where did u go to college? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

where did u go to college?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:11 pm

There's not a lot of evidence on differences in the quality of education across universities, but there is evidence on the economic returns to education...and there it's clear it does matter where you go.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:15 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:There's not a lot of evidence on differences in the quality of education across universities, but there is evidence on the economic returns to education...and there it's clear it does matter where you go.

Well that is all well and good, but I'm doing just fine regardless. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:56 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:There's not a lot of evidence on differences in the quality of education across universities, but there is evidence on the economic returns to education...and there it's clear it does matter where you go.

Probably more because of who you meet there rather than the education you get. There are obviously exceptions to that comment, but I would bet on that scenario being a majority.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:00 pm

Let's Go Redmen!

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:10 pm

JTWood wrote:

Probably more because of who you meet there rather than the education you get. There are obviously exceptions to that comment, but I would bet on that scenario being a majority.

exactly!
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:13 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
JTWood wrote:

exactly!

Well, label me naïve, but I was more concerned with understanding what I was learning than I was with meeting people who could hook me up with cushy jobs and salaries I maybe didn't deserve.

That's not me.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:33 pm

psu has a really nice football program and syracuse has a solid bball program. both are pretty sweet for parties. :-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:37 pm

JTWood wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
JTWood wrote:

exactly!

Well, label me naïve, but I was more concerned with understanding what I was learning than I was with meeting people who could hook me up with cushy jobs and salaries I maybe didn't deserve.

That's not me.

You seem to be missing the point. You can understand what you learn and get a hell of a lot out of an education at lots of schools. And that is important.

But part of life is also the networking and connections you make, which open up opportunities. And those happen to be better at certain places than others.

It's not connections or education. It's education and lots of connections versus education and fewer connections.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:26 pm

Well my college won't help at all, cause the one I went to has no sports program at all. I went to IADT, which stands for International Academy of Design and Technology (if you love around Tampa or St. Pete you see the commercials all the time).

Anyways, I did go to USF (South Florida) a bit before then, though I can't comment to much about the athletic programs.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:37 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
JTWood wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
JTWood wrote:

exactly!

That's not me.

You seem to be missing the point. You can understand what you learn and get a hell of a lot out of an education at lots of schools. And that is important.

But part of life is also the networking and connections you make, which open up opportunities. And those happen to be better at certain places than others.

It's not connections or education. It's education and lots of connections versus education and fewer connections.

I think it helps to be at a college that has a strong program for the field you pursue. For example in Iowa there are three state schools. If you're interested in becoming a teacher I'd recommend UNI. If you want to get into agricultural science or engineering then ISU is the place to be. If you want to be a hippie, then go to U of Iowa ;-)

I kid, I kid. Iowa is decent for law, medical, and business.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk