Winter Meetings/ Yankees Needs. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Winter Meetings/ Yankees Needs.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Winter Meetings/ Yankees Needs.

Postby The Big Stick » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:24 pm

I was on MLB.com just checking out some of these guys. I think these following players can help the Yankee CF void.

Milton Bradley CF $2,500,000
Craig Monroe Has played about 33 games as a CF $400,000
Kevin Mench LF we can move Hideki Matsui to CF $345,000
Dave Roberts CF $1,350,000

I like to know what you guys think!!!! B-)
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:42 pm

I don't want Milton Bradley.
I don't want to move Matsui to CF.

If you're going to have to give up talent for Dave Roberts, you might as well just use Crosby.

I'd have moderate interest in Monroe, depending on how much you'd have to give up to get him.

I heard that the Yankees offered Damon a 3/39 contract. That's more money than I want to spend, but the perfect amount of years. If he wants more than 3 years, I wouldn't even negotiate with him.

That said, if there's no Damon, and hopefully no Pierre, it looks like Crosby will be their CF. Unless they can swing a deal for someone like Jason Michaels, which would probably be ideal, depending on what they'd have to give up for him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:53 pm

Monroe is intriguing, but like Bronx said I wouldn't want to give much up to get him. Michaels is in the same boat. I think Crosby could fill the role, so anyone beyond that would have to be either demonstrably better or at very low cost.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:50 pm

With Damon, that sounds right Bronx, more than 3 years and I wouldn't go near him. The 3 year $39M deal that was supposedly offered I don't think is all that bad. Furcal got that exact deal, and it'd be surprising if a guy like Damon, who's touted as basically one of the top FA's on the market (atleast seen as better than Furcal, which I probably disagree with), got any less than that. Now, like you said, it's more money than the Yankees should probably spend for a CF as they have more spaces to fill - but if they want him for 3 years they're probably gonna have to choke up some cash.

Did you guys hear the Yankees are going after Marte from Chicago? He'd be a decent but not great option out of the 'pen, but I'd take him as a K guy if we're giving up nothing worth talking about.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:With Damon, that sounds right Bronx, more than 3 years and I wouldn't go near him. The 3 year $39M deal that was supposedly offered I don't think is all that bad. Furcal got that exact deal, and it'd be surprising if a guy like Damon, who's touted as basically one of the top FA's on the market (atleast seen as better than Furcal, which I probably disagree with), got any less than that. Now, like you said, it's more money than the Yankees should probably spend for a CF as they have more spaces to fill - but if they want him for 3 years they're probably gonna have to choke up some cash.

Did you guys hear the Yankees are going after Marte from Chicago? He'd be a decent but not great option out of the 'pen, but I'd take him as a K guy if we're giving up nothing worth talking about.

Interesting...any word on who would be going the other way?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:02 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:With Damon, that sounds right Bronx, more than 3 years and I wouldn't go near him. The 3 year $39M deal that was supposedly offered I don't think is all that bad. Furcal got that exact deal, and it'd be surprising if a guy like Damon, who's touted as basically one of the top FA's on the market (atleast seen as better than Furcal, which I probably disagree with), got any less than that. Now, like you said, it's more money than the Yankees should probably spend for a CF as they have more spaces to fill - but if they want him for 3 years they're probably gonna have to choke up some cash.

Interesting...any word on who would be going the other way?

I would have to guess a lower-level prospect, but the source is unconfirmed on getting Marte.

Did you hear that Seattle dangled Jeremy Reed for Pavano, but the Yankees turned it down? Again, I don't have a source for that - but curious if anyone has any articles or rumor sites where it's mentioned.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Big Stick » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:21 pm

I did not here of any of the two possible trades. I did however, read on yahoo.com the yanks are looking at Lofton and Nomar wants to play for the yanks. According to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio, he would play any position even center field. If at all possible, I would try trading Sheffield to Florida for Cabrera. His a younger and cheper option. The Marlins will get plenty of value for Sheff. Just a thought it...... Just me dreaming LOL.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:29 pm

The Big Stick wrote:I did not here of any of the two possible trades. I did however, read on yahoo.com the yanks are looking at Lofton and Nomar wants to play for the yanks. According to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio, he would play any position even center field. If at all possible, I would try trading Sheffield to Florida for Cabrera. His a younger and cheper option. The Marlins will get plenty of value for Sheff. Just a thought it...... Just me dreaming LOL.

I would take Nomar for a one year contract. Much cheaper than Damon and could have a pretty high upside.
That Reed for Pavano trade mentioned by Money is interesting. Yanks must have faith in Pavano to turn down Reed. That or they don't think Reed has much potential. I would do it just to get Pavano out of town since he claims he is so miserable, but only if we could get a reliever thrown in as well.
I've got nothing against Pavano and hope that he does well this year, but I also wouldn't mind replacing him in the rotation with Chacon or Small.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:42 pm

luckygehrig wrote:
The Big Stick wrote:I did not here of any of the two possible trades. I did however, read on yahoo.com the yanks are looking at Lofton and Nomar wants to play for the yanks. According to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio, he would play any position even center field. If at all possible, I would try trading Sheffield to Florida for Cabrera. His a younger and cheper option. The Marlins will get plenty of value for Sheff. Just a thought it...... Just me dreaming LOL.

I would take Nomar for a one year contract. Much cheaper than Damon and could have a pretty high upside.

I don't want Nomar to man CF for us. He wasn't a very good SS and with his injury concerns and him coming off of leg injuries, I would not sign him to play the outfield unless we could get him for absolutely nothing.

That Reed for Pavano trade mentioned by Money is interesting. Yanks must have faith in Pavano to turn down Reed. That or they don't think Reed has much potential. I would do it just to get Pavano out of town since he claims he is so miserable, but only if we could get a reliever thrown in as well.

I'm dissappointed that they turned that down. If Seattle was taking on Pavano's entire contract, I would have made that deal in a heartbeat. They could have dumped that atrocious deal and gotten a young CF who plays tremendous defense in the process. Bad job if they turned that deal down.

I've got nothing against Pavano and hope that he does well this year, but I also wouldn't mind replacing him in the rotation with Chacon or Small.

Chacon will already be in the rotation this year.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:49 pm

The bullpen needs to be first and foremost. Cashman has already **** the bed on that this offseason and he'd better do something, and do it fast. This pen is just awful; its utterly disgraceful and they're going no where with what they've got :-t
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to New York Yankees