks life support for 11-year-old he allegedly beat into a coma

BOSTON - The stepfather of an 11-year-old girl went to Massachusetts' highest court on Tuesday hoping to block the state from taking her off life support.

If the girl dies, he could face a murder charge for taking part in the beating that left her comatose.

Haleigh Poutre was hospitalized in September after her stepfather and adoptive mother kicked her and beat her nearly to death with a baseball bat.

Within two weeks of being charged with assault and battery, the adoptive mother, Holli Strickland, who was also Haleigh's aunt, was found dead alongside her grandmother in a possible murder-suicide.

Her stepfather, Jason Strickland, is free on bail while awaiting trial on assault charges.

The state Department of Social Services has custody of the girl and wants to remove her from life support, citing opinions from her doctors that the girl is in a permanent vegetative state.

A juvenile court judge has granted the state's request to disconnect Haleigh's feeding tube and ventilator.

Jason Strickland appealed, and the Supreme Judicial Court scheduled arguments for Tuesday morning.

Both of Haleigh's doctors agree that she should be removed from the ventilator, but they are split over whether her feeding tube should be disconnected.

They have said that with her feeding tube alone, Haleigh could live as long as two months.

Without any life support assistance, she would die much sooner, the doctors said.

Haleigh was adopted by her aunt about five years ago after her biological mother moved to Virginia with a new boyfriend.

Jason Strickland never formally adopted the girl, but is arguing that as the stepfather, he should be considered a de facto parent and allowed to have a say in whether she lives or dies.

His lawyer, John Egan, has insisted his client isn't motivated by the chance he could be charged with murder if the girl dies.

"We should be coming down on the side of life as opposed to death," he said.

Read that lawyer's quote at the end. Should've thought of that BEFORE your client beat his stepdaughter within two inches of her life, jackass! :-[

Anyone want to wager Congress feels the need to step in again?
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:34 pm

Congress should have nothing to do with this.

Since the poor girl is in the custody of the state, it should be up to the doctors to make the decision. The girl is in a permanent vegetative state. People don't really understand what this means, and they certainly didn't know during the Terry Shiavo thing (but we won't get into that).

The only interest the lawyer has in this is keeping his client from getting charged with murder. But if she's in vegetative state, she's already dead and he should be charged no matter what.

That's not exactly how our justice system works though, but it is an appalling situation. The state should not have to pay to keep someone on life support without a chance of recovery just to keep a deadbeat from beating a murder charge.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:37 pm

Coppermine wrote:The state should not have to pay to keep someone on life support without a chance of recovery just to keep a deadbeat from beating a murder charge.

Pretty much sums it up right there.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:18 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Coppermine wrote:The state should not have to pay to keep someone on life support without a chance of recovery just to keep a deadbeat from beating a murder charge.

Agreed..and what a diK beatin an 11 year old with a baseball bat! Come on now thats pretty much the worst thing ever
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:44 pm

acsguitar wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

Agreed..and what a diK beatin an 11 year old with a baseball bat! Come on now thats pretty much the worst thing ever

Oh come on... I'm sure this stepfather has some redeeming qualities ;-7

What a waste of that poor little girl's life. I'm with Madison on this one- fry the bastard. More space on the planet for the rest of us decent folks. :-°
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:46 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

What a waste of that poor little girl's life. I'm with Madison on this one- fry the bastard. More space on the planet for the rest of us decent folks. :-°

Wait a second I haven't seen Madison chime in with a "Fry him" post yet...Something must be wrong quick someone fly to Fort Worth
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:08 pm

acsguitar wrote:
_Simulacrum_ wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

Wait a second I haven't seen Madison chime in with a "Fry him" post yet...Something must be wrong quick someone fly to Fort Worth

Everyone knows what's coming from me on this one. :-D

Fry that good for nothing EXPLETIVE! }:-)

Normally I have a little humor in my "FRY HIM" posts, but this guy certainly deserves to be beaten within an inch of his life, brought back to health, tortured until it almost drives him insane, and then fried until he burns into nothingness. This kind of person deserves nothing but pain and misery, and I'd be happy to take care of that :-[ .

As to the girl, since the doctors agree that she's a vegetable, take her off life support and let her pass in peace. :,-(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 pm

Do you have this shirt, Madison?

Because well... you should. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:18 pm

Ya that white trash piece of **** should definitely get a say in whether the person he put in this state lives or dies? Only reason he wants a say is to keep her alive so he doesn't get charged with murder. He probably wouldn't give a damn if she died as long as nothing happened to him. Hope he rots in prison and gets his salad tossed everyday.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:43 pm

Red Stripe wrote:Ya that white trash piece of **** should definitely get a say in whether the person he put in this state lives or dies? Only reason he wants a say is to keep her alive so he doesn't get charged with murder. He probably wouldn't give a damn if she died as long as nothing happened to him. Hope he rots in prison and gets his salad tossed everyday.

Agreed :-t

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk