Pirates pursuing Nomar..? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pirates pursuing Nomar..?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rlee » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:58 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Nomar is onthe Juan Gone career path.

I disagree with statement. I think that Nomar has tons more work ethic than Juan-Gon (anyone does). Just the fact that he has said that he is willing to switch positions ... multiple positions in fact ... demonstrates that he is thinking about fitting in as a team player. I don't know how much Nomar has left in the tank, but if someone can snag him for 2-3 million and load it with incentives, I think it's a tremendous upside risk. O:-)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby soxfan364 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:58 pm

Well if you look at the health factor Nomar is on the Juan Gone, Ken Griffey track. But who knows, maybe he rebounds. And you're right, he does have a better work ethic. But he also seems to be turning into Mr. Glass.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby AmishRakeFight2005 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:36 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Nice signature Amish...glad to see that someone could make it for you.

I am personally hoping Nomar signs with Boston again but having Nomar at third and Jack Wilson at SS wouldnt be too bad of a combo for Pitt.

Thanks, its a pretty sweet sig.

Nomo Nomar in Boston. We've been there, done that, and don't want it again. I'm so tired of people coming to Boston and not "being able to handle the pressure" garbage. It must be nice to go somewhere and make millions of dollars and not be saddled with expectations. Apparently that is what the West Coast is all about. All the cheese minus the whine.

Manny needs to go. He is rain man with a bat. If Boston can pick up some high profile prospects from Anaheim like Santana, Kendrick, Wood, McPherson...etc...it would be a BIG time win for Boston. Saving that money and getting decent potential in return. Plus less the headache of a bellyacher.

Numbers are great and sabermetrically the Sox put a great team on the field but man...how do you factor BELLY ACHE into PECOTA?

Let Nomar go to Pittsburgh were he can make his money and not be riddled with "expectation" God, we wouldn't want him to actually EARN his money. ;-7
Amish Rake Fight 2005, 2007 Northern Lights Baseball Champs
AmishRakeFight2005
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:14 pm

Nomar couldnt handle the pressure? I think he would feel at home in Boston again and could easily adapt to the atmosphere again. Do I think it is realistic? Not a chance.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby AmishRakeFight2005 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:48 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Nomar couldnt handle the pressure? I think he would feel at home in Boston again and could easily adapt to the atmosphere again. Do I think it is realistic? Not a chance.

One of Nomar's infamous quotes was on the plane heading back to NY after the Sox beat the Yankees in game four of the 03 ALCS. He was overheard saying, "I don't know why everyone is so excited. They're only going to rip us in the papers after we lose."

I don't want that bum on my team.
AmishRakeFight2005
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:59 pm

Interesting quote, never heard it before. I think he can handle the pressure but as far as being a team player....he didnt help his case when he just sat in the dugout during a Yanks game and refused to join his teammates on the rail. I think he may realize now that he may not get a 4-5 yr deal for 60 mil anymore and could fill a void at 2nd. Again, I dont think it is going to happen simply wishful thinking.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AmishRakeFight2005 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:13 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Interesting quote, never heard it before. I think he can handle the pressure but as far as being a team player....he didnt help his case when he just sat in the dugout during a Yanks game and refused to join his teammates on the rail. I think he may realize now that he may not get a 4-5 yr deal for 60 mil anymore and could fill a void at 2nd. Again, I dont think it is going to happen simply wishful thinking.

I looked for the quote...Dan Shaunnassy (misspelled but you know who I mean)...reported it and Nomar didn't deny it. Nomar is a good guy but he is a lowkey guy. Soft spoken and very sensative. Boston is not a good place to play if you're that way.
AmishRakeFight2005
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:16 pm

It was good enough for him to win 2 batting titles, but you're right he is a sensitive guy. Couldn't deal with the hardtimes.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:24 pm

Your right, he is a sensitive guy. But he was able to deal with the pressure for all of the time he was here however he did ruin his image in his last season with Boston. A year later, I wonder if that image can be repaired.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nuclear29 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:43 pm

Nomar to Pitt makes sense. Small change and big incentives. If he looks like he may hit those incentives, they could always trade him at the deadline. Buster Olney said that Nomar has stated he will play anywhere at any position. Why not Pitt?
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers