Cards keep their sights on Burnett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Cards keep their sights on Burnett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cards keep their sights on Burnett

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:03 am

Link

I still don't know about this one. If the price is right, I'd be all for it, but the way the pitching market has been so far I don't know. :-o Hopefully if they do land Burnett that means that Marquis is packing his bags and will be shipped somewhere for OF or more pen help.

I do really like the part about Dotel thought. :)
STLPD wrote:Dotel is seeking a one-year contract, laced with incentives
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:23 am

is this the right price?

This one is considered the most plausible by the Cardinal faithful, and Walt Jocketty's wooing of Burnett is well-known. Burnett's agent stated yesterday that a deal could be "one phone call away." Jocketty doesn't seem like the type to go to five years, $65MM for a starter, but he has to be considering it.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:39 am

ThatDude wrote:is this the right price?

This one is considered the most plausible by the Cardinal faithful, and Walt Jocketty's wooing of Burnett is well-known. Burnett's agent stated yesterday that a deal could be "one phone call away." Jocketty doesn't seem like the type to go to five years, $65MM for a starter, but he has to be considering it.

NO

If FA are going to be this overpriced this year, Walt should be making some trades and waiting until next year to sign someone when better talent is available.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby ThatDude » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:47 am

what exactly do the cards have to trade?

im not the most informed person on their farm system, but im pretty sure its consistently been in the bottom part of the ML as far as talent for a while now

Anthony Reyes looks to be a valuable trading chip, but there doesnt seem to be much past that
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:54 am

ThatDude wrote:what exactly do the cards have to trade?

im not the most informed person on their farm system, but im pretty sure its consistently been in the bottom part of the ML as far as talent for a while now

Anthony Reyes looks to be a valuable trading chip, but there doesnt seem to be much past that

Mostly pitching. Marquis, Reyes, Wainwright, King. Walt has been pretty inventive before so I could see a trade happening.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:57 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
ThatDude wrote:what exactly do the cards have to trade?

Mostly pitching. Marquis, Reyes, Wainwright, King. Walt has been pretty inventive before so I could see a trade happening.

Ditto on both of those. Any trade they do make won't be centered around prospects I wouldn't imagine, the Cardinals don't really have much and if they're making a deal they want major-league ready talent in return. I think a Marquis+King/Wainwright for OF and/or pitching would make the most sense at this point.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 am

brian walton from scout.com is saying

As I said yesterday, by all indications, the Cardinals and Burnett have an agreement in place. It could be four years plus an option. But, it has not been finalized by Burnett. The Cardinals expect a final answer prior to the Winter Meetings, which don’t officially begin until next Monday.

However, if a Baltimore (the home area of Burnett’s wife) or Toronto steps in with a better deal in the meantime, all bets could be off. The Cardinals don’t think that will happen, but they have been disappointed before.

Losing Burnett at this point could be devastating for the Cardinals, who have been working on a related trade of Jason Marquis and others for offensive help. That will likely take the form of an impact corner outfielder, but could possibly include a second baseman.

he's not a liar, although he has jumped the gun a little bit. earlier he believed a giles signing was very close. i'd suspect if he is right, the 'finalizing' has to do with deferred/backloaded money and that sort of stuff.

as for tradable comodities, in addition to the above, there are chris lambert (sp), travis hanson (3b/2b), and the group that we just drafted that includes some intriguing players like rasmus, webber, mccormack, and so on. by most accounts reyes wouldnt get moved. there's enough to pull off a trade centered around marquis, who is getting more and more valuable every time an estaban loaiza signs a 7 mil a year deal.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:55 pm

There's no point in breaking the bank for another SP. Am I the only person who thinks that we could do just fine using Anthony Reyes?
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:26 am

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:There's no point in breaking the bank for another SP. Am I the only person who thinks that we could do just fine using Anthony Reyes?
Reyes should start in the rotation no matter what. If another SP was signed Marquis would be traded.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:49 pm

Starting to look like Marquis is sticking around. :-[
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals