Please Trade Sean Casey!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please Trade Sean Casey!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:03 pm

I would absolutely hate this deal for the Pirates. :-t

Now, instead of renting has-been players for a year for a million or so and have them get hurt/quit the team/go into "operation shutdown"/beat a sausage, they are renting players we don't need for 8 million! Their needs are 3B and RF only...not 1B. If the Pirates are going to do something like this, they should be putting all their eggs in the Nomar basket right now. At least people will come to see Nomar (if he stays healthy), and he can field a position that we need a player for. Sean Casey is not going to draw more than 100 extra people IMO.

I don't care if Casey is from Pittsburgh, he's not worth that much cash AND the pitcher who won the most games for the team last year. If this goes through, the possible growth of Brad Eldred will once again be stunted, adding to the long list of young players that might have made an impact with this team if given a chance. More AAA seasoning is dumb...don't they know players don't get much better once they hit 27? Eldred is already 25. Give him a chance now or never.

Also, where does this leave Craig Wilson? Although I can't stand him, you've got to do something with him since they put in a decent chunk of change in his wallet. Trade him, play him full time at 1B/RF, or cut him...there are no other options. Yet they will continue to putz around with him and all our other half-good enough players.

Dave Williams has talent. He'd do poorly in Cinci also because of the ballpark most likely, but with a halfway decent team, he'd turn into Bronson Arroyo of '04/early '05 (did I mention the Pirates had Arroyo at one point also? :-?). I guess we just have too many young arms in the system now. Still, I'd rather see K. Wells or M. Redman go than D. Williams.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:39 pm

I agree with you on that front MB.

As for Wilson, I PM'd you a while ago, saying that Wilson would be a nice fit for the A's depending on asking price. Any chance that happens you think?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:02 pm

Can somebody show me a confirmation on this? If this has happened, I frickin love that the Red's offense is still intact and we now have money to get some pitching.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby zergeR » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:06 pm

zergeR
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:06 pm

WOW, I LOVE this deal. Casey will be missed, especially in the clubhouse and off the field. On the field, however, I will not miss him at all. Too many GIDP and not enough power from 1b.

This also means that the Dunn/Pena/Griffey/Kearns combination should remain in tact.

I hope Griffey is the one that is moved to first rather than Dunn - but I realize that will probably not happen.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:12 pm

Yeah, i frickin love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I willed this to happen I tell you!!!! Next mission, get some pitching!!!! I think we should sign Armas and trade Milton.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby ayebatter » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:19 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Yeah, i frickin love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I willed this to happen I tell you!!!! Next mission, get some pitching!!!! I think we should sign Armas and trade Milton.

looks like someone is happy :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1434)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:28 pm

Supposedly we're only going to pay 4-5 mil. of his contract...so at least it's not a total loss.

Still, it's a waste of the money they could use to upgrade the positions they REALLY need help with like 3B. Casey will not put people in the seats, and he won't be hitting too many HR's.

Well, I hope to God he stays healthy this year and sticks with his over .300 lifetime BA. If he does, then maybe Bay will have someone to drive in (assuming he'll have to hit 4th now :-P) more than once a game.

The chances of us signing Nomar/Blalock/whoever probably went out the window with this expense.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby seancasey21 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:42 pm

In my opinion the Reds new owners are setting themselves up to look good. They are getting "lame duck" and lame GM Dan O'Brien to do this bad PR move now. O'brien will get destroyed by fans on talk radio. When the new owners take over they will axe O'Brien and everybody will love them for getting rid of him.

The big problem is what will the Reds do with the money they are saving? Most Reds fans don't have a lot of confidence in the Reds to do what they should do, use it toward locking up Dunn to a LTC or find some pitching. Dave Williams is not the answer to the Reds pitching woes but he is better than several of their current P's

I will miss Casey, he's a class guy
seancasey21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:51 pm

I agree, but the Reds just became a stronger team with his trade. O'Brien is a moron for signing Homerun Milton to play at GAM and should be fired.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers