ESPN - LAD get Furcal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN - LAD get Furcal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:54 am

wrveres wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:Furcal makes 13 million a year, and Pujols makes a little over 14. Makes since to me. Why pay this amount for a LEAD-OFF man? Good lord, were the other bids on Furcal this close? Did the Dodgers outbid themselves for this guy??

probably ..

I am sure they weren’t even in the picture for Furcal, so they had to do something to get him to stand up and notice.
irregardless of the price, I think it is an excellent acquisition for LA. I am not happy about him going there one bit.

I'm assuming you italicized "irregardless" because it's not a word. ;-7

Furcal is an interesting player, but I don't see this as actually solving any of the Dodgers' myriad issues.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:02 pm

Pedantic wrote:
wrveres wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:Furcal makes 13 million a year, and Pujols makes a little over 14. Makes since to me. Why pay this amount for a LEAD-OFF man? Good lord, were the other bids on Furcal this close? Did the Dodgers outbid themselves for this guy??

probably ..

I am sure they weren’t even in the picture for Furcal, so they had to do something to get him to stand up and notice.
irregardless of the price, I think it is an excellent acquisition for LA. I am not happy about him going there one bit.

I'm assuming you italicized "irregardless" because it's not a word. ;-7

Furcal is an interesting player, but I don't see this as actually solving any of the Dodgers' myriad issues.

Yea, it's not supposed too. Wrveres is a Padres fan, so I'm sure he'd think it was an excellent acquisition for LAD to acquire and declare Shawn Estes as their undisputed ace.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:14 am

I'm suprised that everyone is shocked at what Furcal is getting. The way the Yankees sign players everyone else has to spend way more than what a player is worth. Furcal is not a $13 Mill type of player. But is Farnsworth worth 6mill to be a RP? Heck no. But thats what the Yankees spending has done for baseball. Furcal was the best SS available. With whats happening in baseball for a team like the LAD have a shot at signing Furcal they have to overspend. Look at how much they overpaid for Drew. Teams have no choice anymore because money is what talks nowadays. Winning is second, most of the time. Every player/agent knows what the Yankees pay for players they want and now every player wants that pay for themselves from every team. Baseball is trying it's best to ruin itself. It's working to IMO.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:20 am

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:I'm suprised that everyone is shocked at what Furcal is getting. The way the Yankees sign players everyone else has to spend way more than what a player is worth. Furcal is not a $13 Mill type of player. But is Farnsworth worth 6mill to be a RP? Heck no. But thats what the Yankees spending has done for baseball. Furcal was the best SS available. With whats happening in baseball for a team like the LAD have a shot at signing Furcal they have to overspend. Look at how much they overpaid for Drew. Teams have no choice anymore because money is what talks nowadays. Winning is second, most of the time. Every player/agent knows what the Yankees pay for players they want and now every player wants that pay for themselves from every team. Baseball is trying it's best to ruin itself. It's working to IMO.

Yeah, let's all blame the Yankees.

Let's not mention the fact that the Yankees have no got in on any big FAs this year. Let's ignore the fact that BJ Ryan got the richest total dollar amount for any RP in history from the Blue Jays. Let's forget that Billy Wagner followed suit with a $40 million dollar deal of his own from the Mets. Let's forget that the White Sox paid $60 million to bring Konerko back, from the Angels, who offered $65 million. Let's not mention the ability of the Mets to absorb a very expensive contract in Carlos Delgado, in order to bring him to New York. Let's also not talk about the fact that Furcal was not offered ANYTHING CLOSE to what LA offered for him. His next best offer was for $10 per year. LA outbid themselves for him. They didn't 'need' to pay that for him because that's what he was worth. Let's leave out Tom Gordon's 3 year, $18 million dollar contract to an overworked 38 year old.

No, let's talk about Kyle Farnsworth and his $6 million dollar deal. Jesus, will you guys give it a rest? I understand the Yankees have screwed with the market in past years, but to blame the Yankees for the Dodgers throwing $13 million per year at Furcal? Give me a break. :-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:30 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Jack-In-A-Box wrote:I'm suprised that everyone is shocked at what Furcal is getting. The way the Yankees sign players everyone else has to spend way more than what a player is worth. Furcal is not a $13 Mill type of player. But is Farnsworth worth 6mill to be a RP? Heck no. But thats what the Yankees spending has done for baseball. Furcal was the best SS available. With whats happening in baseball for a team like the LAD have a shot at signing Furcal they have to overspend. Look at how much they overpaid for Drew. Teams have no choice anymore because money is what talks nowadays. Winning is second, most of the time. Every player/agent knows what the Yankees pay for players they want and now every player wants that pay for themselves from every team. Baseball is trying it's best to ruin itself. It's working to IMO.

Yeah, let's all blame the Yankees.

Let's not mention the fact that the Yankees have no got in on any big FAs this year. Let's ignore the fact that BJ Ryan got the richest total dollar amount for any RP in history from the Blue Jays. Let's forget that Billy Wagner followed suit with a $40 million dollar deal of his own from the Mets. Let's forget that the White Sox paid $60 million to bring Konerko back, from the Angels, who offered $65 million. Let's not mention the ability of the Mets to absorb a very expensive contract in Carlos Delgado, in order to bring him to New York. Let's also not talk about the fact that Furcal was not offered ANYTHING CLOSE to what LA offered for him. His next best offer was for $10 per year. LA outbid themselves for him. They didn't 'need' to pay that for him because that's what he was worth. Let's leave out Tom Gordon's 3 year, $18 million dollar contract to an overworked 38 year old.

No, let's talk about Kyle Farnsworth and his $6 million dollar deal. Jesus, will you guys give it a rest? I understand the Yankees have screwed with the market in past years, but to blame the Yankees for the Dodgers throwing $13 million per year at Furcal? Give me a break. :-t

Right Bronx. Denial is the word of the day for a Yankee fan. Are you kidding me that you don't think the Yankees have anything to do with why baseball is jacked up? Yeah, Ryan signed the richest RP contract in history. Why? Because a team like TOR has no shot at him because the Yankees would spend that much to make him a reliever like they wanted all along. 20 Mill for Jeter. What do you expect Furcal wants? The Yankees didnt screw the market up in past years.. they screwed it up for the future of baseball. INCLUDING these outrageous contracts signed this year. Only a Yankee fan would disagree beacuse you are a Yankee fan and won't agree that baseball is forever changed because of how the Yankees spend money.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:46 am

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:Right Bronx. Denial is the word of the day for a Yankee fan. Are you kidding me that you don't think the Yankees have anything to do with why baseball is jacked up?

I never said that. I just find it ridiculous that you find a way to blame the Yankees for Rafael Furcal getting $13 million from the Dodgers, citing KYLE FARNSWORTH as your exmple.

Yeah, Ryan signed the richest RP contract in history. Why? Because a team like TOR has no shot at him because the Yankees would spend that much to make him a reliever like they wanted all along.

Do you have evidence that the Yankees would spend that much on Ryan? Obviously you don't, because it doesn't exist. In fact, every report and indication from the Ryan camp and the Yankees camp is that Ryan had no intention or interest in being a middle reliever/setup man in New York. He wanted to close. The Yankees WERE NOT Toronto's main competition in the Ryan sweepstakes. If you believe that they were, you are sadly mistaken.

20 Mill for Jeter. What do you expect Furcal wants?

This is just a stupid statement. Derek Jeter signed that deal before the 2001 season. In case your memory is a litte foggy, let me remind you of some other deals that were signed in that offseason...Alex Rodriguez ($25 million), Manny Ramirez ($20+ million), Mike Mussina ($19 million), Chan Ho Park (something ridiculous) and SEVERAL more. The market exploded in that offseason with the incredible A-Rod deal. That was the going rate for premeir players then. The market has changed. Comparing then to now is a moronic idea.

The Yankees didnt screw the market up in past years.. they screwed it up for the future of baseball. INCLUDING these outrageous contracts signed this year. Only a Yankee fan would disagree beacuse you are a Yankee fan and won't agree that baseball is forever changed because of how the Yankees spend money.

When did I say baseball has not been changed by it? In fact, I said that they had affected the market in past year. But guess what? The market changes. That's why Albert Pujols and Vlad Guerrero didn't get $25 million dollar deals like A-Rod, even though they are every bit as good. Thats' why Vlad got $14 and Pujols around the same.

Because the Yankees paid Derek Jeter $20 million 5 years ago, has little to no bearing on the Dodgers paying Furcal $13 million this year. It's ridiculous to assume so. Now, I'm not saying the Yankees have never and don't ever set the market, but look at some of the recent acquisitions. The market values have been set by many other teams in the past, and the Yankees have just followed suit. That's what happened with Farnsworth this year. Ryan got a mega-deal, and Wagner and Gordon followed with bloated contracts. Did you expect Farnsworth to ask for nothing? Obviously not. Every reliever will get overpaid this offseason. Just like most starters got overpaid last season as a result of the Mets giving Kris Benson a big deal at the beginning of the offseason.

Blaming Furcal's big deal on the Yankees' signing of Kyle Farnsworth is pathetic. I think you're just mad that the Dodgers offered that deal up, and Furcal left the Braves. IT'S NOT THE YANKEES FAULT THAT THE DODGERS OUTBID THEMSELVES FOR RAFAEL FURCAL. The Yankees deserve alot of blame for alot of things...worrying about Atlanta's precious shortstop isn't one of them.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers