Paul Byrd signs w/ tribe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Paul Byrd signs w/ tribe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:50 pm

I don't think the signing is too terrible. Even the World Series champ came from the AL Central, it's not an overly tough division. Solid starting rotation led by Sabathia and a strong bullpen (if Hoffman somehow glides on over to the Indians, or even if he doesn't) could vault the Indians into the post-season. Go Tribe!
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Cow » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Well I am not exactly excited about this deal because of Byrd's HUGE injury risk. If healthy it is a good signing. Byrd can post numbers similar to Millwoods if healthy. Byrd will slot in at the #4 spot in the rotation. This signing does fill a huge hole. now with C.C., Lee, Westbrook and Byrd as their top 4 SPs. The Tribe's SP looks pretty solid. Throw in a youngster at #5 and the Tribe's rotation is set. The Tribe does have some young SP that can fill the #5 or even #6 SP if you will providing someone gets injured. !$14 mil for Byrd is alot, but the Tribe was almost shut out of the SP derby last year. I don't think the Tribe was willing to gamble that a quality SP could be had for relatively cheap like Millwood next year. I would much rather have Byrd for 2 years than waste money on Millwood or Burnett for 5 or 6 years as both will likely command huge dollars and both are significant injury risks. The 2 year deal means that the Tribe will not waste money and lock up payroll for 5 or 6 years. As you have all noticed average SP in the FA market still command big dollars. If you want one you had better pony up some cash. I would have rather had Furcal for 3 yr 40 mil, but at least the Tribe filled a huge hole. Now we need to get Hoffman to sign, I think. I am not sold on Hoffman, but if he were to sign a 2 or 3 year deal then lets go get'em. AT least the Tribe spent some money to get a solid player.

The Cow

Tribes needs:
1. Closer
2a. RF
2b. 1B
4. #5 Sp

My wish list
1. Hank Blalock not because I think he is great. It looks like he is available and Boone just doesn't cut it.

What do you think Hank Blalock to the Tribe for pitching prospects?
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby phillibuster » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:05 pm

He's a good pitcher, but not what the indians needed IMO.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Half Massed » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:28 am

Well, it's a lot of money for Byrd, but that's what's been said about basically every signing this offseason so far, and I don't see it stopping. Thin market=big contracts for weaker players.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Apollo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:32 am

Man, I liked Byrd as an inexpensive and underrated free agent signing for the Tribe, a la Millwood and Belliard the last couple of years.

But 7 million per? That's not inexpensive. Yeesh.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Cow » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:35 am

Apollo wrote:Man, I liked Byrd as an inexpensive and underrated free agent signing for the Tribe, a la Millwood and Belliard the last couple of years.

But 7 million per? That's not inexpensive. Yeesh.

The Tribes point of view is that sure Byrd is overpayed at 7 mil per, but who else are they going to get via FA? The Tribe could make a trade for a player, but I don't think the Tribe wants to part with top prospects. This shows me that the Tribe is trying to win now which is good because once their young players get to be FA's chances are they are gone. They may sign a few but most will go. Byrd's deal will not stop them from keeping one of their own say C.C. or Lee. If they were to sign Millwood or Burnett they would not have the cash to sign a Lee, C.C., Victor, Hafner, Peralta, sizemore, Crisp etc... Byrd is a huge injury risk, so I am not crazy about the signing, but it does make some sense.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Cow » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:56 am

What bites about this signing is that the Tribe will lose a draft pick, i believe. I think they gained one by losing Howry though, I could be wrong here.
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:05 pm

slomo007 wrote:Not a great deal, but then again there are pitchers making more money than this who are far worse (Milton comes to mind).

the comparison i always use is chan ho park. :-B

when did the indians become big spenders? a bit pricey, but he should be solid for the tribe if he stays healthy. the indians are ready to win in 06.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:44 pm

Ok pitcher, stupid price.

It makes me happy to see the Braves with so many trade pieces and not have to enter this crazy free agent market.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers