Innings pitched limit, how to handle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Innings pitched limit, how to handle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Innings pitched limit, how to handle

Postby titanut » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:10 pm

I am currently 41 innings over. My SPs are: Wood, Hudson, Willis,
Seo, Batista and R Franklin. I think I should start them everytime
except for horrible matchups and not worry about the innings limit.
I figure an injury will occur or Seo or Willis will cool off. Am I right ?
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:55 pm

I think that you are better off just using starting pitchers whenever you have favorable matchups. As you said, injuries and other problems will wind up making up for it later on in the season. Even if you get lucky and don't get nailed with injuries, if you can use up your pitching innings with decent stats, you can then trade pitchers away for hitters after your innings are used up.

The only caution that I would have would be not to totally use up your limit if you still need saves. A typical closer throws 75 innings a year, or 15 innings per month, so you might want to leave enough room to use your closers for the rest of the season. For example, if you are close to running out of innings by the end of August and have three closers, you will want to leave 45 innings for closers.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:46 pm

Last month, I was 70 innings over, then Ainsworth went down, Contreras went down, Fossum went down, and Moss and Benson decided to play through nagging injuries. Now I'm 21 innings over and dropping.

I think it's okay to be over, just as long as you reserve enough innings for your star pitchers and bullpen. I wouldn't go over 100 innings though, and after the all-star break, I would look to steadily bring that number down if you don't get any injuries.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Return to Baseball Leftovers