Signing of Johjima... What about Jeff Clement? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Signing of Johjima... What about Jeff Clement?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Signing of Johjima... What about Jeff Clement?

Postby jeff926 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:40 am

The Mariners just spent their 1st round draft pick (3rd overall) on Jeff Clement last summer, and now we sign a superstar catcher from Japan. I've heard rumors that Clement's bat is already at a level considering a call up. Does this signing slow down Clement's progress to the bigs?
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:16 pm

He'll probably start in the minors, most likely AA. Depending on how well Johjima does will determine whether they call him up or not. However, I don't think they'll rush him..

Still a great prospect IMO ;-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby oakiedragon » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:28 am

This signing was a result of a desperate and immeadeate need for a catcher by the M's. This will slow clement's progression through the system but overall will be best for him in the long run. His bat is already ahead of his peers but from what i hear, as with most good hitting catchers i.e. Neil Walker, Salty their d- is not up to par. So his development will be better in the long run because he'll have more time to develop a better all around game rather than being rushed and having problems. I dont know the length of jojima's contract but my guess is that this was done to sure up the position until clement is pretty much garunteed to succeed when he is called up. I think the M's are scared off of rushing catchers after the Olivo fiasco, (he could have used more time in the minors) so they did what they do best and signed a top japanese player. I also belive this move is done to help bolster fan support which has waned over the past two losing seasons, which is evidenced by ichiro's comments. So to put it bluntly; yes it will slow clements rise to the majors, but no it will not hurt him. He'll have all the time to work out the kinks and when he's ready the job will be his.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:08 pm

What do you expect from Clement for numbers when he does make it to the majors? Would you spend the first pick in the minor league draft on him? Guys like Hendricks are gone. Lets just say all the household big name minor leaguers. We can keep them on a reserve squad as long as they don't get called up for more then two weeks.
AL Only
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby Morrison8312 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:42 pm

Surfs up wrote:What do you expect from Clement for numbers when he does make it to the majors? Would you spend the first pick in the minor league draft on him? Guys like Hendricks are gone. Lets just say all the household big name minor leaguers. We can keep them on a reserve squad as long as they don't get called up for more then two weeks.
AL Only

You mean Kendrick?
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Surfs up » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 am

Yes Sorry hit the H instead of the K
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager