Mock Auction Complete! Results! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mock Auction Complete! Results!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:38 am

grammysboy wrote:While I'm at it, I don't want to brag up my team too much, but the guy who gave me a C+ for starting pitching apparently hasn't heard of Dontrell Willis, Doug Davis, Zach Duke or Mark Buehrle. That's a foursome I spent a total of $52 on. I'll take the D- on relief pitching with no argument, but that starting pitching has to be better than a B.


C'mon, now. All four of those pitchers are either overrated or are due for a drop in 2006. Better than a B? Not in my book.
Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 6725
Joined: 5 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Funny movie quote that everyone knows

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:42 am

Pedantic wrote:
grammysboy wrote:While I'm at it, I don't want to brag up my team too much, but the guy who gave me a C+ for starting pitching apparently hasn't heard of Dontrell Willis, Doug Davis, Zach Duke or Mark Buehrle. That's a foursome I spent a total of $52 on. I'll take the D- on relief pitching with no argument, but that starting pitching has to be better than a B.


C'mon, now. All four of those pitchers are either overrated or are due for a drop in 2006. Better than a B? Not in my book.


I disagree getting those 4 guys for 52 bucks was a great deal.

Duke- He's a solid young prospect who yes was pitching over his head as a rookie in the 2nd half last year but he's definitely not overrated.

Buerhle- People have been saying for the last 3 years he is due for a drop because he's pitched too many innings blah blah blah. Well he hasn't, he's been solid all of those last 3 years.

Willis- I'm no fan of him either and I'm sure this won't be as well of a season for him but he's still a top 20 pitcher in my book.

Davis- I'll give you that one.
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby Pedantic » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 am

Red Stripe wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
grammysboy wrote:While I'm at it, I don't want to brag up my team too much, but the guy who gave me a C+ for starting pitching apparently hasn't heard of Dontrell Willis, Doug Davis, Zach Duke or Mark Buehrle. That's a foursome I spent a total of $52 on. I'll take the D- on relief pitching with no argument, but that starting pitching has to be better than a B.


C'mon, now. All four of those pitchers are either overrated or are due for a drop in 2006. Better than a B? Not in my book.


I disagree getting those 4 guys for 52 bucks was a great deal.

Duke- He's a solid young prospect who yes was pitching over his head as a rookie in the 2nd half last year but he's definitely not overrated.

Buerhle- People have been saying for the last 3 years he is due for a drop because he's pitched too many innings blah blah blah. Well he hasn't, he's been solid all of those last 3 years.

Willis- I'm no fan of him either and I'm sure this won't be as well of a season for him but he's still a top 20 pitcher in my book.

Davis- I'll give you that one.


Duke definitely not overrated? From where do you get definitely? I see plenty of talk that leads me to think that he will be very overrated in 2006. What kind of numbers do you see him putting up next year?

When I say I think Buehrle will experience a drop, I don't mean a complete drop off the radar due injury or otherwise. I do mean that he will not post an ERA that low again. He's not that good.

Yes, Willis probably won't be horrible all of a sudden in 2006. That, however, isn't the point. You can't have a top pitching staff if that staff is populated with mediocrity. Just because most of the pitchers on his staff probably won't post a 5.00 ERA out of the blue doesn't automatically make it good enough to be a top staff either.
Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 6725
Joined: 5 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Funny movie quote that everyone knows

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:29 am

grammysboy wrote:While I'm at it, I don't want to brag up my team too much, but the guy who gave me a C+ for starting pitching apparently hasn't heard of Dontrell Willis, Doug Davis, Zach Duke or Mark Buehrle. That's a foursome I spent a total of $52 on. I'll take the D- on relief pitching with no argument, but that starting pitching has to be better than a B.

Willis
Buehrle
Duke
Davis
Better than average but not great. I'm sticking with the C+
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21514
(Past Year: 455)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby cordscords » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:43 am

I hate my team :~(
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 156)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: skjelstrom and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact