bad beat or poor play? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

bad beat or poor play?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:31 pm

JRM4833 wrote:Bad beat. You had the best hand and an overpair. Not a terrible play on his part either though.

Agreed.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:26 am

It was a gamble on both of y'alls parts. It's not a horrible beat, but the odds were with you when you called...and certainly with you had it been a preflop all-in.
You played solid poker, though. On his part, you just CANNOT risk all of your chips with a flush draw...even the nut flush draw.

Since it's poker, this kind of stuff happens, though...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:40 am

warrick95 wrote:It was a gamble on both of y'alls parts. It's not a horrible beat, but the odds were with you when you called...and certainly with you had it been a preflop all-in.
You played solid poker, though. On his part, you just CANNOT risk all of your chips with a flush draw...even the nut flush draw.

After it's three way in a tournament and you have most of your chips in the pot preflop I think you can.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:06 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
warrick95 wrote:It was a gamble on both of y'alls parts. It's not a horrible beat, but the odds were with you when you called...and certainly with you had it been a preflop all-in.

After it's three way in a tournament and you have most of your chips in the pot preflop I think you can.

It wasn't most, it was half his stack, but that's a pretty minor difference. What matters is how much did he have left before calling the all in, and what were the blinds/antes? If he'd have been crippled by folding, then he had to chase it. If his stack is still healthy, then there was no reason to chase it other than the pot odds (a little better than 3-1 on his money on about a 43% draw), but that's still a risky play that late in a tournament.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:13 pm

i think a little of both, getting beat on the river like that is always a bad beat, but with pocket K's i would have been all-in pre flop, especially if 1st to act was already in. i'd rather him fold and win a small pot than let him limp in with A-10 suited and hit the flush or an Ace on the flop

as some said though, with only 3 left there's a good chance he'd call anyway with A-10 suited, i probably would have
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk