Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnett gone to Jays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:43 pm

Green was good back in the day. ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:50 pm

eftda wrote:Green was good back in the day. ;-D

I always liked Green. I was kind of disappointed when he left.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:54 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:year 2000

Raul Mondesi 23
Carlos Delgado 28
Tony Batista 24
Jose Cruz Jr. 20
Oh yeah, and I think in 1998 or 1999 they had 3 guys go 20-20 (Green, Stewart, and Cruz). I'm pretty sure I still have a poster they gave out at Fan Appreciation Day 7 years ago recognizing those three.

All four of those guys were good players for the team in 2000, especially Delgado.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:01 pm

mweir145 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:year 2000

Raul Mondesi 23
Carlos Delgado 28
Tony Batista 24
Jose Cruz Jr. 20
Oh yeah, and I think in 1998 or 1999 they had 3 guys go 20-20 (Green, Stewart, and Cruz). I'm pretty sure I still have a poster they gave out at Fan Appreciation Day 7 years ago recognizing those three.

All four of those guys were good players for the team in 2000, especially Delgado.

just saying the Jays don't have any pop on offense, I am all for trading Hillenbrand(to the BoSox for Youkilis :-D )

and mweir please read your pm and whether or not you are interested, give me a pm back telling me(at least let me you you read it)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:52 am

I'm an AJ burnett fan. ;-D always have been. :-D welcome to toronto AJ. :-)

off season has been great for the jays. very excited for 2006. i'll be there on opening day, i'll be there for the second day of the season. i'll get that bj ryan flex pack and get the bj ryan bobblehead. 8-o i usually go to more than 10 games anyway. B-) and if there is a AJ burnett pack...i'll get it too. :-°

i was a bit worried he would go to the cards, but i'm glad he made the right choice. :-D

interesting things on AJ's contract:

- player-out clause. after 3 years, burnett can opt out of his contract. i doubt he would walk away from a 5 year deal leaving that much money on the table, but this could work out well for both parties. hopefully he won't go anywhere for the next 5 years.

- Burnett's wife, Karen, is entitled to eight round-trip limousine trips per season between Toronto and her home in Bowie, Md. Karen Burnett does not like to fly. (Link)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:17 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:- player-out clause. after 3 years, burnett can opt out of his contract. i doubt he would walk away from a 5 year deal leaving that much money on the table, but this could work out well for both parties. hopefully he won't go anywhere for the next 5 years.

- Burnett's wife, Karen, is entitled to eight round-trip limousine trips per season between Toronto and her home in Bowie, Md. Karen Burnett does not like to fly.

That's just a Ken Rosenthal rumour. I heard that he cannot substantiate that and that he didn't read the contract but that he just heard that from someone else.

I don't care about the limo rides, that's the price of doing business, but the third year out would make this a very bad deal if it is true.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:36 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:- player-out clause. after 3 years, burnett can opt out of his contract. i doubt he would walk away from a 5 year deal leaving that much money on the table, but this could work out well for both parties. hopefully he won't go anywhere for the next 5 years.

- Burnett's wife, Karen, is entitled to eight round-trip limousine trips per season between Toronto and her home in Bowie, Md. Karen Burnett does not like to fly.

That's just a Ken Rosenthal rumour. I heard that he cannot substantiate that and that he didn't read the contract but that he just heard that from someone else.

I don't care about the limo rides, that's the price of doing business, but the third year out would make this a very bad deal if it is true.

JP confirmed the player-out clause this morning on the radio.

JP said the jays were the only ones who were not offering that clause, but they finally had to step up seeing he was gonna go somewhere else. i don't think it's really that bad. say burnett picthes well for the jays for 3 years, even if he walks away, the jays still got three years out of him and will save some money. i don't believe that he would walk away from the 5 year deal, but if he does suck and decide to leave after 3 years, the jays will still have saved some of the money.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Subversive » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 pm

If he sucks, he won't be opting out. If he dominates, he will. The only way this is good in 3 years from a Jays perspective is if he's decent, but not dominating, and decides to stay. Either way, I'm still fine with the deal. He improves their team, and that's all I want as a Jays fan, a chance to win.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:14 pm

I think it's a good deal for the Jays. They get a talented starting pitcher who can be a #1A type guy behind Halladay. He's overpaid for sure but the reward outweighs the risks. This also effectively slides Chacin into #3 which should help him immensely than if he were asked to be #2.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

I'm trying to understand how the opt-out makes this a bad deal. If he pitches great over the course of the first 3 years, and then decides to opt out for more money on the market, well all the better for him (but who is really going to turn down 24 million guranteed?). If he does happen to opt out, the Jays would have gotten Burnett at 31 million over 3 years which is quite a good bargain. I'm not sure where the Jays really go wrong there.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers