Cards offer Burnett 4/40mil (like we been saying all along) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cards offer Burnett 4/40mil (like we been saying all along)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:26 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i'd like to see another source confirm it before getting too excited. i am curious if its a guaranteed fifth year as walton says or some sort of vesting option. yesterday the rumor was $ 8 mil (2006), $ 10 mil (2007), $ 11 mil (2008), $ 11 mil (2009), $ 12 mil (2010) or $ 3 mil buyout. 5th year option vests based on innings pitched.

I consider you to be a solid source, so the thread title is good enough for our needs. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:00 am

well i'm just throwing up links ;-)

anyway, here is another one:

burnett all but a done deal
By lboros
Posted on Sun Dec 04, 2005 at 11:45:00 PM EST

shows you what i know. i wrote just this morning that burnett's agent doesn't seem to realize his client ain't a-gonna get 5 guaranteed years, and no way would jocketty cave in to his amateurish tactics.

ummm . . . . . brian walton is reporting at the birdhouse that burnett has agreed to terms with the cardinals, and he thinks it's a 5-yr guaranteed deal.

my man hawg wild, who is down in dallas at the winter meetings, has essentially the same information. he isn't sure about the 5th year but is trying to confirm; he says don't order your burnett jersey until there's a press release on cardinal letterhead, but the deal is basically done.

Entry Link :: 3 Comments

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/

the 'hawg wild' character referenced used to run a pretty good cardinals web site (might even be a member here?) and seems to be pretty reliable.

i'd bet that the 5th year wont be guaranteed but would be easily obtainable via a vesting option.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:31 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i'd bet that the 5th year wont be guaranteed but would be easily obtainable via a vesting option.

Like this:

"If A.J. Burnett can go to the restroom by himself at any point in 2009, his 2010 option will automatically vest."
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:26 am

walton is now singing a slightly different tune. last time i listen to that guy.

Burnett Deal Almost Done

By Brian Walton

Date: Dec 5, 2005

Toronto camp believes they are still in it, however. Washington also may be preparing a bid.

An unconfirmed but reliable source informed me on Sunday that free agent pitcher A.J. Burnett agreed to terms with the St. Louis Cardinals. It is believed to be a five-year guaranteed deal, the approval of which by Chairman and General Partner Bill DeWitt was apparently the final step.

General Manager Walt Jocketty reportedly delayed his original Sunday departure for the Winter Meetings in Dallas due to the Burnett situation. Our belief, yet to be confirmed, is that Burnett is en route to St. Louis late Sunday night or Monday to complete his physical, the passing of which is a contingency to complete the deal. Jocketty arrived in Dallas late Sunday night.

However, Toronto representatives contacted late Sunday night by our Scout.com Inside the Dome team were not aware of any pending agreement. In fact, as of then, the Blue Jays believe they are still in the race and are prepared to go five years in their offer to Burnett, according to Inside the Dome.

ITD also reports a Monday afternoon meeting is planned between the Washington Nationals and Burnett’s agent and if the offer is not to Burnett’s liking, the Cardinals may be given the final ok then.

Additional Inside the Dome news here (subscription).

More details will be posted as we learn them.

Brian Walton can be reached via email at mailto:brwalton@earthlink.net.

Updated at 7:45am Monday.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:15 am

rotoworld.com

Late indications on Sunday night suggest that A.J. Burnett is on the verge of joining the Cardinals, according to the Toronto Star.

Scout.com's Brian Walton is reporting that the Cardinals and Burnett have agreed to a five-year deal. If so, it'd probably be in the $50 million range, or less than he could have gotten from another team. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is still reporting that the Cardinals won't guarantee a fifth year, which might mean there's a vesting option involved. Dec. 5 - 4:41 am et

http://www.thestar.com/
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby sockeye » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:39 pm

In any case, it sounds like there's a reasonable chance the crads have made some serious progress (if not wrapped it up). I sure have mixed feelings about Burnett in a Cards uniform. Breaking precedent to get a questionable guy with a .500 record. Let's hope it pans out....

Rotation in 06?
Carp
Mulder
Burnett
Suppan
Reyes?

Will they trade away Marquis and, if so, will it be for an OF or RP?
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 pm

sockeye wrote:In any case, it sounds like there's a reasonable chance the crads have made some serious progress (if not wrapped it up). I sure have mixed feelings about Burnett in a Cards uniform. Breaking precedent to get a questionable guy with a .500 record. Let's hope it pans out....

Rotation in 06?
Carp
Mulder
Burnett
Suppan
Reyes?

Will they trade away Marquis and, if so, will it be for an OF or RP?
If Burnett signs Marquis is gone. Most likely for an OF.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Wozzyck » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:07 pm

Gammons is reporting on ESPNews that Burnett is likely to sign with the Jays.

ESPN's Peter Gammons says A.J. Burnett will likely go to the Blue Jays for five years and $55 million.
Reportedly, Burnett's agent wants to talk with the Cardinals one more time. However, the deal with Toronto could be agreed to within the next honor. It sounds as though the Cardinals just won't guarantee him the fifth year. Dec. 5 - 5:56 pm et

From Rotoworld.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:28 pm

GJG is happy :-b

With Loaiza and Byrd going at 7 per year, I don't see how Burnett will ONLY get 10 per year
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:41 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:GJG is happy :-b

With Loaiza and Byrd going at 7 per year, I don't see how Burnett will ONLY get 10 per year

5 years at 55 million is 11 per year..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers