Baseball Fights - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Fights

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Fights

Postby Juhlz » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:54 pm

I have an idea for a rule change. Why not let players fight like in hockey and suspend anyone who leaves the dugout? In hockey you don't see (usually) other players jumping in.

This would accomplish a few things. One, when you have pile-ups people get spiked and others that are trying to break it up get hurt inadvertantly.

Next, I think some players fight with the notion that they will land a couple good shots and it will get broken up right away. If the player knows he will be out there solo, he may be less likely to brawl.

Add more excitement to the game. Some games drag on and a good mano y mano scuffle would add some zest.

I know there are no absolutes and you have to protect your players. Too bad you can't get back at players like they do in hockey without fighting. Like a good hip check off the boards. The baseball equivalent would be a second baseman being able to hip check a runner trying to advance to second - that would add some spice and get things square without fighting - though this kind of thing might end up in fight.

Another thing, that kid on cal fullerton was thrown at intentionally. When he squared around to bunt the pitcher adjusted and threw right at his mug.

Any other thoughts
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:21 pm

Hell no that would be so stupid. In hockey they're on skates and the one who loses balance and falls down loses. They grapple with each other's jerseys and to tie up their arms, and they wear helmets which sometimes don't even come off during fights.

In baseball it wouldn't be about throwing the other player to the ground, it would be about punching the daylights out of him.

A hockey fight is a battle of control, grappling, and balance.
A baseball fight would be a street fight. Stupidity.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:21 pm

Hell no that would be so stupid. In hockey they're on skates and the one who loses balance and falls down loses. They grapple with each other's jerseys and to tie up their arms, and they wear helmets which sometimes don't even come off during fights.

In baseball it wouldn't be about throwing the other player to the ground, it would be about punching the daylights out of him.

A hockey fight is a battle of control, grappling, and balance.
A baseball fight would be a street fight. Stupidity.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:53 pm

I've been watching baseball for 20 years and yesterday's brawl in Cincinnati is the first time I ever remember seeing blood let. Nasty. There should be some harsh suspensions arising out of that, on both sides.

I watched part of that game and I blame the umps, at least partially, because they allowed things to get out of hand. Prior threw behind LaRue, then Wilson hit Alou -- at which time warnings should have been issued to both benches. But nothing was done. Then Farnsworth threw inside (whether it was intentional or not remains arguable) on Wilson and all hell broke loose. What were the umps doing while all of this was building up -- sleeping?

Great line in the Cincy paper today though -- an anonymous Cub was quoted as saying Farnsworth's take-down of Wilson was "the best tackle they've seen in this town in 20 years". LOL, I love it!
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rotisseriking » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:11 pm

In theory good idea...but: in hockey there are 6 players from each team on the ice. In baseball the defense has 9 players, the offense has the hitter, the guy on deck and 2 old basecoaches. So it just wouldn't work.
rotisseriking
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:30 am

;-D
rotisseriking wrote:In theory good idea...but: in hockey there are 6 players from each team on the ice. In baseball the defense has 9 players, the offense has the hitter, the guy on deck and 2 old basecoaches. So it just wouldn't work.

;-D I was just gonna say, it would all change after the very first fight.
9-1 is not fair at all.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby DEF » Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:16 am

The Jury wrote:In hockey they're on skates and the one who loses balance and falls down loses.

Obviously don't know much about hockey fights. Believe me, if Player A lands 3-4 solid punches, then gets wrestled down because Player B doesn't want to continue to get beat on trading punches, then Player A certainly does not "lose" the fight. The takedowns hurt a hell of a lot less than the punches and have nothing to do with who "wins" or "loses". Of course, in hockey fights winning and losing is not the most important thing; showing up is what matters. Hockey fights take place for very specific reasons -- standing up for a teammate, sticking up for yourself, trying to change the momentum of a game, etc., and what counts most is having the willingness to do it whether you want to or not when the time calls for it.

The idea of instituting "hockey-style" rules with regards to fighting in baseball is an interesting concept, but not likely something we'll ever see. It would certainly cut down on the number of fights though if players knew they had to handle things themselves and wouldn't have 40 other guys charging in within seconds. Batters would think twice about charging and pitchers wouldn't be so eager to brush guys back knowing they wouldn't have the rest of the club jumping in right away. The problem would be breaking up the fights, as I can't see the umpire's union being willing to act like hockey linesmen and step in between guys trading punches.

The 9-on-1 argument completely misses the point by the way, as obviously the other players on the field would not be allowed to jump in. In hockey it's called the third-man in rule, in which anyone on the ice that jumps into an altercation once it's under way is ejected. That's separate from the suspension for leaving the bench to join an altercation.

Seriously though, I think our focus should be less on worrying about the fighting going on now in baseball and more on the utter lack of fighting in today's brutally boring Bettman Era (or rather Error) of NHL hockey. I mean, the Reds have already had more fights this week than the Red Wings had all of last season. Bring back the old Chuck Norris Division and the great old rivalries and we won't have to look to baseball for our fighting fix.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers