I'm also committed to playing in the World Baseball Classic - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm also committed to playing in the World Baseball Classic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm also committed to playing in the World Baseball Classic

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:56 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

Seems like everyone and their doctor has announced their intetions to play in this years World Baseball Classic. Ticker at the bottom of ESPN agreed that tons of top talent will be involved.

I'm glad to see everyone stepping forward and volunteering their services for this, I was a little worried it would just be mid-level stars competing for nothing worth mentioning. Just hope everyone stays injury-free for this games...
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:01 pm

The DR lineup is stacked. With pitchers not in midseason form they will slug there way to the title game. Look for South Africa to lose to the Domicans by the mercy rule in their first meeting.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby superotto80 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:16 pm

I dont understand some of the commitments though. for example the entire Italy team. Mike Piazza, Dave Delluci, Doug Mirabelli? are any of these guys actually from Italy? Same goes with A-Rod he is undecided who he is gonna play for. Didnt he grow up in the U.S.? I dont think i agree with the ida that just becuase your name is of certain nationality should not mean you can play for that country.
superotto80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Red Stripe » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:17 pm

Says Piazza has the choice between the US and Italy, please choose Italy Piazza!!!! :-b

Anyway this little World Classic is really going to piss me off if one of my players on my fantasy team gets hurt.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:30 pm

It really is good to see so many people step forward. I was honestly thinking when I heard about this, that it would end up being a bunch of mid-level players playing games that I would barley want to see. With some of these names announced, I think I may be changing my tune.

superotto80 wrote:I dont understand some of the commitments though. for example the entire Italy team. Mike Piazza, Dave Delluci, Doug Mirabelli? are any of these guys actually from Italy? Same goes with A-Rod he is undecided who he is gonna play for. Didnt he grow up in the U.S.? I dont think i agree with the ida that just becuase your name is of certain nationality should not mean you can play for that country.

I don't see that big of a deal, they are using Olympic rules. I mean if they can qualify for the country they feel is their "Home Country" then more power to them...after all this is pretty much an exhibition. As well as the fact it may lend to some teams getting a few stars they might otherwise not get.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:08 am

I don't see why anyone gives a rat's a** about this World Cup of Baseball BS or whatever they are calling it. Who cares?...glorified exhibition games with NO meaning whatsoever unless someone gets hurt. I want to see the reaction the first time some big name players misses significant time because of an injury sustained playing in this.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:11 am

As soon as the first big name player suffers a significant injury, this thing is done forever. I know I wouldn't want my pitchers going to pitch in this thing in early March. I hope the number of Yankees attending is to a minimum, especially pitchers.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 119)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:13 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:As soon as the first big name player suffers a significant injury, this thing is done forever. I know I wouldn't want my pitchers going to pitch in this thing in early March. I hope the number of Yankees attending is to a minimum, especially pitchers.

I hope it is ZERO.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:26 am

Matsuzaka will shut everybody down :-D
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:21 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I don't see why anyone gives a rat's a** about this World Cup of Baseball BS or whatever they are calling it. Who cares?...glorified exhibition games with NO meaning whatsoever unless someone gets hurt. I want to see the reaction the first time some big name players misses significant time because of an injury sustained playing in this.

I think it's interesting because the whole thing is just fun. There's lots of baseball during the regular season that is meaningless, just like these games. Detroit vs. KC? Reds vs. Rockies? So what if it's meaningless, damn, the whole sport of baseball is meaningless. It's just there for us to watch and have a good time.

World Cup baseball is there to create interest in other countries... but I do agree, I wonder about the long-term participation in this event once a Pujols or Arod gets injured.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Baseball Leftovers