Jacque Jones Numbers in StL? Sea? Min? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jacque Jones Numbers in StL? Sea? Min?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jacque Jones Numbers in StL? Sea? Min?

Postby legoshoe » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:56 pm

How much will Jacques numbers fluctuate depending on what team he ends up on? Will they go substantially up if he ends up in St. Louis?

Reason I'm asking is I'm from MN and he's my favorite so I hope he doesn't go but if he does I hope it's to St. Louis for his sake. I also am prusuing him in a dynasty league with the thought of what he could do in St. Louis (I got Eckstein last offseason with a nice payoff :)

Dare we say 25 + homers?
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:14 pm

He'll make around 1-2 mill more with Stl than any other teams courting him and have the possibility to win. He'll bat at lower in the order so his number may suffer. I'd say if he hits more than 20HR it'll be gravy. Now, he just needs to work on his avg. maybe in Stl he can do that.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 137)

Postby rlee » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:20 pm

If he goes to the Cards, be prepared for him to be a platoon player with maybe So taguchi. LaRussa likes to platoon, espaecially someone like Jones who does not do well vs lefties, and he loves Taguchi. Combine this with the fact as someone has said, he;ll bat lower in the lineup, his overall fanatasy numbers will be down.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:45 pm

i'd look for him to put up a reggie sanders type season if he was in stl. he'd probably bat 6th, hit low to mid 20's in homers, 70-80 something ribbies, 10-15 steals. not bad if he can get his ba back up to the .280 range.

the platoon situation depends on who the other outfielder is. right now the only regular is edmonds. if the cards just added jones, he'd get plenty of at bats with so and john rodriguez manning the other corner. if the cards added another starting outfielder, perhaps there would be more shared duties, but i reckon jones would still get a fair number of at bats.

edit: its kind of hard to project his power numbers if he went to the cards because they will be in a new stadium. i hear they want it to play pretty neutral, but you never know until they actually start playing games.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:09 pm

I would assume that just hitting in a lineup like the Cardinals would give Jones a lot of RBI opportunities... also, since Jacque would only sit against lefties, it would just give him a game or two off per week.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby looptid » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:27 pm

The Twins, as a team, throughout Jones' tenure, have had a lot of trouble getting runners on base. Even in a platoon, only playing against right handed pitching, his RBI opportunities would increase.

Jones is a difficult player to forecast, though. His last two seasons have been below his career average. He did really struggle with the death of his father in 2004, but didn't rebound as much as I would have liked to have seen last year.

RC/27
24 - 5.31
25 - 5.24
26 - 4.81
27 - 6.36
28 - 5.66
29 - 4.43
30 - 4.63

*OPS+
24 - 96
25 - 89
26 - 96
27 - 125
28 - 106
29 - 90
30 - 99

* 100 is league average.

What you have above is the standard, pre-steriod era development curve, with players peaking around 27-28 (in Jones' case 27). He won't resign with the Twins, because now at the end of his arbitration years, and the begining of his free agent years, teams can't count on Jones as anything more than an average outfielder, but will pay him the highest salaries of his career. Teams like St. Louis are better able to pay $6 million a season for an average player than the Twins are.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers