Mock Auction Complete! Results! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mock Auction Complete! Results!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:07 am

Comrade Antelope wrote:Id like to hear a little less on how teams compared to each other and a little more on how much certain players went for.

Sigh. Do people even read? :-[
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:48 am

outstanding team pogo. it has everything an owner could ask for, power, speed and great pitching staff, the best in the league...by far. ;-D

congratulations on this great team. that's the mark of a man who truly is a fantasy baseball expert. ;-D ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:25 am

I originally posted this in the Auction Commentary so everyone might not have seen it.
No real research went into this just my first impression at looking over everyone's roster.

cordscords
Offense - B-
SP - D
RP - A
Best buy - T. Clark $1
Worst buy - not many bad buys but I wouldn't have spent $12 on B. Molina
Overall - C-
$16 left on the table is a mistake.

dyuen87
Offense - B
SP - F
RP - A- (depending on Gagne's health this is an A+ or B- so I split the difference)
Best buy - Bay $35
Worst buy - There are some gambles here, Howard at $27 being the biggest.
Overall - C
This is a stars and scrubs team if I've ever seen one.

chadlincoln
Offense - C-
SP - A -
RP - A+ - 3 solid closers
Best buy - F. Cordero $8
Worst buy - Not many bad buys. Dye at $10 is the biggest gamble.
Overall - B+
If the offense comes through chad's team will be a force.

logan
Offense - C-
SP - B+
RP - D
Best buy - Schilling $7 well worth the gamble
Worst buy - Taveras $12.
Overall - B-
Solid team. Could have SP to spare and Linebrink becoming a closer would help alot.

Copperheads
Offense - A
SP - F
RP - C-
Best buy - I didn't see many bargains probably cause the roster isn't full. Rodney for $5 seems like the best bet.
Worst buy - Mench $12.
Overall - C
If he finds some pitching he'll be dangerous.

grammysboy
Offense - B
SP - C+
RP - D-
Best buy - Buehrle for $10. Some real nice $1 buys too.
Worst buy - Dunn $35.
Overall - C+
The potential is there, now the players just need to fulfill it.

thomasps3
Offense - C
SP - B
RP - D-
Best buy - Griffey $11.
Worst buy - Rolen $25.
Overall - C
The 1-2 punch of Santana and Felix could be huge.

Irish
Offense - C-
SP - C+
RP - A
Best buy - Benitez $8.
Worst buy - I-Rod $21.
Overall - C+
There are some players here that could really pay off.

CA
Offense - B
SP - A
RP - D-
Best buy - Hermida $1.
Worst buy - I like Mauer a lot but $20 seems like too much to me.
Overall - B+
Solid except for RP. Maximized his money.

J35J
Offense - B+
SP - D
RP - C-
Best buy - Hafner $23.
Worst buy - Sweeney $7. Not bad for the cost but he doesn't have a spot in the lineup with Sexson, Ortiz and Hafner.
Overall - B-
I've seen solid hitting and suspect hitting win more than a few leagues.

pokerplaya
Offense - B
SP - B
RP - A
Best buy - Wagner $15.
Worst buy - Can't say I see a bad buy but Pods $23 and Bonds $19 seem like the most risky.
Overall - B+
If his DL-prone team stays healthy look out.

kevinms33
Offense - B+
SP - D
RP - C
Best buy - Loretta $1.
Worst buy - Posada $11 or Javy $7. Either way only one catcher is starting.
Overall - C+
Once again solid hitting and suspect pitching is a recipe for success.

Steamers
Offense - C
SP - B-
RP - C
Best buy - Valverde $5.
Worst buy - J.Peralta $20
Overall - C+
Pitching could be great.

I like my team but I like pokerplaya's, chadlincoln's and Comrade Antelope's teams too.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby SCARPARIELLI » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:46 am

Pedantic wrote:
Comrade Antelope wrote:Id like to hear a little less on how teams compared to each other and a little more on how much certain players went for.

Before you jump on him for being so much less thorough than you, take a step back. I'm assuming that you are implying that Comrade failed to notice that all of the rosters and player prices had been posted earlier, in fact he took part in the draft and is definitely well aware of the prices that each player fetched. I'm interpreting his request to be somewhere along the lines of "What do you all think of Player X going for $Y?". Seems like everybody is more concerned with whose team is gonna kick @ss, while as far as I can tell this league doesn't even exist. Comrade seems to be one of the only posters using this MOCK for instruction rather than egostroking.

ps. POGO4EVER!
SCARPARIELLI
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Comrade Antelope » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:49 am

SCARPARIELLI wrote:
Pedantic wrote:

Before you jump on him for being so much less thorough than you, take a step back. I'm assuming that you are implying that Comrade failed to notice that all of the rosters and player prices had been posted earlier, in fact he took part in the draft and is definitely well aware of the prices that each player fetched. I'm interpreting his request to be somewhere along the lines of "What do you all think of Player X going for $Y?". Seems like everybody is more concerned with whose team is gonna kick @ss, while as far as I can tell this league doesn't even exist. Comrade seems to be one of the only posters using this MOCK for instruction rather than egostroking.

ps. POGO4EVER!

Thanks SCARPARIELLI, thats what I was trying to recommend. perhaps I could have been more clear.
"...I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue..."
Comrade Antelope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:16 pm

Pedantic wrote:I never said anyone got owned nor does a large margin constitute a 50 point blowout. However, Pogo really did handily outmaneuver most of the field. The team that comes closest in my estimation is pokerplaya's. If only he had more power and didn't spend $23 on Podsednik. ;-)

chad, you do have nice pitching. But look at your hitting. That can't compete at a high enough level to win a league, unless they all have career years -- and I do mean career. Home runs are one category, and I'm not even sure you'll do well in that one.

I know it's a mock, but if everyone just wants a pat on the back, why post it for everyone to see? Isn't it supposed to be practice to improve your skills? How can you improve if you don't know what you did wrong? You asked for opinions and I gave my unbiased views. Take away the names and I'd still have said the same thing.

I give credit where it's due. I don't, however, give credit where it's not due. To win, you must have the best overall team. The best. Not the best pitching staff (and, of course, pitching isn't exactly a good basket to keep all of your eggs). The fact remains, most teams made at least one critical error. You can't make those and still expect to win every time. And we are here to win, no?
Good reply. I'm not looking for a pat on the back though. I just thought you were being bias about pogo with your happy face you put there. Just seeing if there was some underlying joke. I know my hitting isn't the best, but I though Pujols and Young would set me up well. Dye has hit 30 HR's the past 2 years, and Mcpherson I took because it's a keeper auction and wanted a cheap prospect.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:19 pm

Always nice to look at an auction mock like this. What did you guys find out during the draft that you will take to your real auction leagues? Where is the value in terms of positions? Where is the value in terms of the draft progression? If you could do it over, would you spend a lot of money early like I assume many did, or would you be frugal in the beginning so you are in position for the better values later in the draft? Who do you think is specifically being overvalued/undervalued?

I know there is a lot of questions in there, but this is the type of thing I am interested in - draft strategy.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Always nice to look at an auction mock like this. What did you guys find out during the draft that you will take to your real auction leagues? Where is the value in terms of positions? Where is the value in terms of the draft progression? If you could do it over, would you spend a lot of money early like I assume many did, or would you be frugal in the beginning so you are in position for the better values later in the draft? Who do you think is specifically being overvalued/undervalued?

I know there is a lot of questions in there, but this is the type of thing I am interested in - draft strategy.

If I could do over again i don't think I would spend over 30-35 dollars on ANY one!! You can fill your roster with a bunch of very good 20-25 dollar players and later in the draft get a handful of "steals" for 15ish dollars and have a full roster of nothing but 15-25 dollar players instead of a couple 35 dollar players and a 50 dollar player then a bunch of 5-10 dollar players. In other words there are way too many gems to be had for under 30 dollars, just look at Pogos team!!

Also, I said it once before and I will say it again, this was just a learning experience for some of us and i know I wasn't there to try to draft the best team necessarily I just wanted to see how it worked and what I could take from it. If I wanted to draft the best team and put 100% effort into it, I would have had a set of rankings/projections/other teams rosters/etc, etc, etc. I didn't have any of that and I didn't want any of that because this was just merely a learning experience for me and I'm sure it was for others as well. So you all can get off of Pogos jock for a second and realize that if he didn't have the best team I would wonder about his knowledge because he Administered this whole thing so he knew who everyone had at all times and what players were still available, etc, etc. And I don't think most of us really cared (I know I didn't) because like I said this was the first time for most of us and we used it more as a learning experience. But props to Pogo anyway because he did make out with the best team........whoopty freakin dooooooooo... ;-D !+)

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:19 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Always nice to look at an auction mock like this. What did you guys find out during the draft that you will take to your real auction leagues? Where is the value in terms of positions? Where is the value in terms of the draft progression? If you could do it over, would you spend a lot of money early like I assume many did, or would you be frugal in the beginning so you are in position for the better values later in the draft? Who do you think is specifically being overvalued/undervalued?

This auction had the heavy bidding early. I would not pony up for these inflated prices so I ended up waiting until most teams had 3-5 players before I won an auction. I liked that strategy and I think it paid off. In short, I do the opposite of what everyone else is doing. That is the key to me. If everyone is going to drive up the cost of the elite, there is going to be some nice values later on. I like the depth of 3rd this year, and if I had to do it again, I wouldn't spend 18 on Chipper.

Honestly, I think the most overvalued players are the Vlad/Arod/Santanas of the world. Fifty bucks on anyone is ludicrous. I'll take a combo of Bonds/Sheets/Wagner for 56 over Vlad for 50 every day of the week.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby grammysboy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:26 am

I went back and looked over Pogo's roster again. By all means, if the baseball world goes perfectly next season, he has a fabulous team.

That said, he is depending on several players who are extremely "long in the tooth." Clemens is leaning toward retirement, Frank Thomas is always an injury risk, Izzy and Hoffman, while dominant are both capable of spending long stints on the DL. Delgado, Kent, Chavez and Jeter for $90 is phenominal! ;-D Livan Hernandez for six bucks could be the best buy on his roster.

As I said in the auction commentary, almost every team in this group has strengths and weaknesses. Each of us would have to address those pretty early in the season either through free agent pick-ups or trades. One thing we didn't allow in this auction that made previous ones interesting were trades during the acution. When some of the owners who overspent decided the big name player wasn't worth that, they might be able to trade him for two or three players more reasonably priced. I certainly would have made Dunn available with his $35 price tag, and late in the draft when someone needed some power they might have come begging for him.

While I'm at it, I don't want to brag up my team too much, but the guy who gave me a C+ for starting pitching apparently hasn't heard of Dontrell Willis, Doug Davis, Zach Duke or Mark Buehrle. That's a foursome I spent a total of $52 on. I'll take the D- on relief pitching with no argument, but that starting pitching has to be better than a B.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers