Rocco Baldelli - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rocco Baldelli

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:45 am

phillibuster wrote:Absolutely not, I wasn't all too impressed with Rocco in 2003-2004. An to be honest, his minor league stats aren't all too impressive either. 20/20 club at best in 2006...he may not even hit 20. With the injury I can see him going undrafted.

BronXBombers51 wrote:
phillibuster wrote:Agreed...my bet is he goes undrafted in most 12 teamers.

Pedantic wrote:His plate control is abysmal. I'm not very bullish on him.

Are you kidding?

A 20/20 player that will likley post a nice average with decent runs will go undrafted in 12 team leagues? I'd like to know what leagues you play in. :-°
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phillibuster » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:02 am

You just described Reggie Sanders to me...and I don't think Rocco will hit 20. Rocco also strikes out alot. I know that Reggie bounces on and off the wire throughout a season.

And I usually don't bring out the "boy I wonder what kind of league this guy plays in," or "man I'd like to get this guy into one of my leagues," until it's really warranted, but I understand the reasoning.

Maybe I should re-phrase a bit....he could have a little more value and may be worth a shot in 5x5, 6x6 leagues or more cats. But im my main points league, he is just too average in each of the categories to generate points. He doesn't steal a ton of bases, or hit a ton of Hr's. And I don't see anything in his minor league stats that suggest he will improve significantly. That being said, with his recent injury, I bet that he goes undrafted in alot of leagues.

BronXBombers51 wrote:
A 20/20 player that will likley post a nice average with decent runs will go undrafted in 12 team leagues? I'd like to know what leagues you play in. :-°
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:04 am

a 20/20 guy with an average above .280 has value in all but the shallowest of 5x5 leagues....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:05 am

phillibuster wrote:You just described Reggie Sanders to me...and I don't think Rocco will hit 20. Rocco also strikes out alot. I know that Reggie bounces on and off the wire throughout a season.

And I usually don't bring out the "boy I wonder what kind of league this guy plays in," or "man I'd like to get this guy into one of my leagues," until it's really warranted, but I understand the reasoning.

Maybe I should re-phrase a bit....he could have a little more value and may be worth a shot in 5x5, 6x6 leagues or more cats. But im my main points league, he is just too average in each of the categories to generate points. He doesn't steal a ton of bases, or hit a ton of Hr's. And I don't see anything in his minor league stats that suggest he will improve significantly. That being said, with his recent injury, I bet that he goes undrafted in alot of leagues.

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Well I don't play points leagues, so I don't know the specifics on those. Also, Reggie Sanders is also a valuable fantasy option if he's healthy. He posts well-rounded numbers. He shouldn't be on the FA list either IMO.

Rocco may not hit 20, but if he steals at least 20 and posts a good average, that's good enough to have him at least as a backup. Especially when steals are at a premium. What does his strikeouts have to do with anything? Unless you're talking about a custom league, otherwise I assume you're talking about 12 team 5x5 standard.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby phillibuster » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:07 am

And this would be considered a great year for him. In a points style league (or a league that has strikeouts as a category) Rocco's high strikeout totals will make him less attractive. He's no Juan Pierre, <50 strikeouts with possible >50 stolen bases. At best he's a decent Matt Lawton/Reggies Sanders type player.

George_Foreman wrote:a 20/20 guy with an average above .280 has value in all but the shallowest of 5x5 leagues....
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:09 am

phillibuster wrote:And this would be considered a great year for him. In a points style league Rocco's high strikeout totals will make him less attractive. He's no Juan Pierre, <50 strikeouts with possible >50 stolen bases. At best he's a decent Matt Lawton/Reggies Sanders type player.

George_Foreman wrote:a 20/20 guy with an average above .280 has value in all but the shallowest of 5x5 leagues....

Then specify that you're talking about a points league. Baldelli most definately has value in roto leagues.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby phillibuster » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 am

You're right..I could have specified a bit further. But at this time he doesn't warrant all the excitement. I didn't say I wouldn't draft him if he falls to the 20th, but with the injury history he may go undrafted. If i'm wrong...dig up this thread in June and rub it in my nose.

Maybe we could do an Icon bet, where you'd have to change yours to Pedro.

BronXBombers51 wrote:
phillibuster wrote:And this would be considered a great year for him. In a points style league Rocco's high strikeout totals will make him less attractive. He's no Juan Pierre, <50 strikeouts with possible >50 stolen bases. At best he's a decent Matt Lawton/Reggies Sanders type player.

Then specify that you're talking about a points league. Baldelli most definately has value in roto leagues.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:39 am

davidmarver wrote:I think he can, quite easily, get .300-20-20 this season. Even though he was out a season, he's still going to have progressed.

No way he's just a 4th outfielder. He'll be a steal in almost any draft.

il say .283 - 19 HR - 80 RBI - 15 sb

even then hes still your average OF. there is so much talent in the OF and so many people that will give you the same out of the OF, BUT he is worth the risk in the last few rounds, maybe he does breakout.
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:51 am

What round are you folks projecting Rocco for? I'd jump in the last 5 rounds of the draft maybe, but not going to draft him too early to pick-up a young player who's had significant injuries already in his career.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:54 am

RAmst23 wrote:What round are you folks projecting Rocco for? I'd jump in the last 5 rounds of the draft maybe, but not going to draft him too early to pick-up a young player who's had significant injuries already in his career.

I'm not expecting him to be great or anything. I just don't think he's bad enough to go undrafted in 12 teamers. He's a bench flier at worst.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers