Reggie Bush HS highlight reel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Reggie Bush HS highlight reel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sooner711 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:10 pm

There's a reason they aren't giving Bush the goal line carries, Peterson is much better at the goal line...Bush has more speed, Peterson more power.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:13 pm

bceagles04 wrote:I kind of thought that we were talking about pro careers as well when someone mentioned that Bush is the next Sayers/Sanders...but maybe that was me.

If we are talking college. Then Ricky Williams and Ron Dayne are both at or above Peterson and nipping at Bush's heels.

But lets talk pros for a second. I think that Peterson will actually CLOSE the gap in the pros. He is a bigger, sturdier runner. Bush weighs much less (205?) and I think wuold be much mroe succeptabl to injury. Plus, Bush w/o added muscle and weight is kind of a misfit...he could play WR as well...w/e...lets just stop the arguing...who cares if someone thinks that someone is better.

This is OPINION BASED. No one is right or wrong. Sure stats dont lie...but it is how we interpret them that shape our opinion...and stats can be shaped many ways.

anyone like my Bush: LT as Peterson: Shaun Alexander?

Peterson is much faster than Alexander. Rivals.com has him listed as a 4.4 second 40 time. That is unheard of for a guy who is 6'2" and about 220. Rivals also has Bush listed as 4.4 seconds on the 40. Just food for thought.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:18 pm

slomo007 wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:I kind of thought that we were talking about pro careers as well when someone mentioned that Bush is the next Sayers/Sanders...but maybe that was me.

If we are talking college. Then Ricky Williams and Ron Dayne are both at or above Peterson and nipping at Bush's heels.

But lets talk pros for a second. I think that Peterson will actually CLOSE the gap in the pros. He is a bigger, sturdier runner. Bush weighs much less (205?) and I think wuold be much mroe succeptabl to injury. Plus, Bush w/o added muscle and weight is kind of a misfit...he could play WR as well...w/e...lets just stop the arguing...who cares if someone thinks that someone is better.

This is OPINION BASED. No one is right or wrong. Sure stats dont lie...but it is how we interpret them that shape our opinion...and stats can be shaped many ways.

anyone like my Bush: LT as Peterson: Shaun Alexander?

Peterson is much faster than Alexander. Rivals.com has him listed as a 4.4 second 40 time. That is unheard of for a guy who is 6'2" and about 220. Rivals also has Bush listed as 4.4 seconds on the 40. Just food for thought.

now their is an interesting stat!

Nonetheless...Bush PLAYS faster.

BUt ya...I think Peterson compares well with Bush!
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:26 pm

I still want to hear why Slomo thinks Texas is more talented...he completely shrugged off that post.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:28 pm

Did a little more digging on Alexander. He said in an interview that he hoped to run a 4.48 second 40 for the NFL combine during his rookie season. I found another page that said his best college 40 time is 4.58. He is actually not that fast. Not to take anything away from him because he is still a great runner. All I'm saying is that we haven't seen the size/speed combo of Peterson in a long, long time.

The only recent player with that kind of size and speed that I can think of off the top of my head was David Boston back a few years ago when he was actually good (or on steroids). He was 6'2" 243 and capable of running a 4.3-4.4. That is obviously very impressive. Too bad it looks to have been attained through steroids or some other fashion. Either that or he just hasn't realized potential.

I might be forgetting some guys, feel free to throw out some other names. It's kind of tough to find 40 times, and many could be not accurate. Rivals.com is one of the few sites which is =typically accurate though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:29 pm

davidmarver wrote:I still want to hear why Slomo thinks Texas is more talented...he completely shrugged off that post.

If you think I will spend my night defending Texas then you are in for quite a surprise. Texas fans will have no problem defending my statement. I will not give them the satisfaction of bragging their team. Apparently you have a lot to learn about the OU/TX rivalry. I respect them, but will not encourage them. :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:02 am

I used Sanders and Sayers as comparisons to styles not careers.

I don't believe the Peterson 4.4, as well as Bush's 4.28...40 times in college are never accurate. They always go up by a full second or two when they get to the NFL combine.

As to those saying Bush' size is a problem, I laugh. Let's look at Barry Sanders he was a munchkin and was probably the best ever, if not he is damn near close. Bush has just as much shiftiness and a lot more power than Sanders.

Peterson is bigger, but look at a guy like Ron Dayne, he was big and didn't do crap in the NFL. Rashaan Salaam, same thing.

The one thing is talent and football ability and Bush has talent that is very very rare. He can do things only a few in the entire history of football are capable of doing. That's my .02 cents if we are discussing the NFL. Now that I think of it, he is almost identical to Marshall Faulk size wise.

I still think he is the best RB ever in CFB history. I haven't seen many, but I have spoken with numerous people who are 2-3 generations older than myself, who always say how the "old school" players were better this and that, have said Bush is the best they have ever seen.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:06 am

Well when I saw this thread I expected it to be about Reggie Bush not being a great NFL RB...didn't really expect a AD/Bush argument but I'll get in on it anyway.
As far as college goes I have to give the edge to Bush. Besides being a great rusher he can catch very well out of the backfield and can return punts. AD is great and it is slightly unfair to compare him as a soph to Reggie as a junior but it's all we can do.

Also judging these players by stats is not accurate at all. I don't think anyone can say USC didn't have superior talent compared to OU. Add in the fact that AD was injured this year. It's like people telling me Alexander is the 2nd best RB in football. If I was starting a team he would not be me 2nd choice at RB, sorry he's just not that talented although he his a good RB and still top 5. That's for another debate though.

Jugding NFL wise I give the edge to AD. Although being 6'2" may even be a slight disadvantage as taller backs seem to have more injury problems he has proven that he has the ability to rush 30 times a game and between the tackles. Reggie Bush is not going to be able to make NFL players look like they did on this highlight reel or even what he's done this year. He's undersized at 6'0 200...and until he proves to me that he can carry the ball more than 20 times a game I have a hard time putting him in another tier ahead of AD like many are saying. If I were and NFL team it really would depend on what type of scheme I would be running but don't think Bush is just going to tear up the NFL like he has CF because it's not going to happen.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:42 am

Obviously the only way a one-sided arguement like this could be had would be over on the baseball side.

I can't even believe that Adrian Peterson was compared to Ron Dayne in this thread, that is the single stupidest comparison I have ever heard in football. Peterson is a virtual lock to go in the top 3 next year and value wise, he is head and shoulders above any other player in his class.

I don't know if you guys realise this, but Reggie Bush plays in the Pac-10, or the Pac-1 as it should be more accurately referred to as. No team in this entire conference has any semblance of a defence and even though the Big 12 is no SEC there are still a bunch of solid defensive teams.

Oh and by the way, everyone should stop using Barry Sanders comparisons when it comes to smaller backs that aren't effective running between the tackles. Every year some overrated small back that doesn't run with power comes in and people knock on them about their size, and everyone and their grandmother says "Tell Barry Sanders that size doesn't matter." I am still waiting for one of these running backs to live up to 1/10th of the legacy Barry left behind.

I am not saying Bush isn't an elite talent, he is the #1 player on my draft board (assuming I don't have a stud RB already and a need at OT or QB) but anyone who thinks he is head and shoulders above Peterson either does not know anything about football or is deluding themselves. I think that people are really starting to buy into the hype and when I hear things like "next Gale Sayers" or "best college RB ever" it makes me wonder if people simply forget about the dominant things people before them have done.

BTW, there is a thread about this on the football side. You can find me arguing as Canadian_Cheesehead. Always good to have more people to argue about what casual football fans would consider to be a landslide win in Bush's favour.
2nd in the Baseball Leg of the Cafe Challenge.
CC Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:44 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I think Peterson will be a better NFL back than Bush. Sure Bush has the moves but how often do you see someone pulling out fancy moves in the league. They simply aren't as effective in the NFL as they are in college (exceptions: Sanders and Sayers). Unless you think Bush is on the level of the two great backs that I just mentionned (many think he is) he will not be dangling every single player in the NFL. UCLA is one of the worst rush defenses in college football and Fresno St. is no Alabama either. Let's see if he is juking Texas defenders out of their jockstraps and then anoint him the "next big thing."

Yes, he is a fantastic RB and will be good in the NFL.
No, he is not a lock for the Hall of Fame like some people are making him out to be. Prepare to see the most overvalued rookie in fantasy football history next year.

I just saw Peterson being compared to Alexander. I almost vomitted in my mouth.
2nd in the Baseball Leg of the Cafe Challenge.
CC Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk