Civilization IV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Civilization IV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Civilization IV

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:51 pm

I picked up a copy yesterday... Played it for 2 hours but it seems so complex compared to Civ 2... Never played Civ 3 BTW.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:03 pm

Haven't got it yet, although I plan to.

Every review I've seen about it has given it top marks!

I guess that as each one builds on the previous version, it probably does seem complicated going from Civ2 to Civ4. Anyway, here's to many wasted hours trying to build my empire!! :-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:21 pm

Yoda, it's really just a refinement of Civ3 but if you never played Civ3 I understand what you feel like. I played Civ2 for a long time and got Civ3 the day it came out. When I first started playing it I was like WTF? }:-) It is a lot more complex but after a couple of games it will seem like nothing. You may want to check out CivFanatics.com. They have a lot of tutorials. Most are still for Civ3 but a lot of the theories are still the same. You can ask any question here too. We have a few Civ players here. I'm sure one of us can come up with the answer. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:37 pm

CIV IV...i might just get it this week. :-?

i like CIV III a lot. one of my favourite games for PC. many times i have said...just one more turn. :-b
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:19 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yoda, it's really just a refinement of Civ3 but if you never played Civ3 I understand what you feel like. I played Civ2 for a long time and got Civ3 the day it came out. When I first started playing it I was like WTF? }:-) It is a lot more complex but after a couple of games it will seem like nothing. You may want to check out CivFanatics.com. They have a lot of tutorials. Most are still for Civ3 but a lot of the theories are still the same. You can ask any question here too. We have a few Civ players here. I'm sure one of us can come up with the answer. ;-D

Thanks... I know Civ 2 like the back of my hand. I can pick it up today and still know exactly what to do.

Civ 4, there are so many icons, units and seemingly random things on the screen I get so confused... :-S

I'll check out the forum you mentioned. Do you think the published guides are worth the money? I usually find those to be too basic.

Also have you played multiplayer? My friend has a copy and once I get up to speed we'll try it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:21 pm

No I don't have any experience with multiplayer.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:40 pm

I got it and have been pretty addicted.

One thing I don't understand is that it runs relatively slowly on my PC, which is less than a year old and has a great video card. I only have 512 mb of RAM, could that be what is slowing down my performance?

Otherwise, it's awesome. I love it and although it's a little overwhelming at first, I picked up on it real quick because it's not very different from other Civ games. It's actually a little easier to control hunger and happiness in your cities, especially with the Civics and Religions added.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:00 pm

Coppermine wrote:I got it and have been pretty addicted.

One thing I don't understand is that it runs relatively slowly on my PC, which is less than a year old and has a great video card. I only have 512 mb of RAM, could that be what is slowing down my performance?

Otherwise, it's awesome. I love it and although it's a little overwhelming at first, I picked up on it real quick because it's not very different from other Civ games. It's actually a little easier to control hunger and happiness in your cities, especially with the Civics and Religions added.

It's definitely your RAM. I heard this game uses up a lot of resources.

Maybe I just need to get used to but it doesn't seem like a Civ game when compared to Civ 2.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Yoda wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I got it and have been pretty addicted.

It's definitely your RAM. I heard this game uses up a lot of resources.

Maybe I just need to get used to but it doesn't seem like a Civ game when compared to Civ 2.

I thought Civ2 and Civ3 were quite different from each other though, and that Civ4 more closely resembles Civ3... a game I played until sunrise on some occassions.

I was up until just 4 am Saturday morning playing Civ4, so that is an improvement.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:10 pm

Yeah Civ4 is a RAM whore. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk