Grudz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Grudz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:19 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Arizona said they wouldn't pay any of Vaz's salary so that isn't going to happen.

Argh. :-[ Are the Yankees no long picking up any of his contract? Or did they send enough cash/players back to ARI in the deal that there was no need to eat any of it? :-?

Either way, an opening day rotation of Carpenter, Mulder, Suppan, Reyes, Maquis isn't that bad. They need to really start looking at the pen now IMO since King, Tavarez (I'm assuming?), and Eldred are gone are gone and it wasn't all that hot down the stretch with those guys. OTOH looking at the pitching market so far this offseason I'm not sure I want them making any moves afterall. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:45 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Arizona said they wouldn't pay any of Vaz's salary so that isn't going to happen.

Argh. :-[ Are the Yankees no long picking up any of his contract? Or did they send enough cash/players back to ARI in the deal that there was no need to eat any of it? :-?

Either way, an opening day rotation of Carpenter, Mulder, Suppan, Reyes, Maquis isn't that bad. They need to really start looking at the pen now IMO since King, Tavarez (I'm assuming?), and Eldred are gone are gone and it wasn't all that hot down the stretch with those guys. OTOH looking at the pitching market so far this offseason I'm not sure I want them making any moves afterall. :-o

the yankees sent cash, but apparently it wasnt specifically tied to vazquez. the d-back are doing everything they can to keep that cash but i think they are going to have to eat some of the contract, take back a bad contract, or send out a cheap player in addition to vazquez if they are serious about trading him. even in a crazy market there shouldnt be many suitors for him at 2 years 24 million remaining.

tavarez is gone. not offered arby. they were interested in bringing him back as a 6th-7th inning guy but not as a setup man. i have no idea what they are going to do for relievers but i hear they are trying to get looper on the cheap side. let him rebuild value as a setup man on a one year deal. most of the free agent relievers dont impress me much. i was hoping that if we signed a starting pitcher and traded marquis we would somehow get a reliever in addition to a position player.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:34 pm

Just heard Walt on the radio and he said the 2B job is Luna's unless someone blows them away in Spring Training. He also said the bullpen was the priority.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:37 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:the yankees sent cash, but apparently it wasnt specifically tied to vazquez. the d-back are doing everything they can to keep that cash but i think they are going to have to eat some of the contract, take back a bad contract, or send out a cheap player in addition to vazquez if they are serious about trading him. even in a crazy market there shouldnt be many suitors for him at 2 years 24 million remaining.

Thanks for the clarification. ;-D As much as I think he'd be a good fit there's no way he's worth $12mil/year. :-o

j_d_mcnugent wrote:tavarez is gone. not offered arby. they were interested in bringing him back as a 6th-7th inning guy but not as a setup man. i have no idea what they are going to do for relievers but i hear they are trying to get looper on the cheap side. let him rebuild value as a setup man on a one year deal. most of the free agent relievers dont impress me much. i was hoping that if we signed a starting pitcher and traded marquis we would somehow get a reliever in addition to a position player.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really losing much sleep over the guys they lost in the pen given the way '05 ended and I always thought that they were all pitching over their collective heads in '04. What I am worried about is who they're going to get to fill the pen. Like you said the FA market for RP isn't strong and it's been completely thrown out of whack by the Blue Jays and Mets.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lostraven » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:50 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Just heard Walt on the radio and he said the 2B job is Luna's unless someone blows them away in Spring Training. He also said the bullpen was the priority.

*rolls eyes* Luna? The starting 2B? Is that some "Ha ha, funny!"
kind of joke? The Cards' can do better than that. Luna is ok as
a reserve, but starting 2B? I'll wait till spring training to see, thanks.

-ShawnD
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:23 pm

I agree that Luna isn't the greatest of options, but given how the last two years whoever they stick out there seems to have a huge bounce-back year, this may be the chance Luna needs. :-B
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:44 am

Tavarez is someone we definitely didn't need. I'm worried most about the loss of Eldred.

We'd seriously better start making some deals to fill the bullpen, or else we'll be sunk come April.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:41 pm

i am fine with luna at 2b. i think he can exceed nunez's numbers from last year. what i wouldnt be fine with is having luna at 2b, and taguchi & j.rod starting in the corners. we save money with luna, i hope we can get one good outfielder now.

crazy idea time--nomar on an incentive laden deal. mostly playing LF but can back up 3b if rolen has more problems as well as SS and maybe 2b. obviously health is a huge concern but i'd rather roll the dice on nomar than on jacque jones. would give tony plenty of options. wouldnt be the first time we give a one year deal to an ex cub with an injury history hoping to rebuild his value.

cards are expected to sign ricardo rincon. i guess that takes care of the left handers in the bullpen. they still need a legit 8th inning guy.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Grenade Teeth » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:21 pm

Nomar would be nice. I fully expect WJ to land a corner outfielder. Luna is probably are 2B for a 100 games.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to St. Louis Cardinals