Abreu Rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Abreu Rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:32 pm

The only problem I see is that Abreu has some problems with being lazy/heartless from time to time. Also, Abreu and Ortiz are both lefties, so late in close games a team could just bring in a lefty reliever quite easily. However, if the team could get Abreu to play hard and be OK in clutch situations, then they'd just need a half-deent righty bat to put in there (maybe Tek, though he's a switch-hitter, or maybe they keep Manny.....)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:49 pm

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:ive heard bobby a for schmidt, but in the mercury news sabean was all like "that is not a possibility right now"

When was that in the paper? I must have missed it. Personally I would be happy with that deal except for the fact that the front of our rotation would be really thin unless Cain pitched out of his mind

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:52 pm

As much as I'd love to land Abreu, I'm not sure at the cost of Clement/Nixon/Shoppach. They'd need to get some form of pitching back if they're going to lose Clement, although one of Papelbon-Arroyo is going to the pen anyways, if Arroyo isn't used to get a 1B.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:02 pm

nsulham wrote:As much as I'd love to land Abreu, I'm not sure at the cost of Clement/Nixon/Shoppach. They'd need to get some form of pitching back if they're going to lose Clement, although one of Papelbon-Arroyo is going to the pen anyways, if Arroyo isn't used to get a 1B.

You gotta be kidding me... Adding a bat of Abreu's caliber while losing an overrated Clement, an overpaid Nixon, and a very nice prospect...

Sox win in a land slide if this happens.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:15 pm

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:
nsulham wrote:As much as I'd love to land Abreu, I'm not sure at the cost of Clement/Nixon/Shoppach. They'd need to get some form of pitching back if they're going to lose Clement, although one of Papelbon-Arroyo is going to the pen anyways, if Arroyo isn't used to get a 1B.

You gotta be kidding me... Adding a bat of Abreu's caliber while losing an overrated Clement, an overpaid Nixon, and a very nice prospect...

Sox win in a land slide if this happens.

I think you misunderstood me. Yes I'd love getting Abreu and I'm not saying that package isn't good enough. What I'm saying is we've all seen that pitching is what wins today and by losing Clement they lose another starter for a guy, even though he's studly as he is, in Abreu that they don't have a need for, especially with Manny not gone, which he isn't yet.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:26 pm

The Philadelphia Daily News says the Phillies asked for Mark Prior when discussing Bobby Abreu with the Cubs yesterday and weren't dismissed outright.

They probably will be. Abreu is great, but the Cubs won't be dealing Prior, and even if they were open to the possibility, they wouldn't do it for an outfielder making more than $15 million per year. Maybe the Cubs will be interested in a lesser price. The Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays and Astros are also looking at Abreu, but the Orioles won't part with Erik Bedard and the Jays may have to lose interest if they get A.J. Burnett. There's been speculation that the Astros could offer Brandon Backe and Chad Qualls, but that'd be a huge salary for them to take on when they still don't know about Roger Clemens and Jeff Bagwell. Dec. 6 - 3:57 am et

-rotoworld.com
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13338004.htm
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 73)

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Wow, I would love the Phils to get Prior for Abreu. It's definitely superstar for superstar. The Cubs could fill the hole in the rotation with Hill or another of their young promising pitchers. DLee, Abreu and ARam would be an awesome 3-5.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BritSox » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:34 pm

The talent compares but the salaries don't.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:53 pm

What does Abreu make?

The Jays could take on more salary and give up Batista and a good pitching prospect like Brandon League.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby stevethumb » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:32 pm

$13m in 06....$15m in 07...club option for $16m in 08 w/$2m buyout...committed to $30m then
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers