Abreu Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Abreu Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Cow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:52 pm

I can see why the Phils would trade Abreu. They need pitching and they may be scared of Abreu's ugly second half numbers. I mean how can a guy hit the way he did before the all star break and then put on a display for the ages in the home run derby and then go out and stink up the joint in the second half??????? What happened to the power??? Is it age or just a slump? I can see why they would trade him while his value is high. I can also see why teams would want him. It just depends on how you think his career is going to go from here.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:12 pm

XM Radio is reporting that a deal may be in the works that Abreu, it could be close...
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:57 am

Mookie4ever wrote:What does Abreu make?

The Jays could take on more salary and give up Batista and a good pitching prospect like Brandon League.

Mookie,

I don't see the Phils trading for Batista and League. They are looking for a number 1 or 2 starter coming back their way. The Phils are committed to Abreu to the tune of about 30 mil over the next 2 years.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:54 am

The Cow wrote:I can see why the Phils would trade Abreu. They need pitching and they may be scared of Abreu's ugly second half numbers. I mean how can a guy hit the way he did before the all star break and then put on a display for the ages in the home run derby and then go out and stink up the joint in the second half??????? What happened to the power??? Is it age or just a slump? I can see why they would trade him while his value is high. I can also see why teams would want him. It just depends on how you think his career is going to go from here.
Not only that but I think his 5/10 no-trade option goes into effect after next year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:56 am

Music2004Man wrote:I don't see the Phils trading for Batista and League. They are looking for a number 1 or 2 starter coming back their way. The Phils are committed to Abreu to the tune of about 30 mil over the next 2 years.
With that kind of salary owed the Phils aren't going to be able to get a #1 or 2 starter.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:38 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:I don't see the Phils trading for Batista and League. They are looking for a number 1 or 2 starter coming back their way. The Phils are committed to Abreu to the tune of about 30 mil over the next 2 years.
With that kind of salary owed the Phils aren't going to be able to get a #1 or 2 starter.

True - Batista can be an adequate closer or a possibly a #2 or #3 starter but his salary is almost $5M for next year. League though is a top flight prospect. He's 22 yr old groomed to be a closer with the stuff to do the job. League and McGowan are the two best pitching prospects in the Jays' system.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:38 am

Abreu could end up with the Dodgers. http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13345026.htm
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:43 am

thedude wrote:Abreu could end up with the Dodgers. http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13345026.htm
That would be a fantasy baseball disaster. Abreu in LA, Penny and Lowe in Philly. :-o
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers