It's Finally Time to be Proud - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's Finally Time to be Proud

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It's Finally Time to be Proud

Postby Jester » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:34 pm

I am proud Blue Jay Fan.

"The New York-Boston thing was getting old everywhere except, well, New York and Boston. " - Ian Browne in a column on BlueJays.com

This comment really got me thinking about being a fan of something that never really gets the time of day normally. Being a fan of the Jays, and coming to places like this all of the time is like trying to justify a 7-2 hand in poker cause sometimes it wins - but against the big boys it just doesn't cut it.

The Jays are finally putting their best foot forward and trying to truly compete next year. Words like "five year plan", "all in good time" and "can’t compete with that kind of money" are not being muttered this year - which gives hope to the Toronto masses - finally.

Alex Rios, Russ Adams, Gustavo Chacin, Guillermo Quiroz, and finally Aaron Hill; what a great start. For years we've been hearing about these guys, and watching them develop as true major league players - but my God - what a relief it is to hear now that the Jays are finally "step (ing) up to the plate and get (ing)involved with some of the teams that were out there bidding" - JP

I don't really care if the overspend - as long as they bring in quality players that will push them over this hump they've been resting on for about 10 years. Threads debating "Overpaying Ryan" - "Giles too Old" - in the end I could give a crap. These are quality "proven" players. Debate all you want about how proven, or how old, these guys will help this team win games. Period.

On top of all this - they are making these moves in a year that the Yankees are quiet, and the BoSox are really in turmoil as far as a certain direction that the team is going. JP has built a team that is affordable and talented, and fans in Toronto are truly breathing the fresh air that has been sorely missed for many years.

Nobody thinks the World Series in just around the bend, but finally people are starting to mutter "Playoffs Maybe??". That’s a real start in my opinion.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:40 pm

funny. i know the blue jays have gotten better, but unless im very mistaken, it's only been ONE signing and he comes in for ONE inning usually. and they STILL dont have the best closer in the division. dont get me wrong i think the blue jays are better but playoffs? really? lets not get over excited okay.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm

dyuen87 wrote:funny. i know the blue jays have gotten better, but unless im very mistaken, it's only been ONE signing and he comes in for ONE inning usually. and they STILL dont have the best closer in the division. dont get me wrong i think the blue jays are better but playoffs? really? lets not get over excited okay.
:-b correct
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Jester » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:42 pm

dyuen87 wrote:funny. i know the blue jays have gotten better, but unless im very mistaken, it's only been ONE signing and he comes in for ONE inning usually. and they STILL dont have the best closer in the division. dont get me wrong i think the blue jays are better but playoffs? really? lets not get over excited okay.

Wow, you missed the point.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:01 pm

What are you talking about? Ryan is way better than Keith Foulke.

It's not just the one signing, it's also the fact that we haven't let someone go or traded someone away in a salary dump. Our good players are all coming back, our kids are one year older and we are signing new players. Meanwhile the Yankees players are one year closer to social security.

Don't tell us not to get overexcited. We'll get overexcited when it damn well suits us. I'm overexcited right now and I won't have you raining on our parade Scrooge. B-)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:02 pm

btw - great post Jester.

These guys are just jealous that we are talking about something other than Jeter's dating habits or A-rod's numbers.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:06 pm

what did mookie just say :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:07 pm

As thrilled as most blue jays fans are right now( heck I know I would be pumped if I were a blue jay fan right now), I am twice as thrilled as the Jays fans are just due to my team getting a owner that wants to possibly, how do I put this, WIN some games in the very near future. So yes Blue Jays fans enjoy this offseason, as I have a feeling I will be enjoying the 2006-07 offseason just as much as yaw are now. ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jester » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:btw - great post Jester.

These guys are just jealous that we are talking about something other than Jeter's dating habits or A-rod's numbers.

:-b
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:10 pm

It is nice to see other teams step up and get involved in the bidding. I'm not excited that it's Toronto, since they are in my division, but it's interesting none-the-less.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers