ESPN Baseball Tonight Winter Meetings Special... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN Baseball Tonight Winter Meetings Special...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:47 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Philly Pride wrote:They thought Cano was going to be a call-up in this year rather than last year.

I had no clue about Wang. The kid came out of nowhere and was great. The Yankees really do have good prospects, it's just that they trade them so often for big name players that we don't hear about them.

Actually...not really.

Can you name me a big prospect that has come up over the past few years, from the Yankees farm system? Wily Mo Pena is about the only one who has somewhat of a prominent name, and even he isn't that big.

Most of the Yankee prospects are overhyped because they are Yankee prospects. Alot of them turn out to be nothing special...see: Brandon Claussen. I was flipping out when they traded him for Boone, but he turned out to be nothing special.

Big name prospect in Yanks organization : Alfonso Soriano

Baseball America also considers Jose Contreras and Hideki Matsui prospects - that could be debated
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:50 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Philly Pride wrote:They thought Cano was going to be a call-up in this year rather than last year.

I had no clue about Wang. The kid came out of nowhere and was great. The Yankees really do have good prospects, it's just that they trade them so often for big name players that we don't hear about them.

Actually...not really.

Can you name me a big prospect that has come up over the past few years, from the Yankees farm system? Wily Mo Pena is about the only one who has somewhat of a prominent name, and even he isn't that big.

Most of the Yankee prospects are overhyped because they are Yankee prospects. Alot of them turn out to be nothing special...see: Brandon Claussen. I was flipping out when they traded him for Boone, but he turned out to be nothing special.

Baseball America also considers Jose Contreras and Hideki Matsui prospects - that could be debated

I might give you Soriano since he actually played in the Yankees farm system, but Matsui and Contreras? Give me a break.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Actually...not really.

I might give you Soriano since he actually played in the Yankees farm system, but Matsui and Contreras? Give me a break.

Might? How many yrs, in your opinion, do you have to play in the minors for the team to be considered a prospect?

I'm just relaying what Baseball America said about Jose and Hideki. Like I said, it certainly could be debated. Not saying I agree with them, but thats what they said.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:57 pm

I don't know enough about Soriano's past. I know he was big in Japan and that's where the Yankees scouted him from.

Regardless, that's one example. Nick Johnson is a marginal two. There are alot of guys overhyped in the NY media, and that was my original point. We don't need a 3 page discussion on it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:03 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I don't know enough about Soriano's past. I know he was big in Japan and that's where the Yankees scouted him from.

Regardless, that's one example. Nick Johnson is a marginal two. There are alot of guys overhyped in the NY media, and that was my original point. We don't need a 3 page discussion on it.

I understand your pt, but I'm changing my stance on this. Arent most prospects overhyped? Most of them usually do not pan out and are overvalued in their farm systems.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Apollo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:54 pm

Yes, but it happens more often in New York.

Remember the Ricky Ledee bonanza?
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers