So how are you liking your Netflix? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

So how are you liking your Netflix?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So how are you liking your Netflix?

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:35 am

I'm loving mine.

I've had the $20 subscription since August - 3 dvds at a time.

There is a distribution center somewhat near my city and the turnaround time is incredible. I can return a movie in the middle of the week and receive a new movie in just 2 days. The weekends can cause a day or two delay.

I have twice received a dvd that was completely busted, and you just return it. In fact, they sent me my replacements before they even received the broken dvds on both occasions. The other odd situation I had just last week - I never received the dvd, but it must have been returned to them because they had it showing that I returned it. So I just had to queue it up again.

What's cool is all these recent tv series coming out so quickly on dvd. I'm just about through with Freaks and Geeks and next on my list is 24 - Season 1. I have never watched an episode before so I'm glad I held out to see it all chronologically.

Anyone have an opinion on the short-lived series called Undeclared?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:08 am

I've enjoyed mine greatly. I did just downgrade my subscription. Do to the new baby we just don't find as much time to watch the movies (imagine that ;-7 ). We rented "Crash" recently and had it for a month before we finally found time to sit down and watch it. So I downgraded from the 2 at a time for $14.99 to the 2 at a time with a 4 movies a month cap for $11.99.

Even if Blockbuster is offering the same service they can go to hell. You can't patch up 15 years of crummy service with me by offering online rentals.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Re: So how are you liking your Netflix?

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:13 am

Sticky Spice wrote:Anyone have an opinion on the short-lived series called Undeclared?

Fabulous show that saw an unfortunate early demise. Chalk it up as another great series that FOX killed off prematurely. Hey FOX, maybe when you have a critically acclaimed show (like Arrested Development), instead of burying it in a horrible time slot and offering literally no promos, maybe you should market the s*** out of it and put in a slot that makes sense.

Seriously? They can cram ads for "House" and "Prison Break" down our throats non-stop during sporting events but can't do anything for AD? I find that amazing.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:09 pm

I did the trial for like 20 days or so and it was really cool. I just don't watch that many movies
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:23 pm

The problem is, you can't get any of the new releases quick enough. We did it for a couple of months then decided to stop.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:30 pm

As far as new releases go, they almost always suck... I put them in my queue, but there's so many great movies in just the last 10 years I haven't seen, it's never an issue and when a new release comes in, it's a nice little surprise. I'd say that about two movies are released per month that I would even consider wanting to watch.

But here's my problem... bad DVD's. Now, on three different occassionas I have received defective discs, a problem I had not encountered in my first few months of membership.

The first two didn't play at all, so I reported them damaged and they sent a new one out right away. That is nice.

But this week I rented the Brazilian film "City of God." I had heard it was good, and although I have consistently loved every foreign film I've seen, I'm always a little reserved about getting them... I mean, I don't watch movies so I can read, but they're almost always fantastic.

So, I start watching City of God and right away I was enthralled... the film is an absolute masterpiece. And half way through... BOOM! Can't read disc.

Now THAT's a buzzkill. I'm waiting for a replacement to come in now. Don't tell me what happens if you've seen it. I just hope that bastard Li'l Dice gets whats coming to him.

(I recommend the movie if you can stand to read subtitles... it's fantastic... so far).
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:29 pm

Yoda wrote:The problem is, you can't get any of the new releases quick enough. We did it for a couple of months then decided to stop.

This isn't an issue for us because we don't care about getting new releases immediately. If it was something we really wanted to see, we'd have gone to the theater for it and if we really liked it we would just buy it when it comes out on DVD.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:46 pm

My inlaws use the Blockbuster one and everything seems good. Haven't tried Netflix.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:24 pm

I love netflix. I've reported 2 broken dvds and 4 lost dvds in the mail and they've been 100% supportive.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:28 pm

ironman wrote:
Yoda wrote:The problem is, you can't get any of the new releases quick enough. We did it for a couple of months then decided to stop.

This isn't an issue for us because we don't care about getting new releases immediately. If it was something we really wanted to see, we'd have gone to the theater for it and if we really liked it we would just buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Our home entertainment set up is near theater quality so it's better for us to rent something for $4 than pay $30 to go to the movies to see something that comes out on DVD 3 months later.

I also stopped buying movies unless it's really worth it since it's an expensive habit.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk