Cards offer Burnett 4/40mil (like we been saying all along) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cards offer Burnett 4/40mil (like we been saying all along)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cardinals make offer to Burnett .. 4yrs/40 mil

Postby Halo Homers » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
wrveres wrote:
STLPD wrote:
The Cardinals officially have placed themselves in contention for free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett by breaking precedent with a four-year offer worth almost $10 million per season, sources confirmed Thursday night.

Burnett, the centerpiece of the Cardinals' offseason planning so far, is considered the most attractive talent within a relatively thin free-agent pool. The Arkansas native is expected to decide among several offers before Major League Baseball's winter meetings convene Monday in Dallas.

To be honest, I think this is the one he was waiting for.
I think he signs in STL by Sunday

Back to the topic at hand. I'm pessimistic about this. I'd love to see him in STL and the deal sounds reasonable but from all the reports Burnett could get more money elsewhere.

The 4/40 sounds way to low the way the free agent market is going so far. Earlier post stated 5/65, I think that is very close to what it will take, 4/48 or 5/60 might get the job done. Even at 4/40, its a heck of a risk.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 pm

Molina better be prepared to sit on the bench at the All Star game, if that's what you mean. He can watch McCann while he's sitting there :-D
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:19 pm

Just put Maquis in the OF, he can mash.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hersch223 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:27 am

RAmst23 wrote:I'd think AJ's value increases on the Cards. Good pitching coach, solid bullpen and team behind him.

Honestly, I can't think of one pitcher in our bullpen that I'd call solid. Thompson and King are good, if they could just be more consistent. Izzy puts up solid numbers when healthy, but you can't rely on that too often. Even then, how many of us feel like the game is over when Izzy comes in the game? I never do.

Now, a good setup guy would give everyone else a defined role in the pen, and that would make things better, but we don't have that right now.

As for AJ, I could see him signing a 4-yr deal, with an option for a 5th that gets picked up if he reaches certain numbers.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:35 am

RotoWorld wrote:Sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that A.J. Burnett will sign with the Cardinals if the club adds another year to a four-year, $40 million proposal.
Views: The Cards knew going in that Burnett wanted that fifth year. If they can really get him for $50 million, they might as well do it.

I still think he can get more money from other teams than that (I'm pretty sure the Jays are willing to go to 5 years-55 million), but if he really wants to play in St. Louis, will he take that minimal pay cut to play there? I think so.

The decision may come tomorrow or the next day with him..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:18 am

I believe Furcals 13 million a year signing might raise the market for Burnett a million or so a year, as Furcal was only expected to go in the 10 million a year range or so in the first place
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:39 am

Just speculation but I don't think Burnett will be signed until the Zito and Vazquez deals go down. As soon as those deals are finished there will be some desperate teams and his leverage will increase dramatically.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:48 pm

mweir145 wrote:
RotoWorld wrote:Sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that A.J. Burnett will sign with the Cardinals if the club adds another year to a four-year, $40 million proposal.
Views: The Cards knew going in that Burnett wanted that fifth year. If they can really get him for $50 million, they might as well do it.

I still think he can get more money from other teams than that (I'm pretty sure the Jays are willing to go to 5 years-55 million), but if he really wants to play in St. Louis, will he take that minimal pay cut to play there? I think so.

The decision may come tomorrow or the next day with him..

i get the impression he wants to go with the cards, but is flirting with the other teams and threatening to go to the meetings unsigned in an attempt to get a better offer from the cards. i've even heard a rumor (of the really unreliable sort) that the cards have offered as high as 4/43. i'd do that. even the 5/50 isnt bad but i'd like that to be an option. with as crazy as the market is now, if burnett disappoints he could be tried as a closer when izzy is gone or pawned off on someone else after eating maybe 3mil a year on his contract. if loaiza is getting 3/21 i reckon someone else would gladly gamble on him for 7-8 a year. if he works out and blossoms into an ace, 10 mil a year would likely end up being a bargain.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:15 pm

Amazinz wrote:Just speculation but I don't think Burnett will be signed until the Zito and Vazquez deals go down. As soon as those deals are finished there will be some desperate teams and his leverage will increase dramatically.

Hmmm.....never thought of that. I don't think Zito's going anywhere myself since the A's aren't really in a position where they have to move him like they were last year, and I think having him around (at least 'til the deadline) while the young guys mature would be a smart move by the A's. Vazquez on the other hand is as good as gone IMO, just a question of where.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:23 pm

Yeah assuming Zito is traded but there is a lot of smoke here. Personally I think that Zito will be a Ranger, Brave or Met by Friday morning.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers