Cards offer Burnett 4/40mil (like we been saying all along) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cards offer Burnett 4/40mil (like we been saying all along)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cardinals make offer to Burnett .. 4yrs/40 mil

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:23 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Back to the topic at hand. I'm pessimistic about this. I'd love to see him in STL and the deal sounds reasonable but from all the reports Burnett could get more money elsewhere.

i am kind of pessimistic as well. i think aj could get a lot more elsewhere. i know he grew up a cardinal fan and i think the cards would get some sort of discount, but i figured with the way things are going so far burnett could get around 12 a year and five guaranteed years.
Last edited by j_d_mcnugent on Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:30 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
wrveres wrote:But that shouldnt matter to STL, who has been trotting out Mabry and Taguchi for the last couple of seasons.

Klesko would look good in Red.
The Mabry/Taguchi platoon only happened for half a year in 2004. Before that it was Drew and after that it was Walker. Mabry signed with the Cubs. So if the choices are Klesko or a Taguchi/J. Rodriguez platoon, I'll take the latter.

Mabry in 2004
Taguchi in 2005

Isnt that what I said ..
I guess I didn't word it well enough ..

Oh well, now your groupies are going to be upset with me .. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:19 pm

As a Cubs fan, I hope this falls through. :~(
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby foulballstrike3 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:33 pm

As an O's fan, I hope not either. I wouldn't be opposed to the O's paying him $10mil for 4 year.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby foulballstrike3 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:34 pm

As an O's fan, I hope not either. I wouldn't be opposed to the O's paying him $10mil for 4 year.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:50 pm

I see AJ signing with the Cards, but not with this deal. Wouldn't be suprised if the deal ends up being 5/60. Regardless who the Cards get to play OF, this would make them one of the toughest NL teams again (Woo go home team). Eckstein, Edmonds, Pujols, and Rolen is good enough to knock runs in, Molina is getting All-Star like.

I'd think AJ's value increases on the Cards. Good pitching coach, solid bullpen and team behind him.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:51 pm

Trade Kesko to the Rockies and turn all of his warning track outs to HR for one of their good young 3B. Anybody else notice how many towering warning shot blasts he hits, not just @ home? It is kinda funny.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:33 pm

RAmst23 wrote:I see AJ signing with the Cards, but not with this deal. Wouldn't be suprised if the deal ends up being 5/60. Regardless who the Cards get to play OF, this would make them one of the toughest NL teams again (Woo go home team). Eckstein, Edmonds, Pujols, and Rolen is good enough to knock runs in, Molina is getting All-Star like.

I'd think AJ's value increases on the Cards. Good pitching coach, solid bullpen and team behind him.

Your right, I think the Jays and a few other teams will push it up. The Jays really can't go past Halladay's salary though..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:36 pm

I just read this:

TheGlobeandMail wrote:Given a chance to play baseball in his backyard once again, Brian Giles elected to remain with the San Diego Padres instead of moving north -- either to Los Angeles or Toronto.

"Can't play our games in everybody's backyard, can we?" Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi asked yesterday. "Our only fear in going after Brian was that San Diego would get back in the picture."

The Blue Jays did reach contractual agreement with a player yesterday -- but it wasn't free-agent right-hander A.J. Burnett, one of the three free-agents targeted by Ricciardi this off-season. Instead, while discussing parameters of a deal with Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, who has told clubs the pitcher wants $13-million (all figures U.S.) a year for five years, the Blue Jays reached agreement with one of their own, outfielder Reed Johnson, on a $1.425-million contract.

Johnson, who hit .269, with eight home runs and 58 runs batted in, and made $342,000 last season, has been a valuable swingman in the Blue Jays' outfield.

Advertisements

Ricciardi spoke last night with Braunecker, and would not say whether he made a formal offer for Burnett. "We're not going to negotiate this through the newspapers," Ricciardi said.

Braunecker, who could not be reached for comment, has narrowed down his client's list of clubs, and several sources have said the Blue Jays and St. Louis Cardinals are the most ardent suitors.

Earlier this week, Ricciardi told the brass at Rogers Media, the Blue Jays' owners, that he does not want to guarantee Burnett a fifth year and would prefer instead to make the fifth year an option based on Burnett's reaching incentives in the earlier years of the contract.

But asked yesterday whether he still felt that way, Ricciardi said he was "50-50." Translation: if the fifth year is the only thing standing in the way of Burnett's signing, Ricciardi might now take the plunge.

The Blue Jays, who signed B.J. Ryan to a five-year, $47-million deal on Monday, saw Giles take the Padres' offer of three years and $30-million instead of Toronto's three-year, $33-million proposal.

Giles's agent, Joe Bick, told Ricciardi his client would have signed with the Blue Jays were it not for renewed interest from the Padres, who pulled out of the running for Giles last week, but returned to the bargaining table on Tuesday.

Giles told reporters in San Diego that he thought a charge by the Padres' division rivals, the Los Angeles Dodgers, was behind the renewed interest. The Dodgers offered Giles three years and $34.5-million.

"I think the Padres knew I was going to sign with the Dodgers, and that changed their minds," Giles told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Giles, who will turn 35 in January, will be paid $9-million in base salary for each of the next three seasons. The club has an option on a fourth season at $9-million in 2009 against a $3-million buyout. That buyout figure is factored into the total cost of the deal, bringing it to $30-million.

Baseball's winter meetings will begin in Dallas on Sunday, and Giles's decision means Ricciardi will now rekindle discussions with the Texas Rangers about Kevin Mench, although if the Rangers ask for Miguel Batisa, Alex Rios and Brandon League, as they did at the general managers meetings in Indian Wells, Calif., it would be a short discussion.

Mench is a right-handed hitter and Ricciardi said that makes him of more interest to the club than Lyle Overbay, a left-handed-hitting first baseman whom Ricciardi asked the Milwaukee Brewers about at those meetings. But the Blue Jays are also prepared to revisit that discussion.

13 million for 5 years? 8-o 8-o

If that is what it is going to take to get Burnett, let him go.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:24 pm

If it ends up being 4/$40, I'll be happy since it means they'll finally unload a complete headcase in Marquis for an OF bat, but I'll be very surprised if he goes for that little.

I guess if they do end up landing him they'll be going after Buehrle next since they're obviously trying to bring back all the midwest guys to STL now that they've got Mulder. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers