Step tournaments? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Step tournaments?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Step tournaments?

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:30 am

Calling all poker players...

Have you ever done Step tournaments online? I've just been finding out a little about them, and was wondering if you have ever played and/or strategies about playing them.

From what I gather they are kind of like a satelitte, in a SnG format, but not exactly....

So anything you know about the subject would be most appreciated. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:42 am

Step tournaments --- the buyins for these tournaments are $11+$1, $50+$5, $200+$15, $500+$35, and $1000+$65. Only the final tournament, the $1000+$65 pays out. If a user places well at a lower buyin, the player gets a non-refundable buyin to the next step. For example, at the $50+$5 step, the top two finishers (in the single-table step tournaments) get entries into the $200 step and third place gets an entry into another $50 step.

The strategy differs greatly between the initial steps and the later steps of a step tournament. At the lower steps, only the top two advance, so people tend to play fairly aggressive. However, the strategy at the 4th step (the $500 buyin) is tricky. The top 4 get an entry into the $1000 step, #5 gets a buyin to the fourth step again, and 6-8 get a buyin into the second step This does not mean that people should play overly cautiously though. In these tournaments, it is probably best to consistently win a few small pots, so your stack does not decrease too much. You want to avoid as many large confrontations as possible, and sometimes the best way to avoid large confrontations is having smaller confrontations and keeping a decent stack size. Towards the end of the the $500 buyin, people really attack the smaller stacks, so it is better to have a decent sized stack so you can cruise into the final round.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:23 am

You've really gotta get lucky to go from step 1 to step 5. Winning 5 SnGs in a row is basically unheard of, when you get to step 5 you'll be facing mostly pros who buy-in directly into the tournament, in order to prey on the small stakes players who go lucky. I tried the mini-steps on Party at one time and kept getting stuck at step 4. I do know someone who won a seat in the PPM Cruise through step tourneys.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:25 am

I've personally never tried the step tourneys, so I have very limited info about this one. I know there are two different schools of thought though.

#1. Play smart, play tight, and play your best.

#2. You've got a very small amount invested, so go for it. Play loose, play aggressive (but not stupid), and settle for nothing other than the big win.

Like I said, I haven't tried them, but whichever strategy fits your game best would probably be the way to go.

Let us know how you do should you give it a try, and Good Luck! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk