Our Northern Brethren Are At It Again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Our Northern Brethren Are At It Again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Our Northern Brethren Are At It Again

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 pm

CNN.com wrote:Report: Canada testing device that alerts drivers whenever the exceed speed limits.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Canadian auto regulators are testing a system that would enforce speed limits by making it harder to push down the car's gas pedal once the speed limit is passed, according to a newspaper report.

The system being tested by Transport Canada, the Canadian equivalent of the U.S. Department of Transportation, uses a global positioning satellite device installed in the car to monitor the car's speed and position. If the car begins to significantly exceed the speed limit for the road on which it's travelling the system responds by making it harder to depress the gas pedal, according to a story posted on the Toronto Globe and Mail's Website.

The pilot test, using 10 cars driven by volunteers, is believed to be the first in North America, although similar systems have been tested in several European countries, according to the newspaper.

The agency is also testing another system that warns drivers with a voice alarm and a light whenever they start to speed, the newspaper said. Those systems are already on sale, according to the report. The company that makes the alarm device, the Otto Driving Companion, has already sold 400 of the units in Winnipeg alone, the newspaper said.

I'm waiting for the first lawsuit after an old lady is plowed because this thing malfunctions and prevents her from being able to accelerate at a highway merge.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:48 pm

Yeah, this doesn't seem to be the bestest of ideas... I think it'll cause more problems than it'll prevent.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:49 pm

those wacky cananadians
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:07 pm

What's next? Instant speeding tickets via satellite?

Put me down as against this idea. Could cause problems, and the government doesn't need to be monitoring how fast I'm driving. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:40 am

voice alarm

That would be annoying as hell. THose Canadians :-t ;-)

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:53 am

It does say "significantly exceed" so depending on what that means, it might not be so bad. I mean, its not going to stop you, just make it harder. I would say if it took over for anything over 80-90 MPH, then it wouldn't be so bad. But then again, I don't drive,
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Pedantic » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:26 am

90 mph is, like, the minimum speed limit on those vast, open highways. Which constitute 99 percent of Canada's roads. Needless to say, bad idea. :-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Re: Our Northern Brethren Are At It Again

Postby WharfRat » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:42 am

CNN.com wrote:If the car begins to significantly exceed the speed limit for the road on which it's travelling the system responds by making it harder to depress the gas pedal

It actually doesn't sound that bad, if I'm interpreting this right. If by "significantly exceed" means 15-20 mph over the limit, then all they'd be doing is curtailing the reckless drivers. And it also sounds like they would account for the road. So you could go 90 on one of those high-speed expressways, but not in a suburban neighborhood. Interesting concept, and who knows, it might make driving safer.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Coppermine » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:35 pm

Pedantic wrote:90 mph is, like, the minimum speed limit on those vast, open highways. Which constitute 99 percent of Canada's roads. Needless to say, bad idea. :-D

Yeah, but the vast majority of people who live in Canada live near a large city and isn't the national speed limit 100 km/h? Last time I was there, every highway ws 100 km/h and that equals about 60 mph.

Hardly 90.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:35 am

you guys are just jealous that we won't have any more car accidents in the country. :^
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to General Talk